PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Value of Roof Space when purchasing Freehold?

We have been offered the chance to purchase our freehold by the freeholders agent. The property in question is a Victorian terrace conversion divided into 2, two-bedroom flats. Each flat has 950years+ left to run on the lease and pays £15/year ground rent with maintenance split 50:50 on an as and when basis.

I had (perhaps wrongly) assumed that the cost of the freehold would be negligible because of the long lease and peppercorn rent. The valuer appointed by the freeholder has mentioned that he will need to value the roof space. The potential roof space value has never crossed my mind, and at this stage I'm not sure whether to go ahead with the valuation of the freehold (we pay for the valuation firstly, to be reimbursed by the freeholder if the purchase of the freehold goes ahead).

Does anyone have any experience of the potential cost of the freehold once the marriage value of the roof space is taken into account? I'm just after an indication as to whether it will be £100's, £1000's, £10000's. We don't really want to pay for the valuation if it then turns out that the value of the freehold is more than we can pay, especially as we own the ground floor flat so any uplift in value will not even effect our flat!

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    So it's staying as two flats? Are you getting confused re freehold - you will still have a lease and it will still be leasehold. I expect they are proposing each flat has a share in a company that owns the freehold (often referred to as 'share of freehold'). I can't see that it would add any value to a converted Victorian terrace.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,277 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The starting point for the Freeholder would be half the uplift in market value if a conversion was done, for example to convert the top flat to a 3 bed.

They might struggle to realise that in practice so it is a negotiation, but I would think that is where the values will come in. So depends on market where you are.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    cor89 wrote: »
    ....especially as we own the ground floor flat so any uplift in value will not even effect our flat!

That's not really how things would work.

If the upstairs leaseholder wants to convert the roof space, he would have to 'buy' a lease on the roof space from the freeholder.

However, you and he would actually be the joint freeholders (50/50 shares I'd assume)....

So, effectively, he would pay himself 50% of the price, and pay you the other 50% of the price.

(But that might mean lots of arguments/negotiations with your neighbour about what the price of the roof space should be.)
  • The potential uplift in value will depend on a few things. We are going through the same process, and our valuer looked into
    - whether others in stree have converted that space
    - if so, how much more are their properties worth
    - (assumption if so that planning permission would be ok, but if not then maybe unlikely to get planning anyway)
    - what would the costs be

In our case they decided that potential uplift was negligible because a ceiling would need to be lowered and the whole thing would be so prohibitively expensive for very limited extra value, and alternatively building out beyond current roof line wouldn't pass planning.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure