Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mum22
    • By Mum22 18th Jun 10, 12:25 PM
    • 57Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Mum22
    Do I need car insurance if car off road??
    • 18th Jun 10, 12:25 PM
    Do I need car insurance if car off road?? 18th Jun 10 at 12:25 PM
    Hi
    My query is do we need to have car insurance if the car is going to be kept in a garage and not used?

My husband is going away for 6mths so the car will be left in the garage with tyres taken off! Allthough it still has full MOT we have declared it SORN and the insurance is due to run out next month.

We live on an Army base, so theft should be ruled out! So it would only be fire that could damage it??

What do we do?
    Many thanks
Page 1
    • stator
    • By stator 18th Jun 10, 12:39 PM
    • 4,798 Posts
    • 3,026 Thanks
    stator
    • 18th Jun 10, 12:39 PM
    • 18th Jun 10, 12:39 PM
    Legally no, you don't need insurance. But keeping a car off the road for 6 months isn't ideal for the car itself!
    • Mum22
    • By Mum22 18th Jun 10, 4:04 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Mum22
    • 18th Jun 10, 4:04 PM
    • 18th Jun 10, 4:04 PM
    Is it best to take the car of the wheels and put up on ramps, and turn over every few weeks??What should we do with it??
  • Sandoval
    • 18th Jun 10, 4:06 PM
    • 18th Jun 10, 4:06 PM
    Is it best to take the car of the wheels and put up on ramps, and turn over every few weeks??What should we do with it??
    Originally posted by Mum22
    Got visions of someone tipping a car upside down every couple of weeks like something in a microwave...
    • stator
    • By stator 18th Jun 10, 4:37 PM
    • 4,798 Posts
    • 3,026 Thanks
    stator
    • 18th Jun 10, 4:37 PM
    • 18th Jun 10, 4:37 PM
    Originally posted by Mum22
    That sounds like a plan. Make sure it is cleaned all over as best you can before it is put up, use WD45 on all the moving parts to protect them as best you can. Keep the garage dry and dehumidify it if you can. I'm no expert though, you might find some more tips on the web.
  • wwizard
    • 19th Jun 10, 12:47 PM
    • 19th Jun 10, 12:47 PM
    best to take out third party fire and theft. if you can prove the insurance that it's going to be locked and secure it might bring the
    price down of the premiums (unlikely unless it's an expensive car) or add it to house insurance.

insurance would cover theft/fire if the veh is SORN as long as you won't using it on the road.
    • slinga
    • By slinga 20th Jun 10, 11:44 AM
    • 895 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    slinga
    • 20th Jun 10, 11:44 AM
    • 20th Jun 10, 11:44 AM
    I spend 6 months here and 6 months there.
    In both places my cars are left out in the weather on their wheels, insured in both places but not road taxed in UK.

Never had a problem with the cars.
    I do disconect the battery but when re connected both cars have always started first turnover.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
    • missile
    • By missile 20th Jun 10, 11:57 AM
    • 8,082 Posts
    • 3,844 Thanks
    missile
    • 20th Jun 10, 11:57 AM
    • 20th Jun 10, 11:57 AM
    It is not good for any engine to run for short periods and I would avoid turning it over every two weeks. You might want to disconnect or invest in a trickle charger to maintain the battery in good condition. You might want to change the oil and filter before you garage the car. Jacking it up is good practice, but I would not bother. Make sure you give it a good clean inside and out.

In your situation I would take a (slim) chance and save money on the insurance.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
  • pixie76
    • 20th Jun 10, 12:19 PM
    • 20th Jun 10, 12:19 PM
    If it's in a garage for that time you do not need to insure however you should start it and let the engine run on a regular basis.
    ٩(•̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
    • Valli
    • By Valli 20th Jun 10, 12:20 PM
    • 19,269 Posts
    • 220,494 Thanks
    Valli
    reading this thread makes me wonder why some enterprising insurance company doesn't have a SORN insurance policy to offer...in other words if the car is declared SORN then just a 'theft and damage' policy?

and it was MY idea and I claim ownership of it!
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!

Roadkill Rebel #16 2015 Roadkill Haul - £23.25 + 7c (Eu) + a dime (31.12.2015)
    2016 Roadkill Haul - £05.75, 10c ($) and 10c (Eu)
    • Keith
    • By Keith 20th Jun 10, 12:54 PM
    • 2,800 Posts
    • 1,796 Thanks
    Keith
    If it's in a garage for that time you do not need to insure however you should start it and let the engine run on a regular basis.
    Originally posted by pixie76
    No you shouldn't. That's the worst thing you can do.
  • Hannah_10
    No, you do not need insurance if the car is off the road and SORN'd, but if you're still in doubt see the Unit Welfare Officer because this question does come up regularly as it's not uncommon for a soldier to get a 6 or 12 month posting but retain the quarter.
    • Searcher2
    • By Searcher2 25th Jun 10, 3:16 PM
    • 1,091 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    Searcher2
    reading this thread makes me wonder why some enterprising insurance company doesn't have a SORN insurance policy to offer...in other words if the car is declared SORN then just a 'theft and damage' policy?

and it was MY idea and I claim ownership of it!
    Originally posted by Valli
    It's exactly what I am looking for. Some kind chap tackled me at football last week and I won't be able to drive for between 2-4 months. I am thinking about putting my car in my mum's garage until i can drive again. I am going to send the tax off for refund (SORN it) at the end of this month after it's been serviced and MOTed. My insurance runs out at the end of this month anyway. I was thinking about taking out monthly fire and theft insurance but it doesn't seem that easy to find... so I am thinking about just risking it without. Presumably it won't affect my new quote when I come to drive again in a couple of months with regards to protected no claims?
    • withabix
    • By withabix 25th Jun 10, 3:20 PM
    • 8,960 Posts
    • 7,908 Thanks
    withabix
    or invest in a trickle charger to maintain the battery in good condition.
    Originally posted by missile
    You might need the insurance then for when the build-up of hydrogen in the garage explodes.....
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • Shropshire Lad
    You dont need legally need insurance if it's parked in your garage and I shouldn't worry about it going on fire. If you just disconnect the battery that will disengage all the electrics on the car but also the radio so make sure you have the code to hand.
    You can I'm sure (they do for haulage insurance) get a laid up policy which is designed for this so try your local independant broker and see what they say eh as it wont cost you nowt for a quote.
    It's not a bad idea to reconnect the battery and start it every month or so and I shouldnt worry about taking the tyres off,they will be fine.
    If you park it with the handbrake off and chock the wheels to stop it rolling then that will stop the handbrake from sticking to the drums which is usually the worst that happens and I really wouldnt worry about spraying around with wd40 and the like and change the oil when you first put it back on the road and you'll be fine girl.
    I have a mondeo at home which is laid up for months and months at a time and it starts fine with a charged battery.
    Just so you can make your own mind up on my advice I'm not a mechanic but have been involved with lorries and worked on them since I was a nipper so no qualifications but hands on experience if you like.

God bless the forces and their families.
    Last edited by Shropshire Lad; 26-06-2010 at 1:01 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

470Posts Today

4,412Users online

Martin's Twitter