Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > July 2009 Grocery Challenge (Page 21)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
July 2009 Grocery Challenge
Views: 47,522
# 401
natsing
Old 13-07-2009, 8:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi All

Not really been updating this thread much, however I'm still on track, my months are payday linked, and I only have one more shopping week left, all stocked up for this week and can easily meet my 20 for next, so hoping to be there or thereabouts!
Good luck with the rest of the month all.
Debt free 11/05/11!

Savings 4000/ 300

Last edited by natsing; 14-07-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to natsing For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 402
MoneyQueen
Old 13-07-2009, 9:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi,

I seem to be well on track this month. I have spent £37.40 in cash and have used £3 of vouchers on groceries till today. I am doing another shop this Friday and will try to keep it below £15... So hopefully I will be below my target of £100 this month

MQ
Cash ISA savings: 44,734.02, Non ISA Savings: 19,470.41, Current House Value: 145,000, Debts: 56,698.21, Savings Goal for New house: 274,000

Balance still to save by 23rd Oct, 2019: 166,227.80
Slimming World Christmas Challenge: 22 lbs to loose
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to MoneyQueen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 403
kiwiblue
Old 13-07-2009, 9:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi
I seem to be managing better this month, have run out of dog biscuits but will make some today. So should make target ok.
Jan $380.28/$400 Feb $305.53/ $380
Mar $380.00/$400 Apr $316.00/$500
May $390.00/$400 June $275/$400
July $395.00/$400 August $377/$400
Sept $275/$400 Oct $305/$400
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to kiwiblue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 404
elf06
Old 13-07-2009, 9:37 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

kiwiblue - how do you make your dog bics?????
Emma
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to elf06 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 405
cw18
Old 13-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Just updated my sig with spends since last update on 7th......

This includes 6 litres of milk (£2.94), 2 pizzas (£2.38), bananas (32p), bread (47p), 2 tubs of cheese & onion sandwich filler (whoopsies - total of £1.20 instead of £2.70), 2 packs of unsmoked streaky bacon (whoopsies - total of £1.30 instead of £2.58) and 2 seeded rolls (whoopsie - 20p instead of 59p).

I now stand at a spend to date of £16.50 out of a monthly budget of £118.60 (£49.74 to end of day would be on budget, so I've spent a shade over a third of that) - and I've had 7 NSDs including today

Our local Mr M opened this morning, so after my voluntary stint at the local primary school finished (11:30am) I wandered down for a look. Hard to really get to grips with the place as it was heaving (never saw it so busy when it was S/flds - not even just before Christmas), but I wasn't impressed with the couple of bits I specifically checked out.

We now have fish, butchers, hot chicken and deli counters - so had a quick look at the deli one. I was looking forward to being able to get an odd slice of something for my lunch-time butty if I fancied a change - but the prices are scaring me off Yorkshire Ham @ £1.05/100g after a 20p discount

The other thing I wanted to check out was ice-cream. DS and I both eat vanilla (which I've been getting from A!di) and Mint Choc Chip. I also eat Raspberry Ripple (another A!di purchase) while DS eats Neopolitan. What I can't get from A!di I've been getting from Mr T, but it means taking the car so I'd hoped to be able to get from Mr M...... which isn't going to happen. They had at least 4 (think it was 5) types of vanilla, plus a chocolate one. Other than that it was only the expensive / speciality / big name tubs Guess I need to find their "suggestions" procedure and politely suggest they swap out some of the vanillas for other flavours :confused:
Cheryl as of 10th September :
Frugal Living '14 (6080.72/12k); GC (1556.85/3195); NSDs (136/150)
GC spent / Budget : Sep 40.34 / 281.32. to 31st Aug '14 1516.51 / 2051.53, balance +535.02
Whoopsies spent / value : Sep 0.00 / 0.00. to 31st Auf '14 49.57 / 120.20
NSDs achieved / target : Sep 5 / 10.
to 31st Aug '14 131 / 115
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to cw18 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 406
barneydee
Old 14-07-2009, 7:39 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default over budget

I set myself a budget of 150.00 for this month, but have blown it (283.00)
and we are not at the end of the month yet, and that is not taking into account what my other half has spent, i started of good,keeping a diary but after the first week I lapsed, I know it was do able as my freezer, fridge and store cupboards are bursting at the seems. I get paid on Friday will do a small shop as i have run out of a few basis i.e. cheese,salad stuff fruit,milk,potatoes then I will get back on the wagon, i have instructed OH that he is to keep a list of what he spends.

The only good thing is that studying my recipts and looking at what I got I can see where there where items I could have done with out i.e. magazines, Chocolate.

I do cook from scratch but one of my problems is that my lot are all fussy eaters.

My plan for August is:
To keep a spending diary I am going to do a spread sheet if i can to track what I am spending.
I am going to do a store cupboard challenge.
I am going to set a higher budget then month by month get it down to where I want to be.
And i am going to post more on here as you guys are great and I am sure you will help me keep on track

Dee
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to barneydee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 407
barneydee
Old 14-07-2009, 7:44 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default oh yes

also forgot I am going to do a monthly meal plan and do my shopping list and stick to it, I will post my menu later

Dee
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to barneydee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 408
kiwiblue
Old 14-07-2009, 10:01 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Dog Biscuits
Hi elf06
I make extra gravy with a roast, use this as the base, then add any/all of the following, depending on whats around.
egg
mint
garlic
oil
cooked rice
bind with flour, roll out and cut into circles.
Bake at 180 degrees until cooked.
Dog loves them, and they are much better for her than the commercial ones.
Jan $380.28/$400 Feb $305.53/ $380
Mar $380.00/$400 Apr $316.00/$500
May $390.00/$400 June $275/$400
July $395.00/$400 August $377/$400
Sept $275/$400 Oct $305/$400

Last edited by kiwiblue; 14-07-2009 at 1:09 PM.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to kiwiblue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 409
Lemon_Verbena
Old 14-07-2009, 10:42 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi everyone

Belated congrats on the wedding Helen, may you and your DH have a lifetime of love, laughter and happiness. Just finally caught up with the thread been reading for two days now lol! Was very busy last week so couldn't post but we got some good news, my DH got the intrenal job he was wanting so now he won't be made 'surplus' and let go, so for the time being he's still employed and things aren't as bad as we thought

GC is going really well, amazing what you can do if you put your mind to it. I've spent almost 2/3rds of my budget (some whoopsies for the freezer and frozen food stock up) I have 13 days left to go, but have loads in the freezer and cupboards and have made meal plans which are working out very well. May follow the meal out Harry Potter treat tip if I can save enough cash out of the budget by the end of the month. Or may buy DH the new Star Trek film on DVD as we didn't go to see it when it was at the cinema cos we were scared he'd be unemployed so were saving cash.

I convinced DH to come with me to Farmfoods and Aldi, he's a 'snob' shopper and thinks that you have to buy branded foods only and can't shop at a supermarket other than Tesco, Asda or Sainsbury's I blame his mother lol! We got some nice stuff and so cheap, we're making the most of the Aldi super 6 deals we got lots of fruit and peppers for salads and to freeze for chilli, pizza topping etc, and he's taken a chicken pasta salad with some of the grapes mixed in today. We got a huge trolley full of stuff for less than 45 and that included a couple of treats and some baking stuff. The same branded and own label stuff from Asda would have cost me 75 or more, I know I'm preaching to the converted but I'm so pleased with the way things are working out Even got the cats some of Aldi's catfood which is 1.30 a box cheaper than whiskas and they lick the bowls clean, I was gobsmacked as they're really fussy eaters!

DH was well pleased with the reduced shopping bill and has been very impressed with taste and quality of the stuff we bought. I stocked up on frozen veg and fruit at Farmfoods which has saved me a fortune and I only use as much as I need and no peeling I wish I could grow salad stuff in my little garden like lots of you do, have tried in the past but the slugs get the goodies before we do I have grown some toms and potatoes in tubs and they're almost ready for use and I spotted a couple of strawberries which may be slug free. I did sow cucumber seeds but the slugs ate the little plants and the cut and come again lettuce was a slug salad bar and gone within seconds of it emerging so I give up! Waffle over, hope everyone is having a good day, if not hope it soon gets better. Have to shop tonight but only need lemons, red onions, yogurt and eggs had 2 NSD's in a row and 8 so far this month, which isn't bad for a family that used to go to Asda everyday and spend 30 or more on nothing!

LV x
Grocery Challenge : August 09 295.00 194.23, July 09 300.00 281.08

Last edited by Lemon_Verbena; 14-07-2009 at 10:45 AM.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Lemon_Verbena For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 410
elf06
Old 14-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi everyone - just had a little shop today. Really just went out to get myself and DS some fresh air as the poor little mite still isnt feeling good (and into Boots to get something to help him on their minor ailments service) and in the process nipped into Aldi for some cereal (noticed last week that their version of the cereal my son eats is more that 1 cheeper per box).
Also went into pet shop to get some catfood. Normally get cat food when I do my food shopping but had 10 voucher for petshop (as compensation for telling me some big fat fibs ) so decided to go and stock up on catfood as it is essentially 'free'
So all in all this morning I got a bottle of Calpol, bottle of own brand ibuprofen, 2 boxes of cereal, 3 x 12 Felix catfood and a box of own brand cat bics and only spent .............1.98

So really happy for this morning but still have a few bits to pick up when I go to work tonight so will leave updating sig until then
Have a good day all

Oh and kiwiblue thanks for the dog bic recipe
Emma
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to elf06 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 411
Puddleglum
Old 14-07-2009, 11:05 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi all! A quick rant coming on.

About six months ago I finally called time on running a B&B to concentrate on other things. Well we currently have some guests staying who have been before and so managed to tunnel in under the perimeter fence.

I have spent so much money on breakfasts you wouldn't believe it. B&B's can not run out of certain things whether or not the guests want to eat it! Only a fraction of what has been bought will be eaten by the guests in the week they are here. I have not included what I have spent in the total below as the cost will be met from their payment.

The worst thing about it is though that over the past few days I have gone from feeling in control of my life and spending to feeling completely out of control. Everything has to be fitted around the guests, DH, DS, DD and meows included.

OK, feeling slightly better now, got beds to make, better go. Slinks off.
"A thousand candles can be lit from a single candle without shortening the life of that candle."

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Puddleglum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 412
xx_Jo_xx
Old 14-07-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen jelly View Post
Hi
Jo - I've often thought about the jelly thing for lunch - does it stay ok until lunchtime - I have visions of it melting everywhere

Helen
Hi Helen - no they are fine. That said, I freeze his sandwiches, rolls etc and he has a thermal type lunchbox - and I put the sandwich in his lunchbox in the morning and it is defrosted by lunch, so perhaps cos its cold in there till lunchtime, I dont know, :confused: - but they have always been ok.

When it comes home after school and I am cleaning it out again, there are still tiny pieces of jelly which are still 'solid' (if you can call jelly solid!) - SET!! Thats the word Im looking for! So I dont think it 'melts' at all.

Went to aldi yesterday for the super six, got a load of grapes, some peppers, potatoes, some pesto and other bits that we needed and spent 9! That was for two big bags of shopping!! Very pleased with myself!

xx
Sometimes lurking, sometimes posting, but always flying
You are supposed to be the leading lady of your own life, for God's sake! - The Holiday
DFW August 2013... Debt total 15,475.56 - Jun 14 12,404.66 - DEBT FREE by AUGUST 2015
I will declutter my house and debts
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to xx_Jo_xx For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 413
DrFluffy
Old 14-07-2009, 11:30 AM

I made the sticky chicken recipe last night - really, really good!!!

I had a bit of a blip at the weekend, with graduation and everything, I brought drinks, a take away pizza. I can't even claim "you only graduate once" given it was my third!!! Still, it was definitely the best graduation!!! Added a rogue 20 to my runnin total though!!!
April Grocery Challenge 81/120
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to DrFluffy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 414
scotsaver
Old 14-07-2009, 1:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosieben View Post
My favourite courgette recipe is very easy (originally from Delia) -

fry sliced courgettes in oil until golden
slice some tomatoes

in a casserole dish put
- layer of courgettes
- layer of tomatoes
- layer of sliced cheese or cheese sauce

oven cook until golden brown on top

depending on how many courgettes I have I usually do 2 or 3 layers of each ending with a cheese/cheese sauce layer; if using cheese sauce then I grate a little cheese on the top

forgot to say that sometimes I add a couple of cloves of garlic when frying the courgettes
Hi rosieben - many thanks for this, looks really yummy. Shall give this a try tonight. I have all of Delia's Cookbooks - why is it when I have over 200 cookbooks I forget to look in the obvious places?:confused:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon_Verbena View Post
Hi everyone

my DH got the intrenal job he was wanting so now he won't be made 'surplus' and let go, so for the time being he's still employed and things aren't as bad as we thought

LV x
Hi Lemon_Verbena - many congrats on your OH getting that job, must be a weight off your mind.

I've updated my total as I've been to Lidl, Aldi and Asda today. Popped into Lidl as they have 400g packs of Cheese on special at only 1.24 and we use a lot of cheese. Got the Super 6 in Aldi and then into Asda for a big shop to try and tide me over until the end of the first week of the School Hols, plan is not to go shopping again until end of next week and only buy milk etc until then.

Asda had 3 litre bottles of Squash on special at 1 each either Blackcurrant or Orange & Pineapple, didn't spot anything else too exciting as I wanted to stick to my list and not veer off into temptation.

Have a good day everyone.
"WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to scotsaver For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 415
XSpender
Old 14-07-2009, 3:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hello

I was hoping to come in under budget this month to claw back a bit of the 80 overspend for the first 6 months but it doesn't look like it's going to happen

I am pleased with what we have spent this month though, although we will probably end up a bit over budget, I have stuck to 50 week but included absoloutly everything, that is food and drink, dog food and treats, OH beer, toiletries, hair dye, cleaning stuff, picnic food, snacks and drinks out and the one naughty takeaway we have had. Previously I have excluded some of the food eaten outside the house and some of OH beer but as there isn't another pot for this to come out of I think I was cooking the books a bit.

So far we have spent 217.11 so have 32.89 left to last 12 days which is possible if we don't eat out this weekend when we aree away in the caravan!:rolleyes:
2014 Goals

1) Find a job - DONE
2) 3000 emergency fund/1851
2) Keep up 52 week challenge for Christmas - Rest of Aug + Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec
3) Grocery spend under 60/week - Aug 90, Sept 67, Oct 72, Nov ?? Dec 0
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to XSpender For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 416
Coxy11
Old 14-07-2009, 4:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi - just popping in to update my spends total.

Have gone slightly over but nowhere near as bad as last month and the month before. Went to A!di today whilst visiting DMum and got some of their super 6 grapes, pots, peppers and bananas. Also got their brand of cereal, bread, and a couple of bags of their home cooked crisps as DH has a scout meeting here tonight and they need something to go with their 'leader pop'.

Don't expect to spend anything else on groceries this month (my month finishes on Sunday) but famous last words etc.....

Coxy
xx
December GC busted/450
Cross-stitch - WIP Girl with Cosmos
14 in 2014:15/14
Completed 2014: Blackwork Sampler, Ilkley, knitted snowmouse, crocheted starfish, Stockings, Silver Nia, Garden Medley, Owl coaster, Funky cushion, Daisy Girl, knitted church mouse x 2, knitted scarecrow, Christmas exchange, MP Cottage,
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Coxy11 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 417
elantan
Old 14-07-2009, 5:13 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Default i need help and i know you lovely peeps will help me

Hi all,

well ihavnt been on mse for a long long time ...i got busy trying to live but life kept getting in the way...anyway it isnt a very interesting story but i will be starting another diary on the dfw board if anyone is interested ...

but basically what it comes down to is hubby and i sat down with the finances ...we have 8 a day to spend on food/work/cleaning things etc etc ....now i know 8 a day is positively loads by the way some of you people manage to do things but for me it is very scary...

so i need help ...i am vegetarian hubby a carnivore...and i need it to be healthy ...my health isnt good i really need to get on top of it and what better way than a challange ...

other things ...well i work long hours doing shifts and i am a full time student i also have my own business (which isnt doing well i might need to look into shutting it down ) so i dont really have much time to cook ...hence the reason why i know all the take away numbers off by heart ...but at 8 a day that just cant happen anymore

and i cant cook ....thats not to say i cant cook i can just not very well...but i have absolutely no imagination in the kitchen at all ...unless it is something i have cooked several times before or is from a cook book forget it ...hubby is a good cook ...but everything has to have meat in it and he uses so many sauces etc that i just cant see a way we can afford to keep that up...

if you can help me get organised in this area i truly would appreaciate it... i need to get orgainsed ...

it needs to be cheap (what would be a good budget for food) (what for cleaning/work etc) vegetarian and carnivore ...healthy and quick

thanks for reading
march 2011-july2019 8 years and 4 months ... or 100 months and counting (currently 34/100)
100 week heath challenge may20th 2013- April 20th 2015
"what would you do if you knew you couldn't fail.... enjoy the adventure" " to my own self be true"

Last edited by elantan; 14-07-2009 at 5:15 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to elantan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 418
Callisto
Old 14-07-2009, 5:34 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I spent 14.81 at Aldi and 28.42 at Morrisons at the weekend, so I have 25.29 to last to the end of the month, not very impressed with myself! I may still be able to salvage the situation though... the freezer needs defrosting anyway, so we'll eat what's in there and just buy bread, milk and fruit and veg, plus I have a couple of vouchers I can use too.
Day Zero Project - 13% complete
OU student - completed U116, DD101 and U216. Current course TD223.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Callisto For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 419
Triker
Old 14-07-2009, 5:37 PM

Hiya hun, good to see you over here

Here's Gingham Ribbon's excellent vegetarian meal plan includes shopping list

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...rian+meal+plan
DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
It matters not if you try and fail,
And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Triker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 420
elantan
Old 14-07-2009, 5:39 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

thanks triker ...nice to see your still here ....i have been feeling nostalgic for mse the last few days...great to see some lovely peeps are still kicking around
march 2011-july2019 8 years and 4 months ... or 100 months and counting (currently 34/100)
100 week heath challenge may20th 2013- April 20th 2015
"what would you do if you knew you couldn't fail.... enjoy the adventure" " to my own self be true"
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to elantan For This Useful Post: Show me >>