June 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• shell2001
    shell2001 Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    Keep flitting in and out of this but I must try to do better. My budget is £425 for Me, DH & 2 DD's (7 and 6) and our little woof. This is for all food, toiletries, dog stuff, prescriptions. We were away on holiday for the first week so used £100 of the budget there. Just had a tesco shop delivered today and that is 112.85 but did meal plan and have enough for this week and most of next with just a top up of veggies needed at the weekend. My month runs from 25th till 25th so hopeful I should come in on target this month.
  • Not too bad at all today. Went out for lunch with my friend and it was my turn to pay so it cost £8.94 which I've adjusted my sig. for. Other than that I haven't bought anything. The meal plan was put up on the notice board in the kitchen and brought some moans from DD's - neither of them would try liver tonight so did them meat free burgers from the freezer, however when I had cooked the liver and onions DD2 decided that it looked lovely so she had some! I bought a 300g packet and it was absolutely LOADS - I didn't want to throw away any leftovers but don't know what I will do with the 4 pieces left.... I was so full after mine that I couldn't even have a drink and I fell asleep in the middle of Emmerdale:o
    I need to go shopping tomorrow but have made a list and am hoping to stick to it. Poppy - your salad sounds lovely - I love fruit in salad! I make a rice salad which is easy and very yummy:

125g brown rice, cooked as per instructions on pack, cooled
    1 apple, chopped
    3 large spring onions,chopped
    2 tbs sultanas
    1tbs mango chutney
    1 tbs curry powder (or less but I like it spicy)
    2 tbs salad cream
    2 tbs low fat mayo
    good squeeze of lemon juice
    chopped corriander (optional)
    salt and pepper

I just mix up the mango chutney, lemon juice, salad cream and mayo and mix it with all the other ingredients. I sometimes put leftover chopped chicken in it (if it's a main meal)and sometimes I put toasted almonds or cashews in. The above amount serves 3 as a main meal and 6 as a side with other salad and poppadums.

Put some inkjet cartridges up on ebay and my unused George foreman oven thingie on Amazon to try and raise some funds!

Off to watch Glee now.....
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    ... I make a rice salad which is easy and very yummy ...

that sounds good! recipe now in the front page list :T
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Herbaholic
    Herbaholic Posts: 304
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    125g brown rice, cooked as per instructions on pack, cooled
    1 apple, chopped
    3 large spring onions,chopped
    2 tbs sultanas
    1tbs mango chutney
    1 tbs curry powder (or less but I like it spicy)
    2 tbs salad cream
    2 tbs low fat mayo
    good squeeze of lemon juice
    chopped corriander (optional)
    salt and pepper

Thanks for this Recovering :) Shall give this a try next week with some chicken and salad.

Herby x
    NSD Challenge 2010:Jul 12/12 ;); Jun 21/14 :T; May : 6/6 :D
    GC 2010: Jul £134.03/£150.00 :cool:; Jun £278.86/£275.00 :mad:; May £276.13/£280.00 :T
  • patentgirl
    patentgirl Posts: 1,028
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Morning all

I am struggling this month as really cut back to bare minimum as overspent month before, trying to eat mainly out of storecupboard and freezer although that is getting bit low now, chilli tonight shouldnt need to go to shops till Friday
    Lovely recipe recovering spendaholic will definatly give that a try when got all ingredients or near enough in used last of mayo at weekend determined not to go and buy some as know will end up buying all offers best thing for me is "dont go near shops"!
    Frugal challenge 2024

