MSE News: British Gas suspends doorstep selling

Options
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"British Gas will halt door-to-door selling for three months, though it expects the decision to become permanent ..."

Comments

• jhp
    jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2011 at 10:52AM
    Options
    "The company said that it plans to focus more on its partnership with Sainsbury's, with many more of its doorstep sales staff being trained to acquire customers in Sainsbury's stores. "

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2011/08/british-gas-suspends-doorstep-selling-262340/
  • backfoot
    backfoot Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Very good reason to shop elsewhere then.:)
  • broxis11
    broxis11 Posts: 240 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome news for all concerned I would say.

We knew about this weeks ago but didn`t expect it to be rolled out as quickly as it has been.

We`ll still be selling but by appointment only and will now be trained to advise on all of the BG products such as solar, central heating systems and to carry out CWI surveys.

I`m personally delighted that we won`t be cold calling anymore as it is unwelcome, outdated and unpleasant for all - mainly due to the other companies who do it in an uncompliant manner and tarnish those doing it in a truthful manner. I`m delighted that BG have recognised this and are leading from the front once again :j
    :money:
  • mattcanary
    mattcanary Posts: 4,420 Forumite
    Options
    Well, BGas were not the first utility company to end door-to-door sales...
  • eurmalian
    eurmalian Posts: 288 Forumite
    Options
    mattcanary wrote: »
    Well, BGas were not the first utility company to end door-to-door sales...

Indeed they aren't. The article does cover that though (shock! An MSE articlewith some correct background in it!)
    I am an employee of British Gas, however the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Centrica, its subsidiaries or affiliated companies.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just had 3 guys in jackets and ties,carrying clipboards, wandering down the road. Didn't answer the door.....but I wonder which utility mob they are with ? LOL
  • backfoot
    backfoot Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Just had 3 guys in jackets and ties,carrying clipboards, wandering down the road. Didn't answer the door.....but I wonder which utility mob they are with ? LOL

BG doorstep rioters ?
  • broxis11
    broxis11 Posts: 240 Forumite
    Options
    backfoot wrote: »
    BG doorstep rioters ?

I doubt that there will be many protesters following todays news! Quite the opposite in fact.
    :money:
  • Tangible
    Tangible Posts: 219 Forumite
    Options
    Cynical old me thinks perhaps that they are reacting tardily to the legislation mentioned on the moneysaving news part of the forum

£500,000 fines for cold calling
    26 May 2011

....and that their greater interest is to avoid copping a massive fine rather than some altruistic change of heart.
    Never ever give your card details to anyone over the phone, and check the reputation of any company you do intend to give them to.
  • paulsad
    paulsad Posts: 1,315 Forumite
    Options
    You know in my desperate search for a new job the only time I was actually hounded to join a company was to do door 2 door with British Gas - they were keen to employ me - good job I declined really when I found out it wasn't appointment based.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure