PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Living alone for the first time, tips needed!

Options
Hi everyone,

I'll be living on my own for the first time ever in a matter of weeks and am very conscious of money and making it last etc!!

Any tips that you could give in terms of shopping, money saving would be EXTREMELY grateful :D

My mind is a whirl with all that is to come!!

Thank you

Comments

• fairtrade
    fairtrade Posts: 476 Forumite
    Options
    Get yourself a page-a-day diary and write everything down.
    Until you put things in black & white, you do not release how much you are spending.
    Look out for all the offers in the supermarkets, the grabbit while you can board is good at giving all the offers.
    Before you go shopping make a list and stick to it and don't shop when you are hungry because you will always be tempted to buy something to fill the gap.
    For myself I am an optimist - there does not seem to be much use being anything else.
    Sir Winston Churchill
  • Jariya
    Jariya Posts: 142 Forumite
    Options
    Possibly things you have already thought of..

Don't forget to apply for the single person's allowance for council tax as they will automatically put you on charges based on two people living there.
    They also send you a letter to ask whether this is still the case and you are still living alone which needs a response or they up your bill based on two people.

Something I posted on another thread today - and bearing in mind I was no cook ten years ago - I bought a slow cooker and if there is a product I like (say a sauce or ready meal) I buy one it it and keep the packaging, use the ingredients list on the packet as a recipe to make it myself. Cheaper cuts of meat can be used and once you have invested in the spices you're away. My freezer is stuffed full of lovely food for a fraction of the price. There is an element of trial and error to get the measures of herbs and spices right - but I haven't yet had any total disasters! :0)
  • MatyMoo
    MatyMoo Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't buy things just because they are on offer. Only buy them if you would anyway, you will use them before they go off & you have the storage space for them.

My sister and I both live alone and when we shop together we make use of BOGOF offers. Do you have a friend or family member you can do that with?

I second batch cooking/freezing things. It saves you money, especially if you can buy things in season or when on offer.

I had a friend in need so I spent Friday night shopping, and saturday cooking. Spent £50 and managed to fill his freezer with enough food for over 2 months. He only had to add rice/pasta or potatoes and fresh veg if he wanted too.

Try to eat vegetarian a couple of days a week - pasta and sauce, baked potato and cheese/beans. It makes a real difference to your shopping costs.

Meal planning also helps you to stick to a shopping list.
    :j Proud Member of Mike's Mob :j
  • GeorgieFTB
    GeorgieFTB Posts: 437 Forumite
    Options
    OK

One of the first things is enjoy the peace and quiet! Think about what you actually really need, a sofa is nice but not nessesary... the diary is a good idea, start planning what you want in your home, you might not be able to get it all any time soon but its always nice to plan... yeah I'm a little bit OCD about to do lists...

Just remember you don't need to worry about eating odds and sods so if a meal plan doesn't work out just eat some weird combinations!

Gx
    Mortgage at 08/10/10: 110k:eek:
    Current Mortgage:... £109,200 :eek:
    OPs 2011: 100.50/4000
    Current MFD: 02/10/45 :shocked: (will be 63!!!)

Make a payment a week challenge TW 100/123.79
  • FrugleRock
    FrugleRock Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you, all great tips :-)

Anyone else?

x
  • Jariya
    Jariya Posts: 142 Forumite
    Options
    GeorgieFTB wrote: »
    Just remember you don't need to worry about eating odds and sods so if a meal plan doesn't work out just eat some weird combinations!
    Gx

That made me laugh - but very true!

I hate making mashed potato so make enough for at least two meals but um, I didn't have enough value (I always get value - less salty - much nicer) tortillas the other night so I had mash with my beef chilli as well as tortillas!

*cough* I am going to have to have that again as it was yummy! :)
    Wrong! (I know that!) :rotfl: (but still yummy!)
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    FrugleRock wrote: »
    Thank you, all great tips :-)

Anyone else?

x

When you get settled.
    Invite us all to your house warming.
    I'll bring a bottle you just bake the cakes.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Jules__2-2
    Jules__2-2 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Check/change energy providers and tariffs ASAP. When I last moved I literally halved the gas and electricity costs from the first month doing this (think £90 down to £45) - the house must have been left on the most expensive tariff possible! :eek:
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 July 2011 at 8:59PM
    Options
    Hi FrugleRock,

I think with the way prices are rising at the moment that it isn't going to be easy, but I'm sure that you will manage. :)

For lots of tips and ideas on cutting back your grocery bill have a look at Martin's article on Supermarket Shopping and we also have a board where grocery offers are posted regularly: Food Shopping & Groceries Also the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers board has vouchers and codes that should help with online shopping.

Meal planning is a good way of managing your grocery spending. It takes a bit of getting used to but once you do it's a great way to save money by making sure you don't buy unnecessary things. Perhaps try it for one week to see how you get on by making a list of what you have at home and trying to build your meals around that. To get some help with mealplanning have a look in The Complete Menu Plans Collection.

For cheaper meal ideas have a look here: Cheap recipe threads

It might be worth joining in with this thread. July 2011 Grocery Challenge You can set a reduced amount that you feel comfortable with and if you manage that then try to reduce it a little the following month. In that thread, everyone sets themselves a personal grocery budget and try to encourage and support each other throughout the month to stick to their own budget. What you include in your budget is entirely up to you. I'll add your thread to that one later.

This thread may also help: Single Money Saver living on my own

I'm sorry to have bombarded you with so many links but if you take the time to read through them it should help you to save some money. Good luck with moving into your first home. :)

Pink
  • SpikyHedgehog
    SpikyHedgehog Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't know what furniture you've got, but try not to buy any furniture without thinking about it & looking around - try freegle or freecycle, whatever it is called in your area. Just had a glance at mine and the latest offers include plates & bowls, garden chairs, cd rack, xmas decorations...
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport