Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Food Shopping & Groceries > Great 'Extreme couponing UK' Hunt - tell us your ... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Great 'Extreme couponing UK' Hunt - tell us your tips and tales
Closed Thread
Views: 64,816
# 1
WOW Factor 0
MSE Jenny
Old 16-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Senior Writer
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Great 'Extreme couponing UK' Hunt - tell us your tips and tales

OFFICIAL MoneySavingExpert Post
A new series of the US TV show Extreme Couponing kicks off next week on Discovery Real Time. Something of a cult among forumites, the programme shows coupon addicts who spend 40 hours a week clipping coupons and stockpiling 1,000s of freebies.

We an exclusive sneak preview below, plus we want to hear your top UK extreme couponing techniques.

Tell us your tips and tales

Many Extreme Couponing techniques don't cross the pond - sadly US supermarkets are more generous than ours.

So we'd love to hear MoneySavers' (legal) Extreme Couponing UK tips and stories. For example, look for coupons on already-discounted products, as they'll work out uber-cheap.

Plus serious couponers draw up a coupon battle plan before hitting the store, and systematically file coupons in a concertina folder, split into sections such as meat or veggies.

Please hit reply to tell us your top coupon maximising strategies.

Exclusive Extreme Couponing clips

Discovery Real Time has given us an exclusive glimpse of the new series, which launches Mon 22 Aug at 10pm. Watch the first clip below or watch all five clips.

How to build your coupon stash

Coupons are everywhere. Root through junk mail, scout around tills, rip them out of magazines - they all add up.

The Supermarket Coupons deals note is a regularly updated list of current legitimate coupons.
Also keep an eye on this forum's fab Printable money-off coupons thread.

The Magazine Offers Thread is another excellent resource, where MoneySavers kindly catalogue all coupons and offers in current magazines. If the magazine costs more than the coupon's worth, it's not worth it. But if you were buying your fave glossy anyway, you're quid's in.

Finally, dedicated MoneySavers update a daily newspaper summary with all the coupons from that day's papers. To find the info, go to the Discount codes n' voucher Forum board and look at the NEWSPAPER SUMMARY thread.

Don't miss another deal! Get MoneySavingExpert's Weekly Email
It's full of new guides, tips, & loopholes; free & spam free

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 16-08-2011 at 1:00 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MSE Jenny For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
claire16c
Old 16-08-2011, 5:52 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I watched this in the US and wish I could do some of these techniques but there just dont seem to be the coupons and store policies to do it here. For example of the programme, all the supermarkets they go to seem to give the customer twice the discount thats on the coupon. Plus if a store has an offer on theyll let the customer use the coupon too, whereas here it will always say on the back 'Not in conjunction with any other offer' or something to that effect.

So Id love to know if anyone has got anywhere near what the people on this programme do!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to claire16c For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
no_choice_now
Old 16-08-2011, 9:27 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart

Errr this isn't a sneak preview of the new series, that's from Season 1 and I watched it about 6 months ago???
# 4
no_choice_now
Old 16-08-2011, 9:29 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by claire16c View Post
nywhere near what the people on this programme do!
There are ways to do very well, last week I got a 70 shop down to about 20 and built up my stockpile. I wasn't even using all of the techniques we can use to decrease it further.

But like you say I wish the UK was more like the US when it comes to coupons. Stores here seem to hate them, I wonder if they have any idea how much more trade they'll attract if they loosen up a bit?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to no_choice_now For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
karlie88
Old 16-08-2011, 9:47 PM

bah! this is nothing!

a few months ago thousands of us did 'extreme couponing' in the UK....it was called Tesco Price Check.

in most cases, we got paid to take the shopping away (unlike the woman above in the youtube video). furthermore, we didn't have piles and piles of coupons. in my case, i had 100 coupons (initially) then it went down to 20 coupons.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to karlie88 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Xyon81
Old 16-08-2011, 11:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

This show is amazing there are people saving 98% on their shopping bill where that equates to just under $2000 - almost feel sorry for the retailers.

http://www.get-coupons.com/page/extreme-couponing has a top 10 tips for extreme couponing.

A lot of basics that get forgotten like Checking store couponing policy before you go so your transaction isn't void'd and to make sure you can USE the items you stock pile before they expire.

Last edited by Xyon81; 17-08-2011 at 12:17 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xyon81 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
noyb1234
Old 17-08-2011, 12:11 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

HAHA, I love how dramatic the show makes it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noyb1234 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Raven
Old 17-08-2011, 1:32 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlie88 View Post
bah! this is nothing!

a few months ago thousands of us did 'extreme couponing' in the UK....it was called Tesco Price Check.

in most cases, we got paid to take the shopping away (unlike the woman above in the youtube video). furthermore, we didn't have piles and piles of coupons. in my case, i had 100 coupons (initially) then it went down to 20 coupons.

Ah yes, the good ole days.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raven For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
CouponWoman
Old 17-08-2011, 8:11 AM

Using coupons is getting more and more difficult in the UK. My local tesco has decided to have a 3 identical coupons policy, so even if you buy 10 products you can only use 3 coupons agains them. (original coupons or internet ones, not copies btw)

There are also some supermarkets that won't accept internet coupons at all.

The UK will never be as good at couponning as the US as UK supermarkets hate coupons.

CWxx
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CouponWoman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
edinburgher
Old 17-08-2011, 8:47 AM

Another point to consider is will you actually *use* the items that the coupons are for? Because there's no point in buying groceries just because they're cheap.

Fair enough, some staples like toiletries etc. will often work out as a great deal (and will last for ages), but how much room does the average person have for bottles of mouthwash, hair gel and shampoo? I watched an episode of Wipeswap USA (very classy I know, think I was hungover) and one sad sack couponer had a garage half full of toiletries, but looked like she barely even bothered to brush her hair of a morning!

Also worth noting that many coupons are for pre-processed/junk food. While there's nothing wrong with having a few frozen pizzas or whatever on standby for when you're absolutely nackered, you don't want your entire diet to consist of white flour and preservatives. There's also no point in buying unhealthy food just because it's cheap - you only get one body!

Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 23-08-2011 at 4:24 PM.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to edinburgher For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
DettaWalker
Old 17-08-2011, 9:08 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by edinburgher View Post

Also worth noting that many coupons are for pre-processed/junk food. While there's nothing wrong with having a few frozen pizzas or whatever on standby for when you're absolutely nackered, you don't want your entire diet to consist of white flour and preservatives. There's also no point in buying unhealthy food just because it's cheap - you only get one body!
Absolutely agree on that one! We saw what kind of weight problems the lady had unfortunately. If you stockpile not only unhealthy food, but also more than you can really eat before it goes off, you'll end up eating much more than you otherwise would have. So even if the 3 for 2 offers in supermarkets on some goods sound temping, if I only need one, I will only buy one.

Personally I'd love to save more money using coupons, but if you do have a full-time job and kids there is only so much time you want to spend on collecting and organizing coupons. It is great though for people who do have the time at hand and get a kick out of it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DettaWalker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
no_choice_now
Old 17-08-2011, 9:42 AM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Another point to consider is will you actually *use* the items that the coupons are for? Because there's no point in buying groceries just because they're cheap.
Yeah recently another thread was talking about some greedy little piggy buying 30 bags of apples. Some couponers take it to strange levels.

The biggest thing I have in bulk is 140 boxes of cotton buds. I use them frequently (a box a week), they last decades and the price always goes up, so I get as many as I can whenever a deal arises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponWoman View Post
The UK will never be as good at couponning as the US as UK supermarkets hate coupons.
We need to try and get this changed rather than just accept this as the way things are. If any supermarket would listen to concerns over curbed coupon usage it would doubtless be the co-operative stores.

The Following User Says Thank You to no_choice_now For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
CAz7999
Old 17-08-2011, 12:38 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default self serve tills

Sorry if stating the obvious, but the self serves tills are great for using coupons, especially the self printed ones which seem to confuse the staff no end. Also useful for the timid coupon user )
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to CAz7999 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Xyon81
Old 17-08-2011, 12:46 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:

Fair enough, some staples like toiletries etc. will often work out as a great deal (and will last for ages), but how much room does the average person have for bottles of mouthwash, hair gel and shampoo? I watched an episode of Wipeswap USA (very classy I know, think I was hungover) and one sad sack couponer had a garage half full of toiletries, but looked like she barely even bothered to brush her hair of a morning!

Yeh i like the tips make sure you can use it or at least use it before it expires. and make sure you have room in your house!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Xyon81 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
punkpink
Old 17-08-2011, 2:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Just watched 'Extreme Couponing'

I just watched a couple of episodes of the 1st series (missed it the first time) and i watched one woman split her shopping into 18 different transactions so as to maximise her savings. Would any one in the UK do the same? I feel bad enough when i get a grumpy look from a cashier as a say 'the next one is mine too'!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to punkpink For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Cazzdevil
Old 17-08-2011, 3:15 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkpink View Post
Would any one in the UK do the same? I feel bad enough when i get a grumpy look from a cashier as a say 'the next one is mine too'!
From the sounds of things 'coupon culture' is completely different in the US and cashiers expect a more frequent use of them. Perhaps if supermarkets had policies similar to those in America we might feel more comfortable using far more.

Coupon policies must be seriously laid back over there, my folks used to deliver the local free paper and occasionally there'd be free coupons to slot inside so any spares we got to keep but most shops only accepted 3 in any one VISIT (not per transaction, per visit to the shop!) so it's far more difficult to maximise savings with them here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cazzdevil For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Seakay
Old 17-08-2011, 3:24 PM

I've tried using coupons at the self serve till in Tesco and the automatic voice kept on requiring an assistant. In the end someone came over and just checked all my coupons through for me so although initially slightly embarassing I did end up with my shopping being processed more quickly than usual as the self serve tills always seem to have a fairly senior or at least experienced member of staff to help out
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seakay For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
mushypeaman
Old 17-08-2011, 4:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seakay View Post
I've tried using coupons at the self serve till in Tesco and the automatic voice kept on requiring an assistant.
Same thing at Asda diy tills, but no hassle from staff so nice and easy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mushypeaman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
networkbunny
Old 17-08-2011, 4:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponWoman View Post
Using coupons is getting more and more difficult in the UK. My local tesco has decided to have a 3 identical coupons policy, so even if you buy 10 products you can only use 3 coupons agains them. (original coupons or internet ones, not copies btw)

There are also some supermarkets that won't accept internet coupons at all.

CWxx
i just been to my tesco and used 14 of the same coupon for aunt bessies they had no prob they all went threw ok x but some of then they say only 3
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to networkbunny For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
jtz
Old 17-08-2011, 4:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Wow, after watching the clips, I'd be amazed to see any Tesco trouts processing even a quarter amount the coupons used in those clips!
All the clips showed, very friendly staff and not once did they say anything like, sorry we don't accept so many coupons, one per transaction e.t.c, even when a problem did occur, the manager was so quick to solve it!
Imagine DTDing in the US!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jtz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread