Frugal Living 2011 - the preparation stage

Comments

• Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 28 December 2010 at 8:18PM
    Hello:j
    I haven't been anywhere near the shops yet but have booked holidays to take advantage of the 2010 prices. Will do a stock up of the basics tomorrow at Sainsburys to replenish after Christmas
    I've started decluttering again- some has been put aside for a jumble sale next month and some has gone via freecycle. I've also discovered some projects to keep me busy and away from my purse:D I've done all my mending jobs, taken the buttons off some clothes that are not good enough to pass on and made hankies out of the back of a white cotton pillow case that had a huge rent in the front.
    We're still finishing off the Christmas leftovers- tonight the leftover pork was blitzed up with some stuffing mix to make burgers and served up with the remaining unused veg and the apple sauce on the side. Tomorrow I shall use the 4 remaining wrinkly parsnips with the carrots to make another vat of soup. Absolutely nowt wasted:beer:
    Arilx
    PS For those of you wondering I believe [please correct me if I'm wrong Cheryl] that the challenge operates on a fairly flexible basis. I will once again track my spending which makes me much more mindful of what I spend and also more willing to look at different options. I work to a rough budget as I am fortunate to have some leeway but if my job goes then I will definitely devise a set one.
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • xnatalie81x mine never worked either, but cash was paid to him(I'm a carer and awiting payment still). Apparently he was destined for greater things, due to change the world, working did not fufill him spiritually. Serious Jesus complex.

Sorry for going on and on and on!!!

lol - sounds similar but my ex wanted to work for himself, hated being told what to do blah blah but tried his own business and ended up owing his mum over 20k plus he has his inheriatance on top of that when she sold her flat :( what i would have done with 30k............. as you can imagine, when i started my own business in Jan and it was successful immediately - he got very jealous.

Veg growing is fun. What you get depends on the space you have, time etc etc. Some things are always easier from plug (for me peppers! I am rubbish at peppers from seed lol) but tomatoes are easy peasy. I grow loads of them as we use loads. I freeze them whole and uncooked and then make chopped tomatoes when needed. I have a chest freezer, a normal freezer and a small freezer attached to my fridge :) - it is filled with reduced price rolls/crumpets/ciabatta/mince and Home grown veg (much more 2011 tho!)

I like value pasta. I do cook it for ages but i am going to look at the huge packs from makro. Also you can buy 10kg bags rice near me in tesco.......... will be looking into that too. I do need more cooking stuff as the dipshit wont give most of our stuff back STILL! I bought a silver metal tray thing from makro (catering one) - a baking dish type thing and it is BRILLIANT! easy to clean and serve from. Want to buy more :)

Grabbit board has a thing for zooplus £6.00 off and free delivery - pet stuff. Just ordered 2kg bag JW food for pup - 99p :) (usually 7.50 bag_ add that to medicanimal saving last mth (saved 75p on second bag) and i have enough dog food till march - total cost for 3mths food 15.24 :) delivered :) you can also get toys n treats n stuff so may be a good gift for a pet lover.........
    DFW since JAN 2009 - 2014 will be the year i finally clear debts :) Just to see which month :))))

One adult + 4 children + dog
  • LilacPixie
    LilacPixie Posts: 8,052 Forumite
    I really needd to join this and keep with it for all of 2011. i'm ue baby number 3 in the next 7 ish weeks. No idea on budget but as our HH income will drop about £1200 PM when i'm on mat leave it will need to be mega frugal.

Oh and we have bought a bigger house so no idea on the running costs yet.
    MF aim 10th December 2020 :j:eek:
    MFW 2012 no86 OP 0/2000 :D
  • Blairweech
    Blairweech Posts: 1,379
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    There is a thread on HUKD saying that redcurrant/blackcurrant bushes/spring bulbs/onion and asparagus sets are currently 10p in Focus...not sure if it is store specific though, have not been down to my local focus to check
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
  • pollsdolls
    pollsdolls Posts: 2,960 Forumite
    What a great idea OP. Well done :T :T
    ~ What goes around comes around ~
  • patentgirl
    patentgirl Posts: 1,028
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I havent had yet chance to work out my budget as had family staying since xmas eve, popped on quickly now to see how everyone going will pop back soon with total only thing i seem to be struggling with is food total I spend normally about £75 pw which would be £3,900 before i start adding anything else you all seem to spend alot less than that over the year any tips please before I finalise total my main problem is work full time no shops near work I seem to miss all whoospie bargains I do cook from scratch no processed if I can help it
    Blairweech thanks for link about focus need to stock up for our allotment
    Frugal challenge 2024

• I have a chest freezer, a normal freezer and a small freezer attached to my fridge :) - it is filled with reduced price rolls/crumpets/ciabatta/mince and Home grown veg (much more 2011 tho!)

I like value pasta. I do cook it for ages but i am going to look at the huge packs from makro.

I bought a silver metal tray thing from makro (catering one) - a baking dish type thing and it is BRILLIANT! easy to clean and serve from. Want to buy more :)

Grabbit board has a thing for zooplus £6.00 off

Thanks for the reply-loads of info!

I have a half size freezer attached to the fridge here, I seriously need to look at a chest freezer for co-op whoopsies and batch cooking. I only fill with meat currently. Although the damn thing would need to go in my bedroom :rotfl:

I still have half a bag, I'll try again later. I did find it really filling in a pasta bake though, that filling I fell asleep on the sofa at 9pm :o

I could kick myself, I have just bought new cheapy trays. You mean the aluminium ones yes? If so they are great, can scourer them with a silver scourer and never need replacing!

Ordering cheapy cat bed, if my LL says yes(asking him once been here a year/finances settled) great-if not I have a cat mad mate, totally cat mad!

Right, going to stop dithering and get my T&M order done pronto!

Thanks again :)
  • the_cat
    the_cat Posts: 2,176
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well now Christmas is properly over, I can't wait for the last few days of this year to be over so that we can start on the challenge. I have resisted the sales, except for a couple of saucepans and baking trays which will be needed to replace the tatty,scratched grot which is losing it's non-stick stuff. I figure that can't be all that good for you so a purchase was essential:rotfl:

For anyone who has some freezer space, a scout for whoopsies would be a definate help in the next few evenings. I know that it is well known that Christmas Eve is good for bargains, but TBH I always find much,much more and much cheaper in the few days after Christmas. The meats etc are normally dated for a few days after Christmas so that is when the majority come to the end of their dates

I have been for the last 2 nights and have gained an EMBARRASING amount of stuff. Enough fruit/veg to last 10 days at least (all at 9p)
    Packs of duck,chicken,lamb,mince,fish etc etc all at between 9p and 80p(for joints :eek:)

I'm going to have to restack the freezers today to wedge it all in. Perhaps take some out of its packaging and freezer bag it..... you get the picture:o

Anyway waffled enough for now
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,613
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 14 January 2011 at 11:38AM
    SPREADSHEET(s) AVAILABLE - I hope

I've just tweaked both versions of the spreadsheet for use in 2011
    I've also updated the Instructions page on them in case anyone wants to add in more regular payment details (in the hope this will enable you to do this yourself - but if the instructions aren't clear enough please let me know and I'll see if I can 'talk' you through it any better, with a view to updating those instructions at a later date)

The version for Excel 2007 is complete and can be used immediately
    You can download this version here

But when I save in 'backwards compatible' mode (to get the 97-2003 version, which I believe can also be used by those using Open Office) the file size explodes - and exceeds the maximum G00gle Docs will allow me to upload as a single file. As such I've had to delete all the forumlas from 11 of the 12 'Grocery' pages, but have added special notes into the Instructions page of this version to tell you how (and when) to put them back - it's a pretty simple case of 'copy and paste', just takes a little bit of time.
    This version can be found here

Any problems accessing or downloading these (or running on your spreadsheet package - especially if you're on Open Office) please let me know, and I'll see if I can get a download up and running for you :)

If anyone has problems with it constantly telling you it's "read only" (even after you've done a 'save as'), please see the helpful hint from itsallinthemind here :)
    Cheryl
  • LilacPixie
    LilacPixie Posts: 8,052 Forumite
    the 2010 spreadsheet was great... i have mines at the ready to compare and work out a 2011 rough budget.
    MF aim 10th December 2020 :j:eek:
    MFW 2012 no86 OP 0/2000 :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family