Need urgent help, where do we stand?

I booked a holiday to Mexico a few months ago. The trip is on 10th-24th October flying from Gatwick to Cancun and staying in the Sandos Caracol Eco Resort. Hotel looks amazing and we were very much looking forward to it. We received a letter when we got back from a weekend away, on the 11th of August - but the letter was dated July 29th. The letter is from Thomas Cook letting us know that there will be construction in our hotel - they are building a new beach front restaurant, and upgrading ocean front rooms. The main pool and one restaurant are shut, and we are all allowed to use the Select Club pool (I bet the Select Club people will be pleased - not!). I typed out a question for the hotel on their facebook page (they have replied to ALL other comments) asking if the noise will be very bad and I guess they didn't feel they could lie so instead they have deleted my comment! This was the icing on the cake and we now want to move hotels. So I found a comparable hotel (the only other one we REALLY want to switch to) which is also a Sandos hotel - the Sandos Playacar hotel. I spent ages researching which one would be best for us and this seems to be it. But when I called Thomas Cook, they said we would be due £650 extra to change our booking to this hotel - which we can't afford. They also say we have only 21 days from the date of the letter (which arrived much later than it was dated anyway) to change the booking - hence it must be done by tomorrow at 8pm. The letter says nothing about doing this within 21 days of the letter.

I asked about cancellation and was told that they would keep FIFTY percent of the cost of the holiday because it is within 59 days of the holiday start date. At this point I became very upset and the lady was very nice but just said she had to follow the rules and that they were entitled to do it as it's in their T&C. It's on their website but not in any paperwork we received.

The CURRENT difference in cost between the two hotels is only £160 and I would feel happy to pay that but they're saying it's £650 or no change to the booking. They won't budge on it. I feel we're being penalised for the raise in holiday costs. Also the issue of the letter and dates. Do I have any kind of case, is it worth my calling ABTA? Can you actually call ABTA? I would need to work out what I am doing by 8pm tomorrow.

My husband feels we should just stick with original hotel but he knows it might be spoilt by drilling noises. There is one other hotel called the Gran Bahia Principe which looks fine enough, but our hearts are with one of the Sandos hotels ideally. None of this seems at all fair. Where do we stand?

Comments

• Update, I did email the hotel again today asking how bad the noise is and whether my 2 year old can attend their kids club (as suggested by their site). I've had a prompt reply from the manager telling me that yes my little boy can go to kids club and that the noise is located away from rooms and no complaints so far. This sounds promising and have emailed back asking him to explain the noise levels by day by pool/beach and also whether my 2 year old needs to be accompanied by us at the kids club or not (this might just swing it as we get v. little child free time at home). But if we DO want to change - where do we stand?
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,164 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I can't help with your question but I've been to Sandos Caracol in 2006 and it was fabulous. After we booked Hurricane Wilma hit that part of the coast so damage was done that needed fixing and work on an accomodation block was delayed. We were warned there was building work going on, but it wasn't intrusive when we were there as it was mainly finishing off work. We'd see people walking around painting buildings, planting gardens, carrying furniture into the new rooms, and things like the shop started off as two sets of shelving in the middle with essentials, and gradually spread out over our holiday as they added more fixtures and brought more stock out. None of it ruined our holiday as none of it was intrusive.

There was a choice of four pools when we were there. The main pool was noisy with music going and pool games. There were two quieter pools one with a bar each - one had a swim up bar and one had a snack bar. Then there was a very quiet pool with no facilities and just a help yourself drinks dispenser for soft drinks and beer. Our boys went in the kids club and we went there for a rest!

The beach front restaurant is to one end of the beach and sort of stuck out on it's own. I don't think that would bother you unless you sat on that end of the beach.

The kids club was brilliant and my boys really enjoyed it. The food was fabulous and still have happy memories of the beach front snack bar for lunch, and the beautiful Mexican food in the main restaurant on an evening. The hotel is built around natural cenotes (lakes) and we spotted loads of wildlife. My boys loved spotting turtles as we walked over the bridge into the main restaurant. Even if there is work going on, I'm sure you will have a lovely time.

Essential tip: take loads of very strong DEET as due to the natural lakes, the place is full of mosquitoes and you must use protection or you'll get bitten badly.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • jillie1974
    jillie1974 Posts: 6,997 Forumite
    building work is graded from 1-3 depending on the severity and feedback from customers and staff in resort.

if the building work would significanly impact on your holiday you would have been offered an alternative. ie diggers on site, excessive noise and visible from all areas of the hotel.
    what the manager has replied with is promising. i'd print that out and take it with you. if the work is then more severe when you get there you have a good case for being moved. chances are that over the summer a lot of the work has been completed and its the final stages.
    'Children are not things to be moulded, but are people to be unfolded'
  • stephb34
    stephb34 Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think you are entitled to all your money back if you arent happy with staying there and not happy with any alternative they have offered you if they've offered you one, but they obviously dont want you to cancel thats why they're not making that clear to you. But if you tell them you want to cancel but will rebook the Sandos Playacar that is £160 difference immediately then they should let you do that, just check before you cancel that the Sandos Playacar is still available at the price you were willing to pay. Make sure you are dealing with the manager as she should know all your rights. Don't be fobbed off, but be pleasant (even if your seething inside) you get more help if your nice than nasty, if your aggresive it gets everyones defences up good luck.
  • Ok folks, thanks for the replies, really helpful.

Becles, I'm still waiting for him to confirm that the 2-3 baby club actually let you leave the littlies there for a bit as that would be a godsend for us. Also I've asked about daytime noise but I've not had such a rapid response to this - hopefully will get one today. But I'm erring on the side of sticking with the original booking now - partly due to the wildlife there. Instead of paying for an upgrade I might just invest in a telephoto lens instead to get pictures of all these little beasties :-)

jillie, that is very reassuring, thank you.

steph, they said yesterday that I can only have the new hotel if I pay £650 extra and that it has to be done today - so they are not budging whatsoever. I was told a manager would tell me the same thing. So I'm not sure they would take me seriously at all....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure