Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Freebies (no spend required) > Canned Food Recipe and Healthy Eating Downloads (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Canned Food Recipe and Healthy Eating Downloads
Views: 24,272
# 1
WOW Factor 0
MSE Andrea
Old 02-04-2009, 4:38 PM
Forum Editorial Liaison
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Canned Food Recipe and Healthy Eating Downloads

Go to the Canned Food website.

Information includes recipe and "fact" cards and you can either download a Pdf or send off to receive a version by post.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Follow the Forum on Twitter and Pinterest
Join the MSE Forum
New forum user? Watch our New to the Forum? Youtube guide
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Last edited by MSE Deborah; 07-04-2009 at 7:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to MSE Andrea For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
cabunny
Old 03-04-2009, 4:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thumbs up useful recipes

brilliant! I was just wondering what to do with the tin of sardines that has been lurking in my cupboard for ages - and hey presto, the recipe of the month on the canned food website is Sardine Bruschetta

lots of other useful recipes too for quick meals, thanks OP
# 3
becdoh
Old 08-04-2009, 6:25 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thumbs up

Thank you very much - I not only had sardines but also a tin of green lentils, mixed bean salad, canellini beans and condensed soup (which I must of bought for a recipe but cant't remember now) and I have found a recipe for all!
# 4
Titch28
Old 08-04-2009, 9:04 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hey its great Thanks very much
# 5
YorkshireTerrier
Old 08-04-2009, 12:52 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Some interesting recipes on there thanks. Handy that they list the nutritional info on each recipe but don't add salt though which is worrying - something to be aware of when buying, no more than 6g per day for Adults and less for children see the food standards agency website for more info.

Last edited by YorkshireTerrier; 08-04-2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: spelling error
# 6
missysx
Old 06-09-2009, 10:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

haven't been on MSE for a while, so only just seen this. thanks for the link
Missysx
Mother of 3 and former freelance motorsport photographer
Avon:
C12 80 C13 179 C14 271 C15 471 C16 361 C17 306
# 7
MrsMoo2U
Old 02-12-2009, 10:07 PM

A question. I recently moved in with my OH. He has been living in between his own home and his Mum and Dads for some time and so he didnt spend a lot of time here. I moved in and discovered a whole cupboard full of tins. All of which are "out of date". Now I know that best before dates etc can be pushed but can anyone tell me what the score is on the dates on tinned food. There are lots of really nice things there like curry sauces, rice puddings, fruit, etc. I would feel really bad just dumping them into the compost.
# 8
Confuzzled
Old 06-12-2009, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherisong View Post
A question. I recently moved in with my OH. He has been living in between his own home and his Mum and Dads for some time and so he didnt spend a lot of time here. I moved in and discovered a whole cupboard full of tins. All of which are "out of date". Now I know that best before dates etc can be pushed but can anyone tell me what the score is on the dates on tinned food. There are lots of really nice things there like curry sauces, rice puddings, fruit, etc. I would feel really bad just dumping them into the compost.

most tinned food can be used several years out of date. if the cans are rusty or bulging throw them out, if they aren't then open them and if they smell fine you can do a tiny taste test, if that's ok you're probably fine. more often than not what will happen after it's best before date is that it might not taste quite as fresh though i've often eaten things past their date and they taste the same as 'in date' things.

it's USE before dates that you need to be concerned with, best before dates are there as a basic guideline so they dont' sit in the shop for years on end and to cover the manufacturers backside if some shop were to keep them for some ridiculous length of time then try to sell them.
# 9
MrsMoo2U
Old 06-12-2009, 8:30 PM

Thanks Confuuzzied (love the name). I am ok with fresh produce. I use mostly fresh stuff myself and always "push" the use by date. i smell, taste, cook, and then if Im still not sure about the taste dump! I was just needing some reassurance that a tin of beans with a 2008 date would be ok to open. My OH is paranoid about stuff but I have him coming around to my way of thinking. I just hate waste.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsMoo2U For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Confuzzled
Old 07-12-2009, 3:28 PM

thanks for the compliment *takes a bow*

yes i agree, i too push on use by dates but i only really try to 'educate' the willing on that front, otherwise they tend not to listen to anything you have to say about anything at all once there's one 'ewww' thing to cling on too... least that's been my experiences with the selectively squeamish crowd!

i once had a doctor start to give me some meds than he asked me to wait a moment (at the time it was during a gallbladder attack and i really didn't want to wait but i humoured him anyway ) he went back to check the date on the medicine he was about to inject me with, made a small swear under his breath, apologised again and then had to go in another room to get me some newer meds

he couldn't apologise enough and then commented on how he realises that some medications like heart meds and insulin really need a use by date but things like pain relievers and muscle relaxants (which is what they give you for a gallbladder attack) don't break down into anything harmful when old and should have longer use by dates on them. he was tired of so much waste in that front as he put it ' whilst we don't want you to be in pain, if this isn't effective enough i can give you more rather than throwing it all down the drain just because it's a day out of date'

i quite agree with him that common sense needs to prevail in many areas about use by and best before dates but in a more and more litigious world where we've become even more 'squeamish' about things (and that really is a luxury regardless of what people claim) i fear there is much less common sense about these days...

ok off my soapbox and i hope you enjoy the canned goods!
# 11
MrsMoo2U
Old 08-12-2009, 11:29 AM

Ha, love people who have a soapbox. It means that they are passionate about life and we need more of that these days.
I have now done a full inventory of things in the cupboard and I can (if they are ok when I open them) have some lovely puddings and curries over the next few weeks. I am heading over to the canned food recipes now.
Some days there aren't any trumpets, just lots of dragons. Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, I will try again tomorrow -- Mary Anne Radmacher
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsMoo2U For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
PurpleAngel
Old 15-01-2010, 8:31 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Helpful!! Thank U
# 13
honeybear68
Old 12-01-2011, 4:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

helpfull great site thanks
# 14
hummingbird
Old 15-07-2011, 5:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hooray! This is just what I needed!! I am living without a fridge/freezer at the moment.

Thanks!!
30 a day extra in Nov234/900 CC 57/1500
Sealed Pot#133 x2 from Sue GRAND TOTAL:403.89[/B]
PAD started 20/08/14 total 181.60
Christmas Party fund: 57.29