March 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Winged_one
    Winged_one Posts: 610 Forumite
    I spent €61 over the weekend. €28 in the fruit and veg shop (a LARGE bag of bits) and €33 in Mr D. We didn't need a huge amount - bread, milk, sandwich meat, cotton buds, bin bags, toothpaste, cornflour...couple of other bits.

I am back on the salads for lunch this week, so 2 carrots, half a pepper, a handful of lettuce leaves, a handful of cherry tomatoes and half a dozen olives in my tub today.

We boiled a large joint of bacon last night, and DH used it for his and DD's sambos today as well. I will use more of it tonight in a macaroni cheese (with lots of veg too).

Sat: Roast chicken thighs with feta and thyme, roast potatoes, buttered leeks (HG), roast cherry tomatoes
    Sun: Bacon, brocolli, cauliflower, roast potatoes, cheese sauce. HG Rhubarb for desert.
    Mon: Mac 'n' cheese (with bacon, mushrooms, peppers, mangetout, onion, garlic, and peas)
    Tues: Sweet'n'sour pork (pork pieces in freezer, and with extra veggies)
    Wed: Shep pie (freezer)
    Thurs: Full proper fry up (very rare in this house!)
    Fri: Perhaps something quick and easy, or takeaway
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    well it will be a NSD for me today , tomorrow and the next day on the count that i am SKINT :eek: its been such a long month :(
    on the positive side i think i have enough of everything to last until friday and i can make bread if we need it . I will run short of veggies for the guinea pigs , but i will pick some grass and dandelion leaves for them ;)
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Morning peeps :wave:

i`ve just totalled up my receipts for the month, I`m under on the petfood at £45.34 and over on our food at £157.26 :eek: thats quite a lot over and i`ve not done that for a long time so i`m a bit shocked.

Some of the overspend is because of a healthier diet and some is due to stocking up on offers this month so its not too bad really.

I have enough shampoo & conditioner & other toiletries to last the rest of the year now :o and enough tea bags and flour for several months. I`ve also cleared out the kitchen cupboards and was a bit surprised at whats accumulated in there lately :o

Later today or tomorrow i shall make new freezer lists and also do a new meal planner to see if i can bring my totals down for next month.

So MrsM i would like to declare at £157.26 for food please and £45.34 for the pets.

I`m off to catch up with the thread now as i hate it when i get behind.

Have a good day peeps.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    hi....poster who mentioned freezer running down...we go to costco fbuy meat to fill it up...then spend 6ish weeks emptying it...when we can see the bottom of the freezer we know its time to go again:j

we too are having a pie for tea with leftover chicken from a roast...tomorrow though as we fancied fajitas today:j

just made a chocolate cake for packups this week....kitchen smells lovely...need to do an asd£ shop today or tomorrow...its really foggy here today..which is wierd so might do that tomorrow

have a nice day
    tess
    onwards and upwards
  • Well, I didn't officially join the March challenge but I had a personal goal of not spending over £300 and I am pleased to be able to declare the month finished at £288.19 :)

Please could I join for April; if you could put me down for £150 (this isn't a drastic drop - I am away for two weeks staying with family and although I will be buying some groceries this will be out of my "holiday" budget and I am not including in my general April grocery spend).

Thank you :) And thank you for such an interesting and inspiring thread!
    GROCERY CHALLENGE
    January £214.42/£300.00 :D
    February £268.37/£325.00

DMP - Too high to admit in public :o
  • cutiepieabf
    cutiepieabf Posts: 344
    PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    cat_smith wrote: »
    How is it that despite living out of the freezer last month the freezer is still full to bursting? NSD today. After ordering my takeaway last night, by the time it arrived I wasn't really hungry, so there is plenty for both of us tonight and more.

haha, is it because you batch cook? or freeze your leftovers?
    DFBX2016 #160 - £3550/£8800

DFBX2017 #160 - £0/£11,378

£0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) £0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    £820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) £0/£795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
  • bexs.ua
    bexs.ua Posts: 151 Forumite
    Hi everyone! I'm here to declare a spend in the C00p yesterday for £19 and some pence but can't locate the receipt right now.... will look in a bit then update signature :D

I truly hope thats me done for this month, I have a veggie box due on Wednesday but I got them on offer "Fourth box free" so freebie it is this week :D:T have already included the other one that will be charged on 1st April from another company.

That hopefully means that I will be under budget........ and that was with a £60 spend on dog food this month!! I'll update later will full and accurate total to date and amend signature and TRY very hard not to spend any more this month :eek:

We are currently trying to sort out the garden as well and this year we are attempting to grow a lot more veg for ourselves, not to mention tomatoes as my OH can eat 6-8 punnets a week in the summer :eek::eek: at least that should recoup the cost of the greenhouse! :rotfl:

Aprils challenge for me will start on the 1st until the 30th, so just trying to calculate a budget, will let you know later when I declare this months final total :)

I'm so excited to possibly be under target for my very first attempt at this.... will just have to work on reducing the amounts now!! :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • esmer
    esmer Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    Declaring £148.12 for March, out of 160.00 Can I have 30.00 PW for April. Or put me down for120.00 for the month Im moving house and I want to try and get the freezer emptied. So I can get it defrosted. :)
    Saving 2.00 coins
    Grocerys set to 40.00 pw
    Being Thrifty
  • Please can i declare at £192 for March. We have both been off work this week so i am really proud of us not eating out or buying loads of junk food. we did succumb to some junk but i was well aware of the budget!! :T

And please MrsMc can i have £100 for April! i have a freezer full of food so i am really confident i can stay in budget. Just need to pick up a few bits of staples, and then tonight i am having a soup batch session. Still got one lot of biscuits left but will get some more biscuits made too. i have a batch of cheese scones in the freezer so they'll be good for lunches too. :D

i cooked my first lamb shoulder last week and it was delicious!! i had to split the meat because there was so much of it! i froze two batches, and have already used the fresh batch for 3 meals - roast dinner x 3, sandwiches x 3, lamb, leek and potato pie x 3, and lamb curry x 3. the other two batches in the freezer are the same size so i will get approx. 9 meals for 3 people from one shoulder! definately :money:

we also had a new meal this week - cheesy tortellini bake.
    i will post separately...

• Easy Cheesy Tortellini

1 pack of spinach and ricotta tortellini
    1 jar of tomato pasta sauce
    1 ball of mozzarella

- Sprinkle bottom of casserole dish with water
    - Lay tortellini in bottom of casserole dish
    - tear up half of mozzarella into pieces and sprinkle over pasta
    - pour half of jar of sauce over pasta and top with remaining half of mozzarella
    - grill for 10 mins

Now, this is what the recipe said, but after 10 mins the top was cooked and the pasta was still cold so i decanted into bowls and zapped in microwave for 2mins. Result = DELISH!!! Will definately do this one again!!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure