PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheaper substitute for Cod

Options
Hi everyone

I am trying really hard to reduce our food bill. I have about £80 per week for 2 adults and 2 very hungry teenagers - including all lunches, household, toiletries. I know this is very acheivable from learning from here.

I thought that in a month or 2 I can cut it further, but as I used to spend about £130 per week I have decided to take it a step at a time.

One thing I am struggling with is fish. I do buy mackeral and sardines, but what is a good white fish substitute for cod that is not so expensive ? I brought 4 portions yesterday and they cost £10:eek: I did buy them as I was in my budget but cannot afford them again. We usually bake them and sometimes put them in fish pie. Any suggestions please. Paige X

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Paige,

Fish has got a lot more expensive recently. A lot of old stylers recommend value frozen white fish for using in fish pie:

Value Frozen White Fish

I also keep my eye out for fish in the reduced section and freeze it for using when I have enough to make a meal for us all.

Pink

Pink
  • dedicatedmoneysaver
    Options
    Hi Paige,

When I wanted cod recently for a fish pie, I went to Morrisons and the lady at the fish counter recommended pollock instead, it was about 1/3 of the price and tasted great, also instead of smoked haddock she recommended Hoki (sp!) again great! :D

hope this helps xxx
    Comping since 3rd November 2007.
    2 x £50 Faith Vouchers.
    Tray Wrigleys Extra Fusion
    Tray Wrigleys Extra Big One
    2 x Big songs for little people-double cds!
    Cadburys vintage van
    Oli *mystery prize*
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Paige,

When I wanted cod recently for a fish pie, I went to Morrisons and the lady at the fish counter recommended pollock instead, it was about 1/3 of the price and tasted great, also instead of smoked haddock she recommended Hoki (sp!) again great! :D

hope this helps xxx

I think you'll find tha pollack is the main constituent of some Value White Fish that Pink mentions above ;) Hugh F-W is a big fan :T

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • CoD_2
    CoD_2 Posts: 275 Forumite
    Options
    another vote for pollock i've found it in quite a lot of products like fish fingers too. it's very tasty and cheaper than cod which i try to avoid because of over fishing
  • Magpye
    Magpye Posts: 607 Forumite
    Options
    Ooh, hoki is fab, I haven't had it since I was in New Zealand as it's the main fish for fish and chips across there. Pollock is nice too as is ling if you can find it.
    "All cruelty springs from weakness" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca
    Personal pronouns are they/them/their, please.

I'm intolerant of wheat, citrus, grapes, grape products and dried vine fruits, tomato, and beetroot, and I am also somewhat caffeine sensitive.
  • Paige
    Paige Posts: 266 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just been to sainsburys and picked up a value pack of frozen white fish - 6 pieces for £1.27 - tucked right away at the back of the bottom shelf. This will be great for fish pie. Next time I will deff try pollock and Hoki.
    Thanks
  • parsonswife8
    parsonswife8 Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    Options
    Pollack and hoki are fine for a fish pie, even for frying.
    I also like tilapia, which I buy from the fish counter at Tesco. I just fry them in a tiny bit of oil/butter for about 1 minute a side and seasoned with salt, pepper and dill or parsley. They have no bones in them at all and are skinless.
    I have also bought a bag of frozen tilapia from Lidl and used that in a fish opie as well, together with some peas and a few prawns, with a bit of cheese mixed into the white sauce and topped with mash.

;) Felines are my favourite ;)
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Paige wrote: »
    I have just been to sainsburys and picked up a value pack of frozen white fish - 6 pieces for £1.27 - tucked right away at the back of the bottom shelf. This will be great for fish pie. Next time I will deff try pollock and Hoki.
    Thanks

I bougt a pack of these the other day as well - lots in the bag and I couldn't believe the price! Will have to dig through the freezer to see if I have any prawns - it'll be fish pie one day this week if I have!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • troll35
    troll35 Posts: 712 Forumite
    Options
    I often buy coley. It is a little greyer in colour than cod or haddock but in my mind just as tasty and about £2.50 per lb so quite cheap for fish. We grill it, barbecue it, lightly fry it, deep fry it and use it in pasta sauces and fish pie.....very versatile.
    I like to live in cloud cuckoo land :hello:
  • **purpleprincess**
    Options
    Gordon Ramsey likes pollack too, saw it once when he was changing someone's restaurant around. It turned into a chippy and they sold pollack and chips. It is also more sustainable than cod.
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure