PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

mulled wine recipe?

Options
How can I get the most delicious mulled wine without adding any other alcohol other than red wine?

I plan to put in a sachet of mulled spices that I already have

With peelings of Oranges and Lemon and a cinnamon stick broken in half.

Is there anything else I should add?

Thanks

Comments

• dronid
    dronid Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Probably some sugar. It'll be quite tart without it. You're normaly supposed to put in some Brandy but water or a little juice should be able to stand in for that. Just remember not to boil it - it'll need a simmer. If you have the sachet of spice mix the box should have instructions on it.

Enjoy! :D

I could make it better myself at home. All I need is a small aubergine...

I moved to Liverpool for a better life.
    And goodness, it's turned out to be better and busier!
  • Whistling_Gypsy
    Options
    I saw this thread and got a bit ahead of myself - but Dronid has it covered:T . Nowt else to say......................go for it!
    "...I, being poor, have only my dreams;
    I have spread my dreams under your feet;
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
    WB Yeats.
  • dlb
    dlb Posts: 2,488 Forumite
    Options
    If you have a old slow cooker, make it in that, i kept my old one when i got a bigger family sized one, and i use it ever xmas for mulled wine.
    Proud to be DEBT FREE AT LAST
  • scuzz
    scuzz Posts: 1,995 Forumite
    Options
    Try using cider instead of red wine - yum!!!
    Comping, Clicking & Saving for Change
  • lisa26_2
    lisa26_2 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe for mulled wine? OH and I are planning our own little xmas party for xmas eve night as we're having our xmas day with our own parents. I'd like to make some mulled wine in the slow cooker to help with the festive spirit!!
  • Merrywidow
    Options
    Dear Lisa26 - My tried and tested recipe is to buy a couple of bottles of Mulled Wine in Tesco. Most other s.markets do them at this time of the year. They are cheaper than a regular bottle of wine. I have a recipe or two in my cookbooks and will get back to you tomorrow, I have a full night planned staring at the box, Strictly, X factor and so on. But trust me, the Tesco stuff is good.
    member # 12 of Skaters Club
    Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
    You don't stop laughing because you grow old,
    You grow old because you stop laughing
    :D
  • Pitlanepiglet
    Options
    No, make your own! Cheap red wine x 2 bottles, add a carton of orange juice, some cinnamon sticks (you can reuse these) and either some loose cloves or spike some cloves into a bit of orange peel and enough sugar to taste. Heat it gently and serve. Lovely!
    Piglet

Decluttering - 127/366

Digital/emails/photo decluttering - 5432/2024
  • arkonite_babe
    Options
    Yes! Did it in my rice/slow cooker too!

http://arkonitebento.net/2009/12/11/a-new-use-for-my-rice-cooker/

As the wine sits, add a little hot water, it dilutes it slightly and makes it taste better.

Enjoy & happy holidays xx
  • MessyTessie
    Options
    If you want a change, try mulled cider, it's really lovely and went down very well at the schools fireworks evening (I made 6 litres) make the same as wine and it doesn't matter if you use the cheap cider as no one can tell the difference with the spices added.
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    this is mine
    half pint of water, 2inch cinnamon stick, 4oz sugar, 4cloves, lemon, orange. Bring to the boil, turn off and leave for 10 mins, add bottle of red wine, heat but do not boil. Strain, then add slices of orange to float, drink and enjoy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport