PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Hm Ham Glaze

Options
Have a lovely piece of Ham soaking at the mo. Normally do a marmalade glaze but fancied a change. I looked at the ham glaze to buy but at 3 euro 65 thought Im sure I can make my own. Their ingredients were honey, soy sauce and apple plus all the usual added u know what. Does anyone have a recipe they like and may like to share, Thanks folks
Visa £[STRIKE]5063 [/STRIKE]now 0. Loan 1 €[STRIKE]4885[/STRIKE] now 0. Loan 2 €29,590 now €0 as of 22/02/2016 Mgage €55000/ €23,639 at 01/02/18
Proud to be dealing with my debts - DFW Nerd 1209 Keep on keeping on folks DFD FEB 2016 MGE FREE 2024 (hopefully earlier)

Comments

• nesssie1702
    nesssie1702 Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    When I'm glazing a ham, I usually score it and stud it with cloves and then drizzle some runny honey over it before putting it into the oven to roast.

HTH
  • morwenna
    morwenna Posts: 844 Forumite
    Options
    I coat the fat in English Mustard and pat dark brown sugar over before roasting - a surgical glove moment in this house! This is also nice on gammon steaks IHTH
  • gremlin
    gremlin Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I do a mix of most of the ingredients mentioned before.

english mustard, brown sugar and honey all mixed together and spread over the ham.

Jane x
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye" - Miss Piggy
  • fletch3163
    Options
    I've got a ham for Boxing Day and I'm going to do the Nigella thing with cola. Only problem is she says to stud with cloves afterwards for the glaze in the oven BUT I came over all miserly in Asda today and refused to pay over £2 for a wee jar of cloves. Will the ham suffer?
    Grocery Challenge M: £450/£425.08 A: £400/£:eek:.May -£400/£361 June £380/£230 (pages 18 & 27 explain)
  • turfy6
    turfy6 Posts: 1,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks peeps think I will go with the honey and brown sugar, I know what you mean about coming over all miserly Im getting worse now than ever, I get home and wonder why on earth didnt I just buy something even if it is a treat!! Go a bit overboard sometimes :rotfl:
    Visa £[STRIKE]5063 [/STRIKE]now 0. Loan 1 €[STRIKE]4885[/STRIKE] now 0. Loan 2 €29,590 now €0 as of 22/02/2016 Mgage €55000/ €23,639 at 01/02/18
    Proud to be dealing with my debts - DFW Nerd 1209 Keep on keeping on folks DFD FEB 2016 MGE FREE 2024 (hopefully earlier)
  • Paulie'sGirl
    Options
    I just use plain muscavado sugar, it gives a lovely "toffee" like glaze.

Don't worry about the cloves, it'll be fine :)

PGxx
  • System
    System Posts: 178,105 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    i put worstershire sauce along with brown sugar and mustard and stud with cloves
  • Burlesque_Babe
    Options
    I'm doing baked ham (it's just boiling at the moment) and was thinking about the glaze for when it goes in the oven.

How about black treacle mixed with the juice of 1 orange? Would this work? :confused:

If not, any suggestions for using black treacle with something? I don't have any honey or mustard in the cupboard, although I do have mustard powder (somewhere hidden away! )
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
  • Wonder_Girl
    Options
    All comments and advice given is my own opinion and does not represent the views or advice of any debt advice organisation.

DFW Nerd #132
  • Burlesque_Babe
    Options
    excellent - I'm going to do the top one as I have mixed spice and also chilli flakes.

Thankyou.
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business