Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Is Mazda 6 any good? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Is Mazda 6 any good?
Closed Thread
Views: 13,672
# 1
Thomas99
Old 07-10-2008, 8:45 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Is Mazda 6 any good?

Thinking of buying one 2007 (2.0L), had a Toyota Avensis (1.8) before...whats the noise like at 70mph and servicing costs compared to Toyota?
Thanks
Founder member MSE Jet Airways Mile High Club
Member #1
# 2
Thomas99
Old 07-10-2008, 10:02 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Got no money now, stolen by icesave
Member #1
# 3
AdrianHi
Old 08-10-2008, 5:09 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

In probably 2 to 3 months time when you've got your icesave money back through the UK FCSC (I assume you've seen the news, you must be releived!)...
The Mazda 6.
Cannot compare prices with the Toyota, but the Mazda 6 is a great car to drive, pretty much best in class. Assuming you are talking about petrol, at 70mph there is a nice sporty rasp often present at other times, not too intrusive, but sometimes mistaken by car journalists as being unrefined on the motorway. Take one for a test drive down a winding A road and then onto the motorway at 70mph and judge it for yourself. The 2007 model is improved for refinement over the 2003 '53 plate 2.0 petrol my wife has had from new (we liked it enough to actually buy a brand new one ).
Servicing costs are best descrived as average for a Ford Mondeo / Vauxhall Vectra class car. Not exact figures in my head, but minor services / oil changes around the 120 mark with major services around the 300 mark. No nasty bills for cam belts at 50K+ miles or anything. Be warned that the circa 72K mile / 6-7 year service (forget exact timing) on a diesel is an incredible 750-800
The Following User Says Thank You to AdrianHi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
ozvaldinho
Old 08-10-2008, 10:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hope you do get your money back!

As to Mazda 6...beware! The diesels have a reputation for frail clutches. Often, they need a new dual-mass flywheel at the same time. The cost at a main dealer for this can be 1600-1800.
Also, check for full Mazda service history, as there have been lots of recalls, for bubbling alloy wheels, rusting wheel arches and cracked intercoolers, oil pipes etc.
The clutch on my 55 2.0 diesel went at 67k miles. I'm very gentle on my cars and have had cars do 300k+ miles on the original clutches before. This one went with no warning on the motorway with the cruise control on. Typically, it was just a couple of months out of warranty and Mazda didn't want to know.

That apart, it's a great car and like AdrianHi says, they're great on twisty A roads.
Seduction is the art of genital persuasion.
The Following User Says Thank You to ozvaldinho For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
AdrianHi
Old 08-10-2008, 10:33 PM

The early pre-facelift diesel Mazda 6's did have reliability problems (later ones much better), were not that economical and a lot more expensive to buy new. In the used market the used car buyer is paying too much for the diesels, they are not worth it and even worse value than when new, too many buyers just assume diesel means lower cost of ownership. Those older ones are likely getting near that big servicing bill too.

We have had, power steering fluid pipes replaced under recall / warranty, boot struts replaced and an electric motor for the drivers window or central locking forget which. No other problems with wheels or rust etc.

The 6 is so good to drive it's nearly on par with a BMW 3 series and of course better value for money.

Last edited by AdrianHi; 08-10-2008 at 10:36 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to AdrianHi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Thomas99
Old 11-10-2008, 8:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks for the replies. I have asked my father to help with some money, as i deperately need a car for work...long story, someone did a write-off on my old car. Icesave money is going to take months to come through (told on savings board).

I was worried about servicing costs for Mazda, never owned one before..only Ford & Toyota. Off to Motorpoint in the morning, they have two petrol 6's.
Member #1
# 7
jeannieblue
Old 11-10-2008, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozvaldinho View Post

As to Mazda 6...beware! The diesels have a reputation for frail clutches. Often, they need a new dual-mass flywheel at the same time. The cost at a main dealer for this can be 1600-1800.
Also, check for full Mazda service history, as there have been lots of recalls, for bubbling alloy wheels, rusting wheel arches and cracked intercoolers, oil pipes etc.
The clutch on my 55 2.0 diesel went at 67k miles. I'm very gentle on my cars and have had cars do 300k+ miles on the original clutches before. This one went with no warning on the motorway with the cruise control on. Typically, it was just a couple of months out of warranty and Mazda didn't want to know.

That apart, it's a great car and like AdrianHi says, they're great on twisty A roads.
Thought the Avensis had dual mass flywheel too......
Genie
Master Technician
# 8
jeannieblue
Old 11-10-2008, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas99 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I have asked my father to help with some money, as i deperately need a car for work...long story, someone did a write-off on my old car. Icesave money is going to take months to come through (told on savings board).

I was worried about servicing costs for Mazda, never owned one before..only Ford & Toyota. Off to Motorpoint in the morning, they have two petrol 6's.
If you've got a good garage, then the costs of any of the above shouldn't vary that much. Jap can be a tad dearer than Ford, but if your garage doesn't mind phoning around for the best prices for parts etc., then you probably wouldn't notice any difference.

Good luck!
Genie
Master Technician
# 9
Thomas99
Old 11-10-2008, 10:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannieblue View Post
Thought the Avensis had dual mass flywheel too......
My old Toyota used to make a funny spinning noice when moving off in first gear, garage said it would be expensive to fix, just lived with it in the end (lack of funds)
Member #1
# 10
jeannieblue
Old 11-10-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
My old Toyota used to make a funny spinning noice when moving off in first gear, garage said it would be expensive to fix, just lived with it in the end (lack of funds)
The Mazda 6 is a nice looking car.... thats a 'girlie' point of view too!

We've had quite a few cabs in lately and had to change the clutch assy and flywheels too - all Avensis' - but can't comment on the Mazda's as we don't do as many, and can't recall a clutch jobbie either, as yet..
Genie
Master Technician
The Following User Says Thank You to jeannieblue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Thomas99
Old 11-10-2008, 10:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
The Mazda 6 is a nice looking car.... thats a 'girlie' point of view too!
I thought the back lights looked a little "big", looks like they are making them smaller on the *new* model...looking on the internet...don't know now if i want to buy an "old looking" model now
Member #1
# 12
jeannieblue
Old 11-10-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
I thought the back lights looked a little "big", looks like they are making them smaller on the *new* model...looking on the internet...don't know now if i want to buy an "old looking" model now
Thats me out then..........
Genie
Master Technician
# 13
Thomas99
Old 11-10-2008, 11:36 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Thats me out then..........
No, you are beautiful, what ever model (or year) you are
Member #1
# 14
Hodgehappy
Old 12-10-2008, 12:51 AM
MoneySaving Convert

honestjohn check the website out, they give you reviews on cars...its a brilliant site.
# 15
goldspanners
Old 12-10-2008, 1:45 AM

Quote:
No, you are beautiful, what ever model (or year) you are
thomas,are you trying to cut my grass?:confused:
...work permit granted!
# 16
harveybobbles
Old 12-10-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozvaldinho View Post

DMF's fail on most cars cos they are a crap design!

Most Jappy cars suffer poor alloys and most will have them refinished FOC in the car in under warranty. Honda are very good at this on the Accord!

Anyway, back to the question - Is the 6 good? Well yes, it's Jappy, so it wont breakdown.

However from the number of people I know that have had them - they all said the same - The seats are VERY uncomfy and give you back trouble! I tried one once and I agree!

Very bland car to be honest, but does the job.

Have a look at the Honda Accord - brilliant car. late '05 Exec models seems to get Nav and PDC as standard over what is already a good spec level...!

Find a 2.4 - sweet engine coupled to a 6 speed box! Xenon lights and two big fat tail pipes!
# 17
AdrianHi
Old 13-10-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveybobbles View Post
Very bland car to be honest, but does the job.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that I suppose, but it's the first time I've ever heard anyone refer to the Mazda 6 as bland.
For year my wifes car has attracted compliments from women and men a like. Most owners love them for the looks and character (nice sporty raspy exhaust note).
The Honda Accord is a class act but not as involving to drive as the 6.

There are quite a few existing Mazda 6 owners who like the looks of the older model better than the new. I like both and think that the "Lexus" style rear light clusters are out of fashion now so is best they are not continued onto the new model.
# 18
jcp
Old 20-10-2008, 7:54 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have a Mazda6 on contract hire so no repair or maintenance problems to pay for, not that Ive had any so far. Its a great car but if you are worried about paying out for repairs on a second hand car I would contract hire it - i went to www.carcontracthireonline.co.uk for mine I pay 250 a month so not too bad depends on your budget but great for peace of mind.
Closed Thread