February 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Morning All!:)

Just a few little spends to report from yesterday

A**a - £3.64 Go Cat & Treat Sticks & Ribena

I**land - £3.11 Milk & Lucozade & Cream Crackers

Have a good day y'all!:j

Grocery Challange for DH, Me & 2 Fussy Cats (inc Grocerys, Cleaning Products & Cat Food)
    G/C -May £177.04/£235.00 Apr £237.79/£235.00 Mar £226.16 /£235.00
    G/C - Jan £248.52/£235.00 - Feb£214.72/£235.00
    NSD -May 3/31 Apr 10/30 Mar 3/31 Feb 6/28 NSD Jan 3/31
  • Hi Please can you put me down for £200 this month sorry I'm sooo late. I've nearly reached my budget already, it's getting harder and harder each month
    MAR GC /£346
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your dinner 2017
  • Hurrah
    NSD, about time too!
    £112121.02 10 Years and counting!
    Target in 2011 £22K /£10646.97 DFD Feb 2017
    42Lbs /23 Down 19 to go!:shocked:
    So now I just need to keep going!
    Nearly half way through the year and I'm still here :D
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Our new month started yesterday. Off to do some shopping at T***o today....mainly fresh veg (really into veggies just now and going off meat!), bread, fruit etc.
    Will let you all know how I get on later.
    Hope everyone doing ok.
    x
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• My spends for yesterday were £16.38, need to buy milk today but that should be all for the week as I have my veg box coming tomorrow. For a short month this has really been an expensive one! I am really hoping to stay under my target as it needs to include petrol next month as well (due to car tax being due).
    GC 2023 June £72/500 NSDs 1/10
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 16 February 2011 at 10:26AM
    I've just added two more great recipes to the front page index -

- cutiepieabf's
    Corned Beef Hash recipe :T
    and halight's BBQ sauce recipe from the OS daily thread :T

jackieglasgow - done now, thanks :beer:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • i've added another £1 to my signature, i forgot stock cubes on the weekly shop! New total is £166.14/250 :jI've still got next week's shopping to go on but i think i will definately get it for less than my budget that's left :T

I'm really pleased with myself....this is my first grocery challenge, and up to last month i was spending £120+ every week on groceries :o:o (that's including all the top up shopping) next month is a longer month but i think i may reduce the budget again and see how i do! :) But as it stands this month i have already saved about £200 :eek::eek:!!!
    2024 Mortgage-free wannabe #17
    Overpayment straight to mortgage - March £91.15/ 194.47
    Mortgage OP savings account 900 / 3000 to be paid later this year
    Mortgage balance Jan 1st 2024 £99224.13 Feb 1st £98,833.72 Mar 1st £98,928.18
    Emergency fund £1005.78/ 1500 67%
    Cleaning products & bathroom essentials 2024 £78.38/ 150
    Personal Toiletries 2024 £49.86 / 150
    Food Budget - JAN 484.44/500, FEB 488.59/500, MAR 270.42/500
  • Mothership
    Mothership Posts: 823 Forumite
    edited 17 February 2011 at 7:48AM
    Rice, 1/2 cup per person

Chicken (breast cut into cubes) 2 will serve 3-4
    You can use cooked chicken. Or Leftover roast pork, or prawns.
    TRY IT WITH MUSHROOMS FOR VEGGIE OPTION

Batter
    2 Eggs (whisked until Frothy)
    A little milk
    SR Flour ( add a little at a time)
    1/2 Teaspoon Salt
    1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of Soda
    Mix the above together, we want a really thick batter that will stick to the chicken, the bicarb will start reacting with the flour fairly quickly. Pop the chicken in the batter.

Oil for frying, I find sunflower oil is best, I keep a separate pan for this, I strain the oil and keep it in the fridge, that way you can use it 3-4 times.
    Fry until dark golden brown & drain on kitchen paper, the chicken balls will puff up, i find takeaway sweet and sour really oily , these are not

Sweet & Sour Sauce
    4 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
    4 Tablespoons White wine vinegar (or rice wine vinegar)
    2 Tablespoons soy Sauce
    2 Tomatoes (chopped) Or 2 Tablespoons tomato sauce or mix of both.
    1 Small Carrot ( cut into small strips microwave in a little water for 2 min)
    Red Pepper (cut into small strips, you don't need a lot)
    If you have frozen Sweetcorn or Garden Peas add a tablespoon near end of cooking for a really colourful sauce.

1 small can of pineapples, ( mix juice with 1-2 Teaspoon cornflour) Or fresh pineapple with 3 tablespoons water)

Method
    Add sugar to pan, dissolve, then add all the ingredients in the order listed. Bring to boil stirring continuously for a few minutes, add pineapples + cornflour , Stir continuously until sauce thickens.

You can use Uncle Bens or Homepride ready made Sweet and sour, the homemade version is far superior

ABSOLUTELY YUMMY! This is a Firm family favourite in our house, its really filling and a good thing to make if you get unexpected guests for dinner.
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • hi...went to asd$ and found the syrup in bottles was x2 for £1 so i got a few...it has a good date on it...also got easter eggs for £2 for those like me who have a few to buy

have spent a bit too much but have a lot in which is handy with half term coming up...im makeing mrs m's bagettes at the moment so will report back on wether i make a hash of them

have a great day
    tessa
    onwards and upwards
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Love the sound of the sweet and sour sauce Mothership, will try it with a couple of sliced quorn fillets a I have everything in:)

A poster (sorry can't rermember who)asked me to let them know how the Mr T value feta was - it was not very nice:( Very rubbery/plastic not crumbly like normal feta and quite tasteless. It did not melt either like normal feta which melts a little when added to the hot pasta sauce I make. I won't buy it again.

I start work early to mid march:T:D but it is going to play havoc with our cashflow as I will not have an income for a month and have to pay DS nursery fees up front. On top of that I have had a £300 energy bill:eek: DH suggested we eat out of the cupboards/freezer when he found the start of my June box (must hide it better;)) but what he doesn't realise is we have been using up stuff since Christmas and there isn't a huge lot left:rotfl:

I am sure I will go over this month by about £20 which I am ok with. I have had to give DH cash a few times this month for his lunch as the BM kept creating lumps not loaves. This accounts for about £15 of my spend this month. We don't actually need much this week except some bread, fruit, milk and formula. If I can do one shop on Friday and another top up the following week for bananas and bread and leave my main shop for that week until after the 28th or later I will have cracked it:D

If I could drop my spend to £200 for the whole of March it would really help my cashflow. Would also be a miracle too:D I need to meal plan and sort out what I have got left in the freezer and cupboards and ban takeaways!

I made 2 greek pasta bakes yesterday, 10 meals for DS and today I plan to make 2 qu0rn and leek pies and a big batch of bolognaise sauce as I have tons of qu0rn mince in the freezer. Any ideas for using Qu0rn mince except chilli, shepherds pie and bolognaise?
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills