Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • vanoonoo
    • 4th Mar 05, 5:05 PM
    • 4th Mar 05, 5:05 PM
    its because you are being forced to buy food grade bicarbonate of soda - if its for "other stuff" try industrial grade from somewhere like http://www.justasoap.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=91 (i've not used them so cant recommend)

another similar place

http://www.soapkitchenonline.co.uk/
    Last edited by vanoonoo; 19-03-2005 at 12:32 AM.
    Blah
    • Judi
    • By Judi 4th Mar 05, 5:24 PM
    • 13,178 Posts
    • 52,007 Thanks
    Judi
    • 4th Mar 05, 5:24 PM
    • 4th Mar 05, 5:24 PM
    Thanks Noo xxx
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
  • vanoonoo
    • 4th Mar 05, 5:27 PM
    • 4th Mar 05, 5:27 PM
    you're welcome - like I say I've not used them and crafty ol'stylers may have other sources so would be interested to find out where people get theirs from.

I used to work in a pharmacy and part of me is convinced we used to sell it in there but I cant be 100% sure.
    Blah
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 4th Mar 05, 5:58 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    • 4th Mar 05, 5:58 PM
    • 4th Mar 05, 5:58 PM
    Boots sell it in 500 g boxes - got some last week but just checked the receipt versus the Tesco price and it's cheaper at Tesco's!
    Boots £1.49 500gm
    Tesco 44p - 200gm

Not such a money saving purchase for me then!
  • mossstar
    • 4th Mar 05, 7:18 PM
    • 4th Mar 05, 7:18 PM
    weigh & save do it! that's where i get mine for cleaning...
  • Peter-Pan
    • 23rd Jul 05, 7:14 PM
    Bicarbonate of soda
    • 23rd Jul 05, 7:14 PM
    Where can I buy this in bulk,with all the tips in here we need oodles of it.
    A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    El sabio muda el consejo, el necio no.
    • larmy16
    • By larmy16 23rd Jul 05, 7:44 PM
    • 4,217 Posts
    • 8,039 Thanks
    larmy16
    • 23rd Jul 05, 7:44 PM
    bicarb
    • 23rd Jul 05, 7:44 PM
    It seems we in the UK are only given the choice to buy bs in small tubs 200g or slightly larger boxes in chemists and Boots. I have yet to find larger amounts though maybe a baking suppliers would be able to help? The thing is if you do buy over the internet, there is then the cost of postage.

In the States, they can buy huge bags (I think 50lbs in weight) at animal feed stores - not baking quality, but for washing, cleaning etc, it is perfectly ok. I was told they use it for washing the cows udders or something like that - I am not sure :confused: - anyways I rang an animal bulk suppliers and she sounded most surprised at my request!!!

If you do find anything let us know. There is a place someone suggested Dri-pak ltd on the web who sell borax etc and they have bicarb, but at 1.71 for a box 350g I thought it worked out more expensive. Sorry I dont know the web address but sure you can find it. You can download an order form.
    Last edited by larmy16; 23-07-2005 at 7:47 PM.
  • domestic goddess wanabee
    • 24th Jul 05, 4:04 AM
    • 24th Jul 05, 4:04 AM
    Dont suppose you have any chinese supermarkets up there? Bought a 5kg tub here for about £2.00 at a place called Wing Yip.
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 24th Jul 05, 12:45 PM
    • 8,203 Posts
    • 14,120 Thanks
    calleyw

If you do find anything let us know. There is a place someone suggested Dri-pak ltd on the web who sell borax etc and they have bicarb, but at 1.71 for a box 350g I thought it worked out more expensive. Sorry I dont know the web address but sure you can find it. You can download an order form.
    by larmy16
    The dri-pak ltd bicarb and borax are sold in wilkinsons for about £0.89p for a 350g packet.

Yours

Calley
    • larmy16
    • By larmy16 24th Jul 05, 3:25 PM
    • 4,217 Posts
    • 8,039 Thanks
    larmy16
    The dri-pak ltd bicarb and borax are sold in wilkinsons for about £0.89p for a 350g packet.

Yours

Calley
    by calleyw
    Thanks Calley, unfortunately my Wilkinsons dont do Borax, I have already tried. I would have to travel some way to get there, so I'll just make do with the bs from Morrisons!
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 24th Jul 05, 6:31 PM
    • 8,203 Posts
    • 14,120 Thanks
    calleyw
    Thanks Calley, unfortunately my Wilkinsons dont do Borax, I have already tried. I would have to travel some way to get there, so I'll just make do with the bs from Morrisons!
    by larmy16

I wonder if they would get in for you if you asked.

It annoys me when national chains do not keep the same things in stock.

I think some boots stock it but it is not cheap and I am not sure of the size of the box.

Yours

Calley
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 24th Jul 05, 7:58 PM
    • 3,615 Posts
    • 5,452 Thanks
    culpepper
    the last lot of borax I bought came from boots.It was in their water softening section.
    Our Wilko(maidstone) does borax and bicarb
    • larmy16
    • By larmy16 24th Jul 05, 8:38 PM
    • 4,217 Posts
    • 8,039 Thanks
    larmy16
    I wonder if they would get in for you if you asked.

It annoys me when national chains do not keep the same things in stock.

I think some boots stock it but it is not cheap and I am not sure of the size of the box.

Yours

Calley
    by calleyw
    Hi again Calley

Our Boots dont do Borax either. I have hunted high and low for it, chemists, pharmacies, old style ironmongers and none of them have it. A couple of the chemists told me they no longer stock it , or that rubbing alcohol as it is on a list of toxic substances (or some such explanation), so the only way I could get it is mail order. Still I have lived without it so far!!
  • Samsdad
    The main (and only ?) supplier of Bicarbonate of Soda in this country is Brunner Mond Ltd, based in Northwich Cheshire but I don't think they sell direct to the public. I used to work there a number of years ago and they had Bicarb in piles everywhere, tons of the stuff !

http://www.brunnermond.com/products/bicarb/bicarb.htm

My be they would sell it to the public if they had enough enquiries !
    • larmy16
    • By larmy16 27th Jul 05, 10:12 PM
    • 4,217 Posts
    • 8,039 Thanks
    larmy16
    OK I found a box of bicarb in Boots which was £1.49 per 500grams. This makes each gram cost 0.298. The small tubs sold in Morrisons cost 55p each which makes each gram cost 0.275 per gram. So for me, it makes more sense to buy the small baking tubs.
  • Adrienne
    I think you can get larger quantities of bicarb from soap making sites as it is a vital ingredient in home-made bath bombs.

Check out the following:

http://www.meltandpoursupplies.com/
    http://www.soapbasics.co.uk/
    http://www.soapkitchenonline.co.uk/
    http://www.cosmetic-ingredients.com/shopcart/cart.php

Hope this helps

Adrienne
  • Trow
    Maybe the people going to the meet should organise a purchase of the 25kg for £16 - bag it in 1kg bags and there you have 1kg for less than 70p...

Just a thought.....

Just looked at it again and once they add delivery and VAT it works out at just over £1 per kg...
    Last edited by Trow; 28-07-2005 at 9:14 AM.
  • Peter-Pan
    Adrienne

I found a site,but cant remember the name now you can buy 5kgs but they wanted £22.50 delivery,I nearly fainted,your list is very helpful,£6 delivery+ £4.50 for 5kgs
    Last edited by Peter-Pan; 28-07-2005 at 3:46 PM.
    A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    El sabio muda el consejo, el necio no.
  • Badgergal
    My soapmaking friend gets hers from an Asian supermarket in Tooting, 3 kilos at a time for a very good price (can't remember exact amounts) so if you live near an Asian supermarket...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,469Posts Today

6,219Users online

Martin's Twitter