PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

turkey soup??

Options
I've seen the thread on leftover turkey and had a look through that, but what I'd really like to know is how do I turn my boiled, cooked turkey carcass (which is now a lovely jelly-like liquid) into tasty turkey soup?

I've got loads of turkey left but what can I put into the liquid to make it thicker and tastier? Do you put veg in it as well as the turkey and is there something important I should put into it to make it taste nice, as the jelly looks a bit pale and un-interesting. All help gratefully received as this will be my first attempt to make home made soup.

thankyou in advance

Comments

• justpeyton4now
    Options
    I usually add chopped onion, celery and carrots to the stock along with some of the meat. Some herb de provence and perhaps a bit of rosemary tossed in. I like a broth type base to soup but if you want to add a bit more substance to it, you can add a bit of rice or small pasta to it.

You can also freeze small containers of the broth to use for future soups, gravies and the like.

HTH
    Take the first step.
    Even if you cannot see the whole staircase,
    Just take the first step.
    ~MLK, Jr~
  • hotcookie101
    Options
    I second broth! Its my favourite thing to do with chicken leftovers, turkey, or now-trying it with the goose stock I made overnight in the SC (with half the carcass-the other half was boiled on the hob, and got about 4l stock over all!)
    I sweat leeks, carrots celery and onion (actually now I steam/sweat them with no oil) then add stock(if REALLY jelly like I usually mix with water, and freeze half), pearl barley or soup mix (barley today :D) and simmer until cooked. Is VERY filling and very warming, complete comfort food!
    Its my memory of Boxing day at home, my mum always made broth (in NI you could buy soup veg-which were all ready prepped and came with a small tub of soup mix, soup celery is a special thing which I cannot seem to get anywhere else :( "soup veg soup" was even featured on Rick Stein's food heroes!)
    I LOVE it, sometimes add bits of meat to it, sometimes don't, my OH prefers it with it in, so tend to add it now, but never used to.
    yum yum yum
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You'll need seasoning as well, but that is dependent on what you put in when making your stock. Traditionally when you make stock there should be no salt, as you will season according to what the stock is used for. I usually add some more pepper (ground in, peppercorns having been used in the making of the stock) and plenty of salt, but this will vary according to the taste of your family. If you put pulses in it seems to need more salt as well.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi BrokeBrunette,

I make turkey broth in the same way as I make chicken broth:

Strip all the meat from the carcass.
    Put the bones into a roasting tin and brown in a hot oven or under the grill (this really adds to the flavour)
    Put the browned bones in a pan and cover with water and bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for at least four hours.
    Strain the stock then add soup mix or make your own mix of barley, split peas and lentils. Sometimes I add a couple of stock cubes for extra flavour at this stage but it's not usually necessary with turkey stock which is stronger than chicken.
    Simmer until the pulses are soft then add black pepper, chopped carrots, leeks, celery and parsley.
    Once all the veg are cooked serve with warm crusty bread. Pics of how I make it here

Pink
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Woah Pink-winged that looks so delicious! And your own bread too! Thanks so much for posting that! :T
  • LegalBlonde
    Options
    Sorry if this recipe is in another thread somewhere. And I thought OS was a more appropriate place than Christmas moneysaving.

Long long before I discovered this website (before it existed) and I started on chicken carcuss soup, my old Granny would always make Turkey soup the day after boxing day, I would really like to do this, does anyone have any recipes??? Thanks in advance:T
    Debt Free Wannabe by 1 January 2016 :o

Jan 2015 GC £520/£450
    Feb £139/£450
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    In principle there's no difference making turkey soup from chicken soup ;) Try this thread for more ideas :D

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • LegalBlonde
    Options
    Thanks Penny that's great - 3 posts down was a link to Delia's Turkey Soup :D

Wish me luck x

Jan 2015 GC £520/£450
    Feb £139/£450
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi LegalBlonde,

I agree with Penny, there is no difference between making turkey soup and chicken soup. There is a difference in the taste though as turkey stock is normally stronger than chicken stock. I think turkey broth is the best soup of the year! :D

As this thread has fallen down the Old Style board I've added it to the existing turkey soup thread to keep the replies together.

Pink
  • LegalBlonde
    LegalBlonde Posts: 1,183 Forumite
    Options
    I second broth! Its my favourite thing to do with chicken leftovers, turkey, or now-trying it with the goose stock I made overnight in the SC (with half the carcass-the other half was boiled on the hob, and got about 4l stock over all!)
    I sweat leeks, carrots celery and onion (actually now I steam/sweat them with no oil) then add stock(if REALLY jelly like I usually mix with water, and freeze half), pearl barley or soup mix (barley today :D) and simmer until cooked. Is VERY filling and very warming, complete comfort food!
    Its my memory of Boxing day at home, my mum always made broth (in NI you could buy soup veg-which were all ready prepped and came with a small tub of soup mix, soup celery is a special thing which I cannot seem to get anywhere else :( "soup veg soup" was even featured on Rick Stein's food heroes!)
    I LOVE it, sometimes add bits of meat to it, sometimes don't, my OH prefers it with it in, so tend to add it now, but never used to.
    yum yum yum

I am so glad you mentioned this!! I have spent 7 years in England confused as to why my soup never tastes like my mum's!! And anytime I mention it she is like what's the problem just go to a butcher and get a soup bone and soup veg. I really want some soup veg now :(

Jan 2015 GC £520/£450
    Feb £139/£450
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business