January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Right then, I'm on Feb budget, I'm in!

£250 and spent so far ... £9.98

Today I bought -
    Sandwich meal deal 3.29
    3 x WW ready meals chilled
    bag of apples
    3 bananas
    a lime!
    2 x can sausage and spaghetti in tom sauce

the only spend I plan tomorrow is
    99p breakfast roll
    3.29 sandwich meal deal
    so £4.28

saturday and sunday will be NSD

Good luck everyone and thatnks for the welcomes :D
    Feb GC £298.72/£250 :o
    Mar GC £ ? / £300

Start SW this wk! :p
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Hippeechiq - thank you

Spiggle - poor OH, must of shaken you up too, hope you are both felling a little better now and that OH is on the mend

Spent £5 today - DH's fault but the less said about that the better!! Just realised that my Jan budget also had to cover 8 days of December too so £250 was too low it should of been about £310, so given the stocking up I've done I'm not doing as badly as I thought, off to amend my siggy but not bothering with the posts at the start of the thread so MrsM doesn't need to change that. Feb target still stays the same though. I have decided not to include drinkies in my budget as I need to reduce the food budget as we are hoarders in the freezer department, will work on DH and drink later on but don't tell him hehe

Helen x

I owe the purse £1 for sugar
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • Well I'm declaring £311 for Jan, a whopping £51 over-budget! Will I never learn?!

Roll on Feb, eh...
    Mortgage£148,725 Student loan£13,050 HSBC loan£12,221
    AprGC:£/£320
  • wannaBrich wrote: »
    Right then, I'm on Feb budget, I'm in!

Today I bought -
    Sandwich meal deal 3.29
    bag of apples
    3 bananas
    a lime!

99p breakfast roll
    3.29 sandwich meal deal
    so £4.28

one humungous (sp?!) saving you could make immediately is to ditch the ready meals, and the sandwich meal deals

have you used the demotivator tool? i did with hubby to show his spend of £1.10 per day on a bottle of pop at work worked out at over £13k in a lifetime. he now has decanted some squash into a bottle to dilute at work. saving a fortune!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/protect/demotivator/

theres the link if u wanna try.
    DFW - Debt Free Date July 2013, LBM Oct 2011

Total Debt Sept 2011 £23,708.39
    Paid so far £2,383.91 :money:
    Current Debt £21,560.56

• wannaBrich wrote: »
    Right then, I'm on Feb budget, I'm in!

Today I bought -
    Sandwich meal deal 3.29
    bag of apples
    3 bananas
    a lime!

99p breakfast roll
    3.29 sandwich meal deal
    so £4.28

thats great, was just wondering if you thought about doing your sandwich meal deal yourself doesnt sound like a lot but added up over the month.....:eek: i used to spend at least £3.50 at work everyday then i found MSE and i make food the night before leftovers in container or sandwiches and my bank balance never looked healthier.....you are def in the right place to start :T
    SPC Member#1096 Target £150 Feb Count £82.18
    Aug Make£5P.DayChal £0/£155
    My August £100 Grocery Challenge £49.90/£100
  • martafdz
    martafdz Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    gdyr1945 wrote: »
    [...] They love going to Frankie and Benny's so could end up there for dinner. .

My local Frankie and Benny's does 20% discount if you ask for the meals to be prepared to take away and mention the special manager discount for it. :j I guess it is something nationwide but it is worth asking if you live close and you can take the food back home. Also, you get to keep the leftovers and the trays are big.

My subtotal for January is £246.79 / £250, I hope it does not change and I finish the month like this. I went to buy extra milk and cordial just in case, so I do not have to go back to the shops. This includes groceries but also household items, cleaning, toiletries, etc.

My target for February is £210, I posted it before though. I started this challenge on the 10th, so I had already bought a massive shop. I am hoping that with the short month and the tips I got I will do better this month.

:T
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • CherryPie
    CherryPie Posts: 429 Forumite
    Declaring for Jan @ £61.70 £16.70 over budget but, still way less than this time last year!

Think I've posted for Feb but in case I haven't £50 for Feb please Mrs M.

This is for just me and includes all grocery type things that come from the supermarket. I can't include petrol as it costs me approx £200 a month and that just makes me mad!!!!:mad:

My Feb starts tomorrow as it's payday. Think I'll put off going to the shops until I really need to. And maybe instead of the Tesco at the end of my road (FAR TOO HANDY!!!) I'll try the Aldi I pass on the way home from work?

Good luck for Feb everyone!!

Cherrypie x
    :beer:
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - £46.73 / £100.00
  • CherryPie wrote: »
    Declaring for Jan @ £61.70 £16.70 over budget but, still way less than this time last year!

Think I've posted for Feb but in case I haven't £50 for Feb please Mrs M.

This is for just me and includes all grocery type things that come from the supermarket. I can't include petrol as it costs me approx £200 a month and that just makes me mad!!!!:mad:

My Feb starts tomorrow as it's payday. Think I'll put off going to the shops until I really need to. And maybe instead of the Tesco at the end of my road (FAR TOO HANDY!!!) I'll try the Aldi I pass on the way home from work?

Good luck for Feb everyone!!

Cherrypie x
    :beer:

im going to try aldi in Feb always been a bit of a food snob but will get fruit etc and see what else they have tin wise as nearly run out of all tins.. bet youre glad its payday!
    DFW - Debt Free Date July 2013, LBM Oct 2011

Total Debt Sept 2011 £23,708.39
    Paid so far £2,383.91 :money:
    Current Debt £21,560.56

• scotsaver wrote: »
    Mothership - sorry if I'm being a bit dim but I have read through all the posts that you've made about the 2nd Purse I think it's a brilliant idea but am I right in thinking that basically if you buy something that's on offer you put what you've saved into the 2nd purse? If that's the case, say I spend £2 and I've saved £2, which I then put in the 2nd purse, do I then put on my GC that I've spent £4?

Just trying to get my head round the idea, as my GC is £250 and I'm usually only slightly under and that's thanks to buying things when they are on offer, otherwise my GC would be a lot higher. For example, this month I've bought cheese, ICBINB, mince, apples etc as they were on offer, the true cost would have put me over my GC. Hope you can see where I'm coming from.;)

No its a bit easier than that, if you get a B1 G1 Free and you have paid £1 for both, you put £1 in the 2nd purse when you start to use the item. And the other £1 when you start to use the other item.

So if you've started off with £10 and bought a selection of offers, say 5 different things 10 items in total. You basically charge yourself full price, and put it in the second purse, when you use it.
    If you get different things every month your stock will increase and so will the money thats in your purse.

So if you've used £5 worth of your stock , you owe the purse £5 add that to your £10 per month and you then have £15 to buy more offers.

The following month if you spend the £10 on more offers and have £5 left, and you use £5 worth of your stock , when you add the £10 you will have £20.

If you buy items from the 2nd Purse like tea, coffee, sugar, soap etc etc. You wont need to buy them from your food budget, as the months go on and your stock increases, the money slowly shifts from one purse to the other.

You wont run out of things and will never have to pay Mr Supermarket full price for anything you are running out of.
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • I'm going to stick to £150 for Feb please Mrs McC. Although no bf to feed at the weekends now, I would still like to be able to buy nice food without thinking I have to skimp on everything.
    PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport