Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Smiley_Mum
    • By Smiley_Mum 6th Jan 10, 4:15 AM
    • 3,778 Posts
    • 2,909 Thanks
    Smiley_Mum
    • 6th Jan 10, 4:15 AM
    • 6th Jan 10, 4:15 AM
    I've just completed my budget for the year and it's good news. I much prefer it to the old version too.

Can't see any problems with it. Easy to fill out and I like the fact that you can save it and go back to it at a later date. It's a bit more "fun" to fill out, if making a budget can be fun. Big red button, the reels at the end as it's totting up your budget, and the anticipation whether you are going to be under or overspent. Very good.
    Last edited by Smiley_Mum; 06-01-2010 at 5:31 AM.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
    • BatGirlPants
    • By BatGirlPants 6th Jan 10, 10:21 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    BatGirlPants
    • 6th Jan 10, 10:21 AM
    • 6th Jan 10, 10:21 AM
    Found a problem - with desired spend is says 'monthly desired' BUT it calculates it on the interval you originally chose (i.e weekly/quarterly).
    It also doesn't compare your desired spend to your actual spend or give you a complete total for desired.

Overall though I love it, easy to use and helpful.
    Last edited by BatGirlPants; 06-01-2010 at 10:21 AM. Reason: submitted too quickly
  • keeryhome
    • 6th Jan 10, 10:23 AM
    Thank You
    • 6th Jan 10, 10:23 AM
    Thank you so much, this really helped.
  • LordLee
    • 6th Jan 10, 11:38 AM
    • 6th Jan 10, 11:38 AM
    keeps asking me to login... but i see no way of doing so?
    • itwiz
    • By itwiz 6th Jan 10, 1:01 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    itwiz
    • 6th Jan 10, 1:01 PM
    • 6th Jan 10, 1:01 PM
    My income was exactly the same as my spend and it said that I spend £0 more than I earn and have substantial overspend!

I think a "subscriptions" category would be good - for magazines, memberships, web services etc.

Cheers.
  • mcolqu
    • 6th Jan 10, 1:31 PM
    Login problem
    • 6th Jan 10, 1:31 PM
    keeps asking me to login... but i see no way of doing so?
    Originally posted by LordLee
    Same thing is happening to me. Did you manage to find out what the problem is?
    Mike.
  • LordLee
    • 6th Jan 10, 1:48 PM
    • 6th Jan 10, 1:48 PM
    nope... not yet
    • Smiley_Mum
    • By Smiley_Mum 7th Jan 10, 3:03 AM
    • 3,778 Posts
    • 2,909 Thanks
    Smiley_Mum
    • 7th Jan 10, 3:03 AM
    • 7th Jan 10, 3:03 AM
    Just came across a budgeting calculator which states the following for your money.

50% needs
    30% wants
    20% savings

Mine isn't at that balance but I'm managing to get by until I get can get my finances on an even keel again.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • thorndave
    Same thing is happening to me. Did you manage to find out what the problem is?
    Originally posted by mcolqu
    I keep getting that as well - and because I havent, it wont register the amounts I'm entering. Maybe you have to log in/register at the budget brain website.
    • Smiley_Mum
    • By Smiley_Mum 8th Jan 10, 3:22 PM
    • 3,778 Posts
    • 2,909 Thanks
    Smiley_Mum
    I login by putting in www.budgetbrain.com in the address section of the browser. If I try to login in through Moneysaving Expert it keeps saying I'm already logged in.
    Last edited by Smiley_Mum; 08-01-2010 at 3:32 PM.
    • canspendnomore
    • By canspendnomore 9th Jan 10, 4:47 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 859 Thanks
    canspendnomore
    I prefer this to the other version too. The only thing that I don't like is that you can't print off a copy of it. That would be really useful for when you are away from the computer.
  • stagey
    it didn't total my income correctly before I started - left out the first box of income after tax - I'lltry again as can't see that here as a problem.

it did a second time
    Last edited by stagey; 10-01-2010 at 5:32 PM.
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 12th Jan 10, 1:22 PM
    • 2,373 Posts
    • 5,146 Thanks
    tori.k
    A great tool. better then the older, but it is much harder to read then the make sense of cards layout when its been posted as a SOA on the DFW forum, could this be tweeked?
  • baby_fuzz
    quite a nice tool, but can anyone else understand that pie chart at the very end? surely it is a completely erroneous way of displaying the income/outgoing data?
    • manamaga
    • By manamaga 3rd Feb 10, 7:06 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    manamaga
    Great tool but is there a way of exporting the results to excel or word format? Many companies ask for an 'incoming outgoings' statement, it would be good to be able to export the breakdown to print off or email.
  • icklepiggle
    When I press the big red button to get my results the table doesn't pull through the desired spend to compare
    DMP for 6 months & going well!
  • icklepiggle
    Getting data out of Budget Brain
    Great tool but is there a way of exporting the results to excel or word format? Many companies ask for an 'incoming outgoings' statement, it would be good to be able to export the breakdown to print off or email.
    Originally posted by manamaga
    If you click the link to 'Your Budgets' it goes to the 'your Budget plans' page, which gives you the bar chart of ins & outs, there is a link at the bottom to post your Statement of Affairs to the forum. If you click that button you can copy & paste out of the template forum posting & dump it into Word. It doesn't look pretty but if you are happy to muck about with the formats I'm sure you could tidy it up!
  • icklepiggle
    When I press the big red button to get my results the table doesn't pull through the desired spend to compare
    Originally posted by icklepiggle

ok - just tried again & it is working !
  • djdarren
    Edit & save problem
    I have edited my budget and I cannot save the changes, I am logged in but it keeps reverting back to the original? can anyone help?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

405Posts Today

3,511Users online

Martin's Twitter