Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • psdie
    • By psdie 16th Dec 10, 1:09 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    psdie
    • 16th Dec 10, 1:09 PM
    Great work Martin
    • 16th Dec 10, 1:09 PM
    Sounds like you and your Dad have achieved something great with this Martin - congratulations and sorry to hear that others have misunderstood the situation. Ironically, it often seems to be the poorest in society that are the least financially aware and budget saavy, so the more hands on education (financial reviews, monthly budgeting, web comparison sites, money forums, etc) can be made available, the better.

Love the focus on minimising admin expenses. I refuse to donate to the larger charities because they get this so wrong - as a web designer, I've been asked to work on projects for large charities before and I've been appalled at the amount they spend on marketing, websites, etc - their budgets have been bigger than most *commercial* clients!

From my experiences, I'm convinced that many of the larger charities exist as job creation schemes, preying on people's guilt at highly emotive issues, and large amounts of the cash is diverted away from the intended recipients. I've also heard scare stories of large fees being paid to companies that are associated with charity staff members. And finally I regularly see charity "reps" pressuring people in the street/on their doorsteps into monthly Direct Debits that they can't afford.

All this just emphasises how utterly important transparency and integrity is for charities in order to secure public trust. There are great parallels with the increased expectancy of transparency within government - charities should be looking at publishing *detailed* listings of all expenditure above ~£5k. Until that happens, personally I'm steering clear of high street DD pushers.

Cheers, Ben
  • jamesd
    • 16th Dec 10, 8:22 PM
    • 16th Dec 10, 8:22 PM
    Good move to arrange to pay your father independently of the donations!
    • rubytuesday
    • By rubytuesday 17th Dec 10, 7:52 PM
    • 21,534 Posts
    • 71,147 Thanks
    rubytuesday
    • 17th Dec 10, 7:52 PM
    • 17th Dec 10, 7:52 PM
    Well done! I wasn't even aware of this until I read it today!
    Here dead we lie because we did not choose
    To live and shame the land from which we sprung.
    Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose,
    But young men think it is,
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
    • InaPickle
    • By InaPickle 21st Dec 10, 10:30 PM
    • 5,897 Posts
    • 32,791 Thanks
    InaPickle
    • 21st Dec 10, 10:30 PM
    • 21st Dec 10, 10:30 PM
    Well done for making a difference to a lot of people, Martin!
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• vivatifosi
    • By vivatifosi 21st Dec 10, 10:56 PM
    • 17,243 Posts
    • 108,092 Thanks
    vivatifosi
    • 21st Dec 10, 10:56 PM
    • 21st Dec 10, 10:56 PM
    Congratulations Martin. The charity that you founded is a vital and much needed building block to improving financial literacy in this country. It is hard to establish a good trustee board and to feel confident that you can take a step back, you should be justifiably proud for achieiving this.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
    • gilligansyle
    • By gilligansyle 28th Dec 10, 5:33 PM
    • 4,104 Posts
    • 22,131 Thanks
    gilligansyle
    • 28th Dec 10, 5:33 PM
    • 28th Dec 10, 5:33 PM
    Well done on leaving it in such a good position, but its sad that you felt you had to justify how the salaries are paid. Transparency is such a good thing when it comes to charities, and which some, sadly fail to deliver on.
    Debts at LBM - Mortgages £128497 - non mortgage £27497 Debt now £114150109032 85407 (mortgage) Credit cards left 0

"The days pass so fast, let's try to make each one better than the last"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,887Posts Today

6,656Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin