January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Well, tomorrow I am doing something I haven't done before. I am going to go to a couple of different shops to get the offers. I am going to try out the 2 purse method (thanks Mothership). I am determined to make several changes in 2011 and living in a less wasteful and careless manner is top of the list.
    GC 2011 Feb £626.89/£450 NSD3/7 March £531.26/£450 April £495.99/£500 NSD 0/7 May £502.79/£500
    June £511.99/£480 July £311.56/£480
  • Well, as you will see from my signature, I appear to have failed :(

However, always the optimist, this time last year my budget was £100 so I reckon that's technically almost a good thing :rotfl:

Not quite declaring yet, still have until Friday to go.

But might as well try for £50 for Feb GC please

Must use up all the fab whoopsies I have in the freezer!
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - £46.73 / £100.00
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Pernicious wrote: »
    ... Hmm once I'm debt free I shall be putting food processor on the list of things to buy - I like the sound of these building blocks! ...

you don't need a food processor, just chopping the veg up quite small would do, the food processor is needed if you are trying to sneak extra veg into kids without them knowing smiley_signinsertevillaughhere.gif

ebayqueen, as spigs said, Pink winged will start the new thread on the 28th; she'll post on here to let us know its done and she'll make it a 'sticky' at the top of the OS index ;)

martafdz, I always take my veg out of plastic bags, it makes them sweat and they go slimy yuk! :D

mothership, chicken and bacon pasta (one of my favourites!) is in the index, thanks ;)

CherryPie - you've cut your spending by almost half in the last 12 months, that's no mean achievement :T
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Missus_Aka wrote: »
    Have spent £125.36/£180 of my yearly stocking up budget ...

great list! I do the same sort of stocking up, I'm running on an annual budget though; I do love to have lots of tea bags and toilet rolls in :D
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Rosieben thanks you just reminded me that i have 6 months teabags as well
    SPC Member#1096 Target £150 Feb Count £82.18
    Aug Make£5P.DayChal £0/£155
    My August £100 Grocery Challenge £49.90/£100
  • 1lb Lamb (cut up, remove as much fat as possible)
    2 Onions (Cut into 6 chunks each)

2-3 Big Carrots cut on the slant into 1 in chunks
    1/4 to 1/2 Swede (Turnip) thats the big one with the brown skin. cut into 1 in cubes
    Pop the above in a bowl with a little water covered with cling film in the microwave if your going to use the slow cooker for 8 min on high. We want these to partly melt into the gravy.

1 lb of Tomatoes (all fresh) or 1 tin and 1/2 lb of fresh tomatoes (Cut up roughly)
    2-4 Cloves of garlic just bash them no need to chop.

If your cooking it on top of the cooker just throw everything in (NO WATER) bring almost to the boil and turn the heat down to a gentle simmer.
    It should take around an hour, keep an eye on it so it doesn't dry out.

A little salt & a tiny amount of gravy granules at the end of cooking.
    Serve with mashed potatoes and broccoli or garden peas.

Sometimes I just boil the potatoes in a separate pan then add them to the stew for the last 10 min, and throw a handful of garden peas in with it.
    DONT be tempted to add the potatoes with the other ingredients any earlier they go all brown and mushy. You want them nice and white .
    The dish looks better if they are white.

Sprinkle with a little parsley just before serving.

This stew is a great one for a beginner as you can make it with your eyes shut, the smell of it will drive you nuts, as its cooking. It is one of the tastiest stews ever.
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94

• Morning

Just a small spend from yesterday to report

W****s - £4.08 Cat Food

A**a - 60p Bread

Total £4.68

Already updated siggy, Have a g8t day everyone!:D

Grocery Challange for DH, Me & 2 Fussy Cats (inc Grocerys, Cleaning Products & Cat Food)
    G/C -May £177.04/£235.00 Apr £237.79/£235.00 Mar £226.16 /£235.00
    G/C - Jan £248.52/£235.00 - Feb£214.72/£235.00
    NSD -May 3/31 Apr 10/30 Mar 3/31 Feb 6/28 NSD Jan 3/31
  • gdyr1945 wrote: »
    Mothership you are amazing. You have such brilliant ideas and are so organised have you considered running the world? I know you would get trillions of votes! I'm sure we would all be better off. Made my OH come in and ready the marmalade story as it made me laugh so much. What would we do without you?

I love these boards; I always go away feeling happier and more able to 'do things'. Boy do I wish I'd found this site years ago.

I think, as well as the 'thank you' 'quote' etc bits at the bottom of each post we should have a 'sending you lots of hugs and kisses' to all those fantastic board organisers and for when the rest of us feeling a bit low.

My husband ROARED with laughter when I told him what you said. He said no one would take me seriously, and the country would have stockpiles of EVERYTHING! And we would never EVER go short of ANYTHING!
    He said I'm a mixture of Dawn French And Delia Smith.
    I take it he means I'm a funny cook?
    A cook that can stand up? LOL

Well my dear husband you are a mix of Steve Martin and Basil Fawlty.

Great Idea for the hug button. LOVE IT!
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • Morning folks.

So I have decided that I am never shopping on a saturday again...half the food was gone over the weekend and Im having to do a top up shop today. Plus OH wants beer...

This month feels like its slipping through my hands although its only my first week, half of my budget will have gone. Need to really focus and get to Monday as best as possible!!

GOTL x
    Wedding, CC and Loan by May2012 Target - £35 a day
    Starting 21/01/11 Total so far added to savings - £2316.15 (£82 a day) :j
    #1280 sealed pot - £58.57 £11k in 2011 - £981.10/£11,000
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Morning

I am declaring £350.35 for Jan, 35p over but the closest I have ever been:D I have also achieved my NSD target of 15 not-spending-on- anything-at-all days. Will go for the same next month.:)

Sticking to the meal plan but will need to shift things around a bit for the next 2 days as I have run out of cheese and refuse to spend any more until my new month starts on Friday. Made my friend Jacket pots with cheese in return for a free haircut for me and DS and and a good catch up so a very fair deal:D. So Qu0rn fillets topped with salsa, cheese and tortillas swapped with sausage, mash and veg tonight and a rummage in the freezer for Thursday nights tea.

I am really looking forward to next months challenge and my £60 cash purse.:o I have costed up my shopping list based on the meal plan for Friday and it comes to just under £50 at Mr T. This includes BOGOF Cath city and half price Qu0rn pieces. I don't need the quorn pieces until the following Friday but at a saving of £1.50 it would be rude not to as the offer ends before then.

I have asked DH to get me a couple of cardboard boxes fom work so I can start my June and Holiday boxes off. Mr T have a good reduction on my favourite beans so have costed in buying some extra to go in these 'stores'. I will need to find a good place to hide them as I hid half an 18 pack of crisps I go half price last week and he found them and needless to say scoffed the lot!:mad:

:question:Can anyone advise me if it is Lidl that do the cheap bread flour? Do they stock this all the time or is it just on offer now and again?:question:

I seem to remember it getting positive comments on here in previous months but I may be getting mixed up. Mr T have H0vis white at 2 for £2.00 ut I need w/meal too:)

I will have to make a white loaf today as we have run out of wholemeal flour :eek:
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills