June 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    £8.59 spent in Asda today. Got, 2 big bags of prawn crackers (my favourite treat) chicken breasts, fish fillets, chocolate digestives, Aunt Bessies frozen mash and a big bag of Soda bread flour. Yay! Scotland finally sells it! Will update my sig!
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • ASC
    ASC Posts: 153
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    wssla00 wrote: »
    Morning all :) Aiming for an NSD for today and tomorrow as not venturing out today and am at the hospital tomorrow so wont be in the mood to spend any money!

Going to make some snacks. Perhaps some cheese biscuits- does anyone have any recipes? I may take a look on the begining of the thread, some sausage rolls, perhaps some muffins and a quiche.

Well... better go and clean up! Have a good day!

Hi, I've been making cheese scones a lot lately. I don't know if there's a recipe on the front page but I roughly follow this:

8 oz SR flour
    1 tsp salt
    2 oz butter
    1 medium egg
    4 tbls milk
    2 oz cheese
    1/2 tsp mustard
    1/4 tsp black pepper

(Although I do up the cheese, pepper and mustard a little) I tend to blitz the dry stuff in a food processor first, then add the wet and it all comes together nicely. I don't bother rolling out, just roll small amounts in your hands and blob onto a greased baking tray. Brush with milk or egg and cook at GM7 for about 10-12 minutes. Taste so good hot from the oven but nice cold too!

HTH
    A x

PS. I've got some pastry and sausagemeat in the freezer so I'm planning to try sausage rolls myself soon.
  • boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,310
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Milk off this morning,so trip to Mr M's got some of the stuff on offer that we like and that we were running out off, total spend $21.58 but that also include's the stamp's for the saving's card.
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    ASC wrote: »
    Hi, I've been making cheese scones a lot lately. I don't know if there's a recipe on the front page but I roughly follow this:

8 oz SR flour
    1 tsp salt
    2 oz butter
    1 medium egg
    4 tbls milk
    2 oz cheese
    1/2 tsp mustard
    1/4 tsp black pepper

(Although I do up the cheese, pepper and mustard a little) I tend to blitz the dry stuff in a food processor first, then add the wet and it all comes together nicely. I don't bother rolling out, just roll small amounts in your hands and blob onto a greased baking tray. Brush with milk or egg and cook at GM7 for about 10-12 minutes. Taste so good hot from the oven but nice cold too!

HTH
    A x

PS. I've got some pastry and sausagemeat in the freezer so I'm planning to try sausage rolls myself soon.

Thanks for this! Will give them a go!

I made sausage and spring onion sausage rolls last week and they were great!
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • poppy-glos
    poppy-glos Posts: 478 Forumite

eggs £3.25 ( 30 free range straight from the farm)
    2 x 55p tin coconut milk from co-op.

for the first time since starting the grocery challenge i haven't overspent in the first 7 days, horrah!

made a rice salad for lunch today, not sure if i've posted it before

i mug basmati rice - boiled and drained
    2 tablespoons mayo
    some black pepper
    small tin drained mandarin oranges (drained and drank the juice)
    four spring/salad onions chopped
    mix all the above, then at last minute scatter with salted peanuts (i use the 25 p value ones from tesco)

:o

nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
  • angelatgraceland
    angelatgraceland Posts: 3,342 Forumite
    Not been on here much-lack of time--but still focused on budget and have kept my spending diary uptodate. Shortage of paid work but the extra time allows extra vigilance on the budgetfront! Just made a pizza type meal with jusrol puff pastry which is a naughty treat for me. Salads have been a favourite the last few weeks using the lettuces from the garden and sprouted chickpeas and mungbeans plus the usual salady stuff from shops. Ive returned to Lidl as my main shop for their prices and unusual cold meats. Same quality as Waitrose meats the deli section but a fraction of the cost.
    Now have breadmaker on for a nice loaf-going to bake it in the oven though. Had to buy bits and pieces for house and garden which add up rather fast and have found "Proper Job" are excellent on prices-if you have one locally do take a look. I will update my totals later today as they are way behind!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • welshkaz
    welshkaz Posts: 288 Forumite
    rainy day here in wales but only a small spend to add £3.00 onto sig x
    may groc challenge £167/£280...
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 7 June 2010 at 5:19PM
    poppy-glos wrote: »
    ... made a rice salad for lunch today, not sure if i've posted it before ...

Yes you did, its already in the front page list :D

ASC - your cheese scone recipe is now in the front page recipe list! :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    freakygore - what is the toilet roll offer in Co-op?

They have a 9 pack of Triple Velvet for £2.50 (Somerfield should too, but I don't have one near). I didn't stop on my way home so will pop in tomorrow and see if they have any. Or I may wander down later.

£2.39 spent today - got some bananas in Sainsburys which usually have 8 in a bag, but found a bag with 10 big ones!

Oh, and some more Kettle Chips. No more!!
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • looie
    looie Posts: 706 Forumite
    hi all, just updated my signature with my weekend spends. I spent £5.52 in Mr S and £20.92 in Mr A.

I only have £31.54 so I think it is going to be very tight now this month.

Have a good evening everyone :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport