Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 20th Mar 10, 10:06 AM
    • 7,582Posts
    • 1,747Thanks
    50Twuncle
    WFHRA assessment
    • 20th Mar 10, 10:06 AM
    WFHRA assessment 20th Mar 10 at 10:06 AM
    Yesterday - 8 months after my previous assessment - I had my WFHRA - which turned out to be a joke !!
    I was actually seen 20 minutes late and was in the office for 20 minutes
    The "girl" who saw me - failed to introduce herself - she could have been anyone off the street - and she was Eastern European - speaking poor English and understanding even less.
    I had prepared for the medical by producing 2 sides of A4 with the "standard Q & A" on it - she refused to accept this - preferring, instead to make me struggle to get a few words out of me (I am virtually unable to speak) - had it not been for my supporter (from Headway) - the whole thing would have been laughable ......
    This was not a medical - it was a "SILLY LITTLE GIRL - TRYING TO SPEAK ENGLISH TO ME, FAILING TO LISTEN TO MY REPLIES/FAILING TO UNDERSTAND MY REPLIES" !!
    No medical was performed - to see what I was/was not capable of doing.

What was the point of my attending (and getting "worked up over the thought of it" ?)

I am making an official complaint about my treatment.
    Last edited by 50Twuncle; 20-03-2010 at 3:43 PM.
Page 1
  • Oldernotwiser
    • 20th Mar 10, 4:07 PM
    • 20th Mar 10, 4:07 PM
    I think that your prejudices are showing!
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 20th Mar 10, 4:13 PM
    • 7,582 Posts
    • 1,747 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 20th Mar 10, 4:13 PM
    • 20th Mar 10, 4:13 PM
    Maybe they are - but they are still functioning and they agree with me - I was fuming after yesterdays "medical"
    I was expecting someone who could speak English -and who would at least, try to understand me - and not virtually rip my notes out of my hand to stop me from using them !!
    That's not a bad rate of pay for someone pulled in - off the street - £60 for 20 minutes work.
    Last edited by 50Twuncle; 20-03-2010 at 4:32 PM.
  • dmg24
    • 20th Mar 10, 4:39 PM
    • 20th Mar 10, 4:39 PM
    Did you read the information I provided on your previous thread? The WFHRA is not a medical as such.

The person that you saw will be a medical professional, so far from a 'girl'. I have to agree with ONW that you do seem to have let prejudices affect your attitude towards the situation.

I am not sure where you have got the £60 rate from?

If you do wish to make a complaint, you need to rethink your grounds, or at least the way that you express them. Writing something along the lines of the above will get you a curt reply that the person is fully qualified to fulfil their role.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 20th Mar 10, 7:59 PM
    • 7,582 Posts
    • 1,747 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 20th Mar 10, 7:59 PM
    • 20th Mar 10, 7:59 PM
    £60 is what the Medical professional gets paid by DWP for the assessment for however long it takes
    • daska
    • By daska 20th Mar 10, 8:24 PM
    • 6,013 Posts
    • 11,915 Thanks
    daska
    • 20th Mar 10, 8:24 PM
    • 20th Mar 10, 8:24 PM
    TBH I had my WFHRA this week and had a very similar experience. Whilst the doctor (and yes it was a Dr) had very good technical written English his accent was so strong that I struggled to understand him.

I made a point of stating at the outset that I needed slow clear speech and struggled with strong accents because my concentration is impaired and I find it difficult to learn new skills - according to his report I would benefit from retraining.

He raised his voice when I failed to understand his question about my 'sealed'. My sealed what? Eventually he explained he was asking about my 2 year old 'child'.

When he called me from the waiting room I failed to hear my name because his accent was so strong that the way he pronounced my name actually turned it into a female name into completely different male name.

When asked about hobbies I mentioned that I had just started attending a 6 week costume workshop for a parade later in the year. 1.5 hours with a carer to do the difficult bits like cutting and sticking and carrying etc. So according to the doctor I am now working.

My support worker explained that we had brought my wheelchair because the last medical had resulted in my needing 3 people to move me from the interview room to to the car, so his professional evaluation was that I had no difficulty walking.

He stated that my speech was 'vivid' and that I was perfectly able to return to work immediately -even though we had clearly explained that at the last medical I had been literally dribbling on the same desk he was now sat at. Ad nauseam...

So in what way was that doctor able to do the job he was paid to do? His accent was impenetrable, his behaviour unprofessional and his summation completely inaccurate. All in all a waste of tax payers money.

We've rung the JC+ and explained and requested a copy of the original medical from the ESA helpline and I feel another letter to my MP coming on...
  • dmg24
    • 20th Mar 10, 9:53 PM
    • 20th Mar 10, 9:53 PM
    £60 is what the Medical professional gets paid by DWP for the assessment for however long it takes
    Originally posted by 21Twinkle
    Do you have evidence of this?
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 22nd Mar 10, 9:01 AM
    • 7,582 Posts
    • 1,747 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 22nd Mar 10, 9:01 AM
    • 22nd Mar 10, 9:01 AM
    I did have a link that mentioned a £60 payment to Atos Doctors no matter how long the medical went on for - but have lost it
    I have emailed Atos to get a travelling expenses form and received the response expected "We do not pay any travelling expenses" - funny thing - according to the leaflet sent to me originally - they do - Also - see http://www.whywaitforever.com/dwpatos.html for a good and somewhat long website with a similar experience to what I am going through
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 22nd Mar 10, 10:39 AM
    • 7,582 Posts
    • 1,747 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 22nd Mar 10, 10:39 AM
    • 22nd Mar 10, 10:39 AM
    Found it - http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/news-archive/170-dwp-doctors-earn-how-much - and I was wrong - try £104 per (DLA) medical + travelling expenses at 40p per mile -
    But what about incapacity for work personal capability assessments?
    These are carried out at Medical Examination Centres. According to Nestor, doctors have the potential to earn more than £300 a day carrying out examination centre work. They also explain that on average doctors examine 4 to 5 clients within a 3.5 hour period of work in the centres. So a reasonable estimate is that a doctor doing two sessions a day would see up to 10 clients in order to earn that £300.
    So that’s around £30 a time for incapacity medicals. But the faster the doctor can zip through them – the fewer questions they ask and the less typing they do – the more money they can earn.
    For me (living in the sticks) - I was the only "client" there and the "medical professional" was still 25 minutes late and I was hurried through in 20 minutes - it all starts to become clear to me now .....
    Last edited by 50Twuncle; 22-03-2010 at 10:43 AM.
  • gutbrod10
    atos only pay the client, patient 25p per mile to travell to a medical and there doctors medical staff get 40p then !
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 22nd Mar 10, 11:20 AM
    • 7,582 Posts
    • 1,747 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Yep !
    That's why "medical professionals" can afford nice houses, cars and holidays ...
    Don't forget that some of these "medical professionals" have been trained at our expense (the UK ones) and may be earning astonishing money through their practice - this DWP pay is just extra "pocket money" to them...
    Last edited by 50Twuncle; 22-03-2010 at 12:08 PM.
  • krisskross
    Yep !
    That's why "medical professionals" can afford nice houses, cars and holidays ...
    Don't forget that some of these "medical professionals" have been trained at our expense (the UK ones) and may be earning astonishing money through their practice - this DWP pay is just extra "pocket money" to them...
    And you have a problem with people being educated and training for many years being paid decent money? I do not begrudge one single penny of my taxes that pays for their education,although I do begrudge the cost of University education for some of the more unlikely to lead to work degrees.

You sound as if there is a touch of the green eyed monster lurking.
  • dmg24
    Found it - http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/news-archive/170-dwp-doctors-earn-how-much - and I was wrong - try £104 per (DLA) medical + travelling expenses at 40p per mile -
    But what about incapacity for work personal capability assessments?
    These are carried out at Medical Examination Centres. According to Nestor, doctors have the potential to earn more than £300 a day carrying out examination centre work. They also explain that on average doctors examine 4 to 5 clients within a 3.5 hour period of work in the centres. So a reasonable estimate is that a doctor doing two sessions a day would see up to 10 clients in order to earn that £300.
    So that’s around £30 a time for incapacity medicals. But the faster the doctor can zip through them – the fewer questions they ask and the less typing they do – the more money they can earn.
    For me (living in the sticks) - I was the only "client" there and the "medical professional" was still 25 minutes late and I was hurried through in 20 minutes - it all starts to become clear to me now .....
    You cannot rely on hearsay as to how much a medical professional gets paid.

atos only pay the client, patient 25p per mile to travell to a medical and there doctors medical staff get 40p then !
    Originally posted by gutbrod10
    The 40p rate is for tax reasons, and takes into account depreciation and maintenance as a result of using the vehicle for business use. The 25p rate does not take into account depreciation etc, as the car is not used primarily for the purposes of getting to the assessment centre.

Yep !
    You really are not helping yourself with this attitude.
  • Robert Hopkins
    According to the Employment and Support Allowance Regulations you are only supposed to have one work focused health related assessment throughout the duration of a claim. You can however have frequent Limited Capability for work and limited capability for work related activity assessments. The work focused health related assessment is a joke. It is all about producing a report for a jobcentre personal adviser to discuss your next steps to work. I had my WFHRA in Nov 2009 and I keep on getting my pathways to work interview deferred. It is now March 2010 and we still have not discussed the report.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 22nd Mar 10, 3:30 PM
    • 7,582 Posts
    • 1,747 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    You cannot rely on hearsay as to how much a medical professional gets paid.

This is not "heresay" - it is fact - a GP EARNS around £63,000 + whatever they screw from DWP - http://www.mysalary.co.uk/average-salary/Gp_1231

The 40p rate is for tax reasons, and takes into account depreciation and maintenance as a result of using the vehicle for business use. The 25p rate does not take into account depreciation etc, as the car is not used primarily for the purposes of getting to the assessment centre.

So they can claim tax rebates back as well - ???

You really are not helping yourself with this attitude.
    Originally posted by dmg24
    Attitudes are not the question - I may have "this attitude" - but it has been caused by DWP/ATOS
  • ShockingPink
    So they can claim tax rebates back as well - ???
    40p a mile is what HMRC allow for business mileage (not travel from home to work, but travel between sites on your own or your employer's business). Even poorly-paid part-time workers like me are entitled to it. As already stated, it takes into account depreciation, wear-and-tear and the extra costs of business insurance. My car would last much longer if I didn't use it mainly for work
    C'est le ton qui fait la chanson
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 22nd Mar 10, 6:56 PM
    • 7,582 Posts
    • 1,747 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    This is minor compared to the actual pay that they receive
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

309Posts Today

3,511Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin