Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • savirr
    • 17th Aug 10, 11:23 AM
    • 17th Aug 10, 11:23 AM
    World-wide words is where to go for this sort of "where does that word come from" question. I can't post the link because I'm a new user but googling
    world wide words spendthrift
    should do the trick.
  • aliasojo
    • 17th Aug 10, 11:27 AM
    • 17th Aug 10, 11:27 AM
    I'm really surprised at this. I knew what it meant, and thought most people would have too.

My parents used to use the word during conversations (probably whilst trying to instill a sense of financial responsibility into me, they were never ones for debt).
    Herman - MP for all!
    • teabelly
    • By teabelly 17th Aug 10, 11:29 AM
    • 1,208 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    teabelly
    • 17th Aug 10, 11:29 AM
    • 17th Aug 10, 11:29 AM
    I thought I did. I was wrong!
    • serious_saver
    • By serious_saver 17th Aug 10, 11:32 AM
    • 828 Posts
    • 1,281 Thanks
    serious_saver
    • 17th Aug 10, 11:32 AM
    • 17th Aug 10, 11:32 AM
    I thought I did. I was wrong!
    Originally posted by teabelly
    Same here! I'm usually pretty good with the meanings of words too. It goes to prove the old adage "you learn something new everyday"
  • IcklePickle
    • 17th Aug 10, 11:46 AM
    • 17th Aug 10, 11:46 AM
    I do like 'spend-a-holic'. It has a wider scope than 'shop-a-holic'. Lots of people are addicted to spending money, on days out / cinema / drinks / lunches / coffees but don't do much actual shopping. So they may not realise they have an addiction, as this type of spending seems normal nowadays.
    DFW Official Nerd Club #1114
    'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'
  • GreenGreenGrass-of-home
    • 17th Aug 10, 11:57 AM
    • 17th Aug 10, 11:57 AM
    I'm not sure that Martin is right in saying that 'most don't'. If you look at his FB thread, most people did know the correct definition.
  • Errata
    • 17th Aug 10, 11:59 AM
    • 17th Aug 10, 11:59 AM
    As the word spendthrift has apparently been knocking around since at least 1693 http://www.rijksmuseum.nl/aria/aria_assets/SK-A-4209?lang=en
    I'm afraid the only conclusion that can be drawn from ML's limited survey is that people are becoming thicker.
    .....................I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...
  • sheelagh
    • 17th Aug 10, 12:06 PM
    • 17th Aug 10, 12:06 PM
    my dictionary gives the origin of the word as someone who spends extravagantly an inheritance ...therefore spending the thrift of others
  • Zebedee1
    Do you know what spendthrift means
    From what I can find out the word spendthrift comes from a reference to someone who spent savings etc that someone else was thrifty enough to save.
    • kezbabybabe
    • By kezbabybabe 17th Aug 10, 12:18 PM
    • 696 Posts
    • 3,265 Thanks
    kezbabybabe
    I got it totally wrong. I think Martin's right with the use of Thrift (particularly with our own thrifty boards) it's easy for use to swap it's meaning over...
    SPC Member No. 020 - 2016 total = £43.87
    Cross-stitch Cafe Member no. 19 - Lost Gardens of Heligan Sampler
    Books to read in 2016: 49 (Goodreads challenge 2016: 40/52)
    I think you're probably right, Zebedee. It's odd that neither my hard-copy OED nor OED online gives any etymological background on the word.

The Online Etymology Dictionary gives this:

c.1600, from spend + thrift in sense of "savings, profits, wealth." Replaced earlier scattergood (1570s) and spend-all (1550s).
    • geri1965
    • By geri1965 17th Aug 10, 12:26 PM
    • 8,368 Posts
    • 14,004 Thanks
    geri1965
    I knew what it meant. Probably due to my dad accusing my mum of being one, constantly! (which she is, but she married a miser - no wonder they got divorced!)
    • tylerdurden
    • By tylerdurden 17th Aug 10, 12:39 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    tylerdurden
    Meaning
    I always thought that the meaning cam from spending thrift, the opposite of thrifty.

Maybe Martin should as hotforwords (I cant post the link) she does some entertaining etymological videos on youtube.
    • lilian1977
    • By lilian1977 17th Aug 10, 12:43 PM
    • 4,661 Posts
    • 18,361 Thanks
    lilian1977
    I knew this and was then very surprised when I asked around and hardly anyone else did! The old definition of it does make sense though!

1 debt 100 days #6 - £436.30/ £436.30 PAID. 2nd debt - £189.15/£500.00
    My debt free diary
    • DJ Mike
    • By DJ Mike 17th Aug 10, 1:15 PM
    • 235 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    DJ Mike
    The word 'thrift' has an archaic/obsolete meaning of "prosperity", i.e. something that flourishes. So from that you can take spendthrift to mean someone who flourishes in spending, be it for good or bad. You could, of course, be a spendthrift in a way that actually nets you a lot of money, I think it just came to mean someone who wasn't very good with money. But probably too archaic of a word to be used much anymore. I think "spend-a-holic" or "shop-a-holic" has become more commonplace.
    • eleanora_
    • By eleanora_ 17th Aug 10, 1:43 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    eleanora_
    Am I the only one who's disappointed by the sheer numbers of people who don't know what this word means? Surely it's not that obscure!
    Married my lovely man on 29th June 2013
    • Sceptic001
    • By Sceptic001 17th Aug 10, 2:47 PM
    • 1,093 Posts
    • 840 Thanks
    Sceptic001
    Spendthrift is an antonym - a word that means the opposite.
    Originally posted by jay-1
    The opposite of what? :confused:
    Why is there no smilie for confused? :confused further:
    • jay-1
    • By jay-1 17th Aug 10, 2:53 PM
    • 470 Posts
    • 282 Thanks
    jay-1
    Sorry ignore me -not having a good day!
    The word 'thrift' has an archaic/obsolete meaning of "prosperity", i.e. something that flourishes. So from that you can take spendthrift to mean someone who flourishes in spending, be it for good or bad.
    Originally posted by DJ Mike
    I'm not sure Mike is right is saying that a spendthrift 'flourishes in spending'.

OED describes the origin of 'thrift' as:

prosperity, acquired wealth or success

So I'd guess that 'spendthrift' means (or meant) spending either your own savings, or savings/wealth that you've acquired.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,794Posts Today

9,224Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @itvMLshow: We are filming tomorrow in Torremolinos! If you're in the area, head to Branigans on Av. Palma de Mallorca between 5pm-6.45p?

• RT @mmhpi: ??The money and mental health manifesto - 10 steps to boost #mentalhealth & financial #wellbeing for Britain #GE2017 https://t.c?

• In Spain in a restaurant ready for filming in Torremolinos tomorrow (do come and see us if you're there) watching #mcfcmufc #CTID

• Follow Martin