• pipersky
    pipersky Posts: 954 Forumite
    Hiya everyone - not kept an eagle eye on spends, however I know I haven't done any proper grocery shopping since the middle of last week until last night - £15.10 spent, but will add another £10 for ready made sandwiches etc bought the last few days. We got the keys to our house (:)), but have paid the rent on the flat for June so we can clean and decorate the new house before we move in. There is nowhere to store food there at the mo (no fridge/freezer) so take out food is a must and ready made sandwiches are cheapest! I'm going to count 2 days as NSD's (got my sis to make some lunch for us one day and went to parents another). Will update siggy... (and I promise to start keeping track again!)...
    Part time GCer, NSDer, Comper and (Bad)Flylady :o
    A big shot is just a little shot that kept shooting ...
  • Winged_one
    Winged_one Posts: 610 Forumite
    I spent €84 this weekend. €34 in the farmer's market and €50 in Mr D (well, OH did there). The FM included a nice piece of organic local rarebreed pork for roasting (€10) (we love their pork chops, but those were sold out), stuffed mushrooms, nice tomatoes (for my lunchtime salads), 4 bottles of apple juice, a smoked mackeral, and elderflower cordial. We didn't need a lot in Mr D, but DD wanted cereal and the 2 of them spotted a large tub of strawbs at 100% extra free (I might have bought them, but those 2 are strawbs fiends!). Had some straight from pack, and made a victoria sponge which I sliced some into - and have half the pack for dessert tonight.

Menu for this week is:
    Sun: Rasher sambos (late arrival home - and needed to use yummy rashers from previous FM trip)
    Mon: Chicken fajitas (had smoked mackeral for lunch with salad)
    Tues: Stuffed mushrooms and salad
    Wed: Prawn tikka masala (from freezer)
    Thurs: Nasi Goreng
    Fri: Chorizo Potatoes
    Sat: Probably a mushroom or fish risotto
    Sun: Roast pork with crackling!!!

Shouldn't need anything else from SM this week - and should be a small shop next week too as I will have lots of salad from plot again, have enough meat in freezer I think, and should only need sambo meat and milk, bread, fruit to keep us going. Oh, and some peppers for salads.
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • ellemm
    ellemm Posts: 11,262
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    Not posted this week, will update signature later as not at home just now.
    Had to spend a bit more this week stocking up with meat stuff for freezer meals, mostly for OH-

Did a batch cook at the weekend and made:-
    3 portions of beef & sausage for Steak Pie for OH
    3 portions of Greek style pork using a shoulder pork joint from Mr M-ate 2 on Sunday and put other in the freezer.
    12 sausage rolls
    Gammon joint cooked in cola in slow cooker, lovely with salad yesterday and OH has in sandwiches for his lunch today
    8 lamb & feta burgers
    7 jars of pickled beetroot

Plan tonight is to maybe bake (unless the tennis at Queens distracts me :D) and make vanilla ice cream.

Took advantage of the half price Velvet toilet rolls in Co-op, bought 2 packs as my stash from last time was getting low :cool:

Nice to see all the newbies joining in.
  • welshkaz
    welshkaz Posts: 288 Forumite
    £8.15 for me today local market for fruit and veg eggs and milk ive given up on nsd at the mo lol
    may groc challenge £167/£280...
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi everyone,

i`ve just totalled up all my receipts and i`m a bit shocked to see that i`ve spent over half my budget already :eek:

On the plus side i`ve made a new freezer list as i have to run it right down to be emptied ready to order a new one and we have so much food in there its unbelieveable :o

Meal plan for the rest of the week is :-

Today - Sausage and onion pasta with red pesto
    Wednesday - Cheats paella & garlic bread
    Thursday - HM pizza
    Friday - Tuna & mayo salad
    Saturday - Tomato dahl & rice

I have the beginnings of a meal plan for the rest of the month that i should be able to loosely stick to by swapping the meals/days around depending on what we fancy or whats convenient as working shifts sometimes scuppers normal plans but i have my fingers crossed.

There`s no way that i can be over budget after upping the amount that i can spend this month, the extra is meant to be spent stocking the new cupboards back up to a normal level, i was shocked to find that i had only one tin of tomatoes and only half a carton of passatta that i`d frozen for another day :eek:

Keep up the good work everyone.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills