June 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    toddles* wrote: »
    My OH's favourite SW recipe for tea - sticky chicken.
    skinned chicken thighs browned with lots of onions, few chilli flakes, 2 tbsp soy sauce and about 15g sweetener. Mix it all up and pop it in the oven in a caserole dish for 30 mins. Serve with baked spuds and salad. nom nom

this sounds lovely will try it as DD's have just strated doing SW

CRANKY40 wrote: »
    .I also had my 2 1/2 stone off award this week at fat class, yay!

:T:T:T

wonderfullife welcome :)

NSD day today , just made a SW chicken curry for tea which they can have with rice and i'll have veggies
  • 69chick
    69chick Posts: 544 Forumite
    espresso21 wrote: »
    Stuck at work with a pounding migraine where every movement makes my head hurt more and my stomach churn. Not helped by the fact that the migraine tabs cost £4 each! I can't wait for the end of the day even if it is still a long way away. I'm not sure what I will do for dinner tonight - I'm not usually up for cooking or eating when i feel like this so might just pick up some sausages and rolls on the way home and let hubby feed himself! I hate days like this as they make all my meal plans and budgeting fall by the wayside.

I get days like this too, 'damage limitation days' just think where you would be if you didn't plan/budget at all :eek: Hope your head clears soon, I woke up with a horrible headache this morning, but it did clear mostly (just a bit muzzy now) aten't they just the worst :(

Mothership if you are around can you clarify something for me about the 2nd purse system (I am obv a bit thick where these things are concerned!) do I take it that you buy your stocks when on offer with the 2nd purse money, put them away, then do you pay back the purse the full retail value of the item say for example a box of teabags as and when you take the box from your stock to start using??

The only thing with me is that I tend to buy all my groceries either when a) they are on offer anyway as I am not fussed by brands or b)if no good offer on branded then the basic/cheapy options.....do you think this would still work for me as I love the idea....

I thought I would put the difference between my budget for June and what I actually spend in the purse to start me off,then put £10 a week in...
    Starting with Avon C6 target sales £150.00
  • crockpot
    crockpot Posts: 631 Forumite
    Well my week started yesterday and I spent £10, today been to m & s, Mr M`s and aldi and spent another £34.35 and did not think I needed much!

Got the Dine in deal from M and S, might have ended up with a takeway and that would have cost more.

I keep saying to myself that I need to keep out of the supermarket, will try and online shop again next week, always spend less but do forget stuff, have to be more organized! Have an £5 e voucher so that will cover delivery.
  • My secret plan for not wanting to cook is to make a huge stew with everything in it and freeze it in single portions in plastic takeaway cartons. 300-350 grams is plenty for a portion - I do usually weigh it out as it always looks a bit mean in the tub but is plenty when tipped out on a plate. That way I can stick however many in the microwave; either serve on their own or with tinned veg or rice or something else easy. Knowing it is there cuts down on the temptation to get takeaway when you know you're not really going toenjoy it anyway.
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    nsd for me today - yeah! Still sticking to my whole once a week thing so far. Haven't been in a sm since Sunday, I'm so proud of myself! Don't actually need anything either. So far, my list for Sunday is bread, milk, fruit (a little), maybe some spuds and some sandwich bags. Let's hope it doesn't get any longer!!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,656
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I am going to join in the grocery challenge next month, I need to do something as I cannot go into a supermarket without spending £10 at minimum. My cupboards and freezer are full to the brim and still i buy more just because it is a bargain!!!
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 17 June 2011 at 8:00PM
    Been to Mr M tonight with DH (lethal:eek:). Spent £34 and change. £5 was a book for DFIL for father's day and £8.74 on beer for the weekend for me and DH. I used £18 of savings stamps and I don't include the beer or gift so a grand total of £3.14 to add to the GC.

Got some good offers on fab lollies, 100% free, which are DH favourite snack, 2 packs of whoopsied Qu0rn lamb steaks which will do 2 meals for the 2 of us and 26 packs of walkers for £3 which will last about 4 days if I don't split them and hide them from DH:rotfl:

Got a couple of £1.50 pizzas for tea fom Mr M which were lovely.

Only 4 days of the GC month left for us and DH does not need lunches for 2 of them so I just need to plan 4 evening meals.

Have a lovely weekend everyone x

EDIT: Forgot to add the £1.29 I spent at work today
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,656
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 June 2011 at 7:47PM
    And heres a recipe for a healthy prawn and chickpea curry.
    1 finely chopped onion
    2 tablespoons curry paste
    150 ml coconut milk
    150 mls vegetable stock
    1 tin chickpeas drained and rinsed.
    225g frozen prawns thawed
    coriander or spinach
    juice of half a lime

In a pan heat a tablespoon of oil, add onion and fry gently for 5 minutes.
    Add the curry paste and fry for another minute
    Stir in the coconut milk, stock and chick peas and simmer for about 10 mins
    Stir in the prawns and simmer for about two minutes, add the coriander and/or spinach and the lime juice and heat through. Season to taste.

It is very tasty and quick and easy to make, serve with rice, nan bread or on a baked potato.
  • 69chick
    69chick Posts: 544 Forumite
    JIL wrote: »
    And heres a recipe for a healthy prawn and chickpea curry.
    1 finely chopped onion
    2 tablespoons curry paste
    150 ml coconut milk
    150 mls vegetable stock
    1 tin chickpeas drained and rinsed.
    225g frozen prawns thawed
    coriander or spinach
    juice of half a lime

In a pan heat a tablespoon of oil, add onion and fry gently for 5 minutes.
    Add the curry paste and fry for another minute
    Stir in the coconut milk and chick peas and simmer for about 10 mins
    Stir in the prawns and simmer for about two minutes, add the coriander and/or spinach and the lime juice and heat through. Season to taste.

It is very tasty and quick and easy to make, serve with rice, nan bread or on a baked potato.

Thanks for this recipe, I have got everything in for it and I love a prawn curry but have never cooked one myself! its only me that does prawns in my house...a quick question - will I be able to freeze this if I do a big pan of it? if so will I need to make sure I buy fresh prawns that have never been frozen?
    Starting with Avon C6 target sales £150.00
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    £7.62 spent in Asda last night on 3 x body spray, razors, a pizza, mini rolls and crackers.

That will be it for June as i'm off on holiday tomorrow :)
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport