Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning > Sail to New York and back?? is it possible? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Sail to New York and back?? is it possible?
Closed Thread
Views: 3,246
# 1
WOW Factor 0
niamhtra66
Old 08-02-2010, 9:50 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Sail to New York and back?? is it possible?

I've spent days trying to find a way to sail to New York and back, Cunard do sail from Southampton which takes 6 days there and 6 back, the only options there seems to be are to sail 6 days there, spend the day in New York then sail 6 days back which seems a long way to go for a few hours. The other option is to sail 6 days there then wait for that ship to sail back to Southampton (6days) then back to New York (another 6 days) before returning, which means a stay of 12 days in New York which i think is a bit long, especially when you add in the 12 days return travel .

Has anybody done this trip and is there anyway that we could do it with a 3 or 4 day stay in New York? Btw flying is deffo out of the question, alot easier i know but that's the way it has to be.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.
# 2
zildjian09
Old 08-02-2010, 10:00 AM
MoneySaving Convert

is there any way you could sail out with cunard and come back with a different compny, or vice versa? that seems to be the only way to do it if you didn't want to spend too long in new york.
The Following User Says Thank You to zildjian09 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
C_Mababejive
Old 08-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

http://www.freightercruises.com/
Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C_Mababejive For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Diamond Olly
Old 08-02-2010, 10:59 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

When do you want to travel? Cunard are the main cruise line going into NY, but you can sometimes come back from a different port (depends on the time of year however)
I am a Travel Agent
My company’s ATOL/ABTA numbers are S0466/3973. MSE doesn't check my status as a Travel Agent, so you need to take my word for it. Atol numbers can be checked with the Civil Aviation Authority. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Travel Agent Code of Conduct.
The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Olly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
HGLTsuperstar
Old 08-02-2010, 1:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Or fly one-way and sail the other?
The Following User Says Thank You to HGLTsuperstar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
HGLTsuperstar
Old 08-02-2010, 1:41 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

BTW 12 days in New York is not enough IMO - I want to move there.
The Following User Says Thank You to HGLTsuperstar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Mr Lahey
Old 08-02-2010, 1:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGLTsuperstar View Post
BTW 12 days in New York is not enough IMO - I want to move there.
12 days in New York is more than enough! Its a great city, but lets be honest - a long weekend is fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Lahey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
bcl999
Old 08-02-2010, 3:06 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGLTsuperstar View Post
Or fly one-way and sail the other?
Read the OPs first post.
The Following User Says Thank You to bcl999 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
bcl999
Old 08-02-2010, 3:24 PM
PPR

Don't bother reading the original reply below! Just realised the repositioning crossing takes 14 days so you'd be away just about as long as if you'd taken QM2 both ways and stayed the 12 nights in between. Have to say I now think you are not going to be able to do this (due to fact QM2 is fastest and the repositioning cruises "dawdle" i.e calling in Azors, etc. Unless you dedide to do a QM2 "turnaround" with only the day in NYC.

My original reply:
It may just be possible if you can fit in a QM2 crossing that gets in a few days before one of the repositioning cruises leave. You would have to be very flexible with your dates as it only happens say twice a year - when the cruise ships come over to Europe for summer and then when they go back again for teh winter in the Caribbean. Even then, only a few call into or leave from New York, ,most go from Florida.

For example, there is a MSC repostioning cruise on the Poesia which leaves Port Everglades on 27 April and calls in at New York on 30 April. It's likely that you can book to join at New York. Looking at Cunard, the only westbound crossing around that time leaves S'hampton on 22 April arrivng NYC 29 April, so it would only give you one night in New York. (QM2 usually arrives early and you can ask to get off first. Poesia is supposed to be in port till 11pm on the 30th and you might not need to embark until 9pm, so you could have 2 full days there.)

Bad luck this time with the timings but I hope I've given some idea of how you might eventually find 2 crossings that will give you a few days in New York. It won't be easy. ANd, of course, int he autumn, you'll be looking at repsotioning cruises westbound and the QM2 crossing eastbound.

(I have to say I have done a westbound QM2 crossing (flew back) and found it something of an anti-climax. I had expected to enjoy the cruise more than NYC but it was quite the opposite- I'd go back to New York in a second but I wouldn't do the TA crossing again.)

Last edited by bcl999; 08-02-2010 at 3:43 PM.
# 10
niamhtra66
Old 09-02-2010, 10:52 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks for all the advise, agree with bcl999, i would have to jiggle around the days to find a repositioning ship, we are planning to go between feb and april next year but we are really flexible about the date so i think that is prob the best route.
# 11
bcl999
Old 13-02-2010, 7:18 PM
PPR

Just came across this when i was browsing some cruise agent sites this afternoon - http://www.socruise.com/view-cruise/122311/

Any use to you?
# 12
niamhtra66
Old 18-03-2010, 5:45 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl999 View Post
Just came across this when i was browsing some cruise agent sites this afternoon - http://www.socruise.com/view-cruise/122311/

Any use to you?
Thanks, a surprising find and something for me to keep in mind, need to get a definite date so we can start looking at other ships.
thanks for taking the time, much appreciated.
# 13
jackieblack
Old 20-03-2010, 7:02 AM

If 12 days is too long, why not spend a few days in NY, then move onto somewhere else, like Washington DC or Boston for a few days, heading back to NY for the return sailing? You could use the train as flying is not an option.
2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
The Following User Says Thank You to jackieblack For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
bcl999
Old 20-03-2010, 8:11 AM
PPR

Check out Cunard site. I'm sure I saw a 2way crossing with something like 5 nights in NYC advertised recently. I couldn't find this thread to post it at the time.
# 15
LondonDiva
Old 20-03-2010, 8:22 AM

Lots of companies sail to NY fromSouthampton.

NCL are sailing their new ship in June - have a look at cruise sites like www.cruise.co.uk or www.cruisedeals.co.uk and other sites to get dates and lines that suit you.
"This is a forum - not a support group. We do not "owe" anyone unconditional acceptance of their opinions."
Closed Thread