Commercial Energy Rip Off!

Options
laprd
laprd Posts: 3 Newbie
Hi

I really need some help with this! I will try to explain as best as possible!

In January my business moved into new offices.
I received a phone call from an energy broker (I did not know this at the time!) They sold me a contract with bizz energy, way overpriced with a huge mark up. It’s costing me double the amount it should with say EDF.

I’m in a contract for 2 years and the bills are massive!

I was miss old this big time, a complete con, although I can only blame myself for being mislead (I can’t believe I fell for this!) and I am now in contract.

I have complained to energy watchdog but there is nothing they can do, they say it is very common.

Does anyone have any experience of how I can get out of this contract, i.e. saying I have left building and then put in staff names or something???

Any help would be great!

Comments

• laprd
    laprd Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    No responses? Is this in the wrong forum or something????
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Welcome to MSE, laprd :)

As a business person, one would presume you are fully aware of what a contract is. As such, before you signed the contract you should have made yourself fully aware of the responsibilities and liabilities you were accepting, and if in doubt, have consulted your legal advisers accordingly.

In the contract it should state the terms you agree to should you wish to terminate the contract.

If the contract you agreed to is their standard terms & conditions, clause 7.8 in conjuction with 7.6 explains how to terminate the contract and the costs involved in so doing.

To be honest, the only other way to end a contract early is if you can take advantage of clause such as that given in 7.5.d - that normally sees a supplier wishing to bring about a rather rapid termination!

Standard terms and conditions here:
    http://www.bizzenergy.com/files/pdf/NHHEverGreen.pdf

If you decide not to terminate now, don't forget to give 60 days notice before Termination date, else you could find yourself tied in for a lot longer! ;)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • toops_2
    Options
    laprd wrote: »
    Hi

I really need some help with this! I will try to explain as best as possible!

In January my business moved into new offices.
    I received a phone call from an energy broker (I did not know this at the time!) They sold me a contract with bizz energy, way overpriced with a huge mark up. It’s costing me double the amount it should with say EDF.

I’m in a contract for 2 years and the bills are massive!

I was miss old this big time, a complete con, although I can only blame myself for being mislead (I can’t believe I fell for this!) and I am now in contract.

I have complained to energy watchdog but there is nothing they can do, they say it is very common.

Does anyone have any experience of how I can get out of this contract, i.e. saying I have left building and then put in staff names or something???

Any help would be great!

I would contact the Electricity Ombudsman. I have just posted my situation on this site, and I found the Energy Watch person very helpful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure