PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

help me 'detox' the OS way

Options
right well cutting a long story short, the past month or two has had a lot going on - anniversary, holiday, birthday, funeral to name but a few, and all the good habits and intentions have given way a bit, and i want to get back on track. normally OS living leaves me feeling fighting fit, but of late its all gone pearshaped and i miss the good ol' days :D

i've got uni due to start again next week, and from here on in it counts towards my degree, so i want to make sure im on top form.

therefore i've decided to put myself on a detox - lots of water, fruit and veg, and rest n relaxation type of thing. none of the faffy overpriced supplements you see advertised, just the common sense that our parents and grandparents used to get by.

or at least, thats the bare bones of my plans, its padding it out into something thats feasable, and that i will stick to that i want your help with.

has anyone done this type of thing before? :confused:
or are there any pearls of wisdom you would like to share?

im determined not to spend this winter going from one cold to another, or arthritis flare up after flare up, so im starting now to make sure i enjoy this winter.

its just knowing where to start thats the problem!
looking forward to your responses,

p_d
know thyself
Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...

Comments

• carol_a_3
    carol_a_3 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Options
    My friend and I did the Carol Vorderman detox a couple of years back. It was great once we got into it although it involved a lot of food prep and cooking, soups, veg stews, pulses etc and some supplements..milk thistle, spirulina to name two. Also dry skin brushing every day.We lost loads of weight though, felt marvellous and no PMT.

It is very strict. There's no fish, meat, dairy (only rice milk allowed) no sugar, soya products. You literally live on fruit and veg and pulses, dried fruits, nuts etc. No wheat either but you can have brown rice and wheat free pasta. I quite enjoyed the cup of hot water with a slice of lemon in first thing in the morning!

The Gillian Mckeith regime is similar but not as strict I think. Good luck with it all.
  • Tim_L
    Tim_L Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As it happens I don't think we had detox in the old days. I suspect that if I had asked my mother for detox food she'd have clipped me around the ear, told me not to be a fussy so-and-so, and chucked another dumpling on the plate...
  • ED_WOOD_3
    Options
    Dear P.D. I did try the fruit and water Detox method for a couple of day`s and was advised before hand of one side effect i.e. that your breath get`s very wiffy.That`s what happend to me and was one reason to cut short the time doing it ,so be careful!!!!!!
    What`s wrong with wearing womens clothes 54% of population do anyway :p
  • nabowla
    nabowla Posts: 567 Forumite
    Options
    Start the morning with a cup of warm water and lemon juice. It's an excellent way to flush the toxins out of your kidneys and is recommended by many dieticians. Also, it may be pure coincidence but I've had far fewer colds since I started drinking hot water & lemon.

Beans (borlotti, canellini) and chickpeas are frequently recommended in the fancy detox books. You can use them in all sorts of dishes - try chickpeas in a veggie curry, beans in soups etc. Butter beans, raw spinach leaves, crunchy sugar snap peas (often reduced in the supermarket at the end of the day) and a vinagrette make a lovely salad.

Have a look in your local library to see whether they have any detox books that you can borrow. Personally I'd detox for a week and then switch to the GI diet: yes, it is partly about losing weight but it's also about a long-term healthy eating plan. I was really sceptical when I started but I've had so much more energy lately, I feel far more alert and am able to cope with even the busiest of days. If you don't need to lose weight you can go straight to Phase II, which is all about healthy living.

One final thing: take some exercise!!! You wouldn't believe the huge difference it makes in your overall wellbeing. I HATED exercise and avoided it like the plague until 6 weeks ago. Going to the gym is not my idea of fun :-( However, I had a few health problems recently and took up exercise 6 weeks ago to see if it would help improve my situation. It's made a phenomenal difference. The trouble with studying is that you're quite likely to get tired mentally but not physically, which can lead to sleeping problems. If you exercise a couple of times a week (personally I like swimming) you'll get physically tired and will sleep like a baby, which will help keep up your reserves for your studies.

Good luck!
  • Ticklemouse
    Options
    I can also vouch for the Carol Vorderman detox. I didn't supplement with spirulina or anything other than any vits I already had in. First time I did it I stuck it for 10 days as I knew I was going to a big blow-out weekend, but even that had me feeling great and losing weight, although I didn't have that much to lose :) Sometimes I stick to it rigidly, sometimes I just follow the basic principles but will join in with the family meal, but with much more emphasis on the fruit and veg, less so on the meat. Overall, I found it got me into eating more healthily as a matter of course. I will now eat a vegan or vegetarian lunch/dinner because I want to.
  • Curry_Queen
    Options
    ED_WOOD wrote:
    Dear P.D. I did try the fruit and water Detox method for a couple of day`s and was advised before hand of one side effect i.e. that your breath get`s very wiffy.That`s what happend to me and was one reason to cut short the time doing it ,so be careful!!!!!!

This is due to a process called ketosis which occurs when your body tries to gain it's energy from stored body fat and produces fatty acids called ketones. The same thing happens in diabetics when they forget to take their insulin, or overdo it on sugary stuff, which is why you should take a sniff of their breath if found unconcious to check for hyperglycaemia!

This is why I don't like these extreme diets as ketoacidosis is extremely harmful to your kidneys and liver over a prolonged period and can eventually kill you!!

Edit: P_D - I'd also advise you have a full check-up with GP before doing something like this too, just to be on the safe side ;)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DH has not had a cold for over a year despite people in every office he visits around the country dropping like flies.

He now boasts proudly about it - has been eating anything in the slow cooker - full of veg - found him eating curry at 7a.m.! :eek:
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Bennifred
    Bennifred Posts: 3,986 Forumite
    Options
    elona wrote:
    DH has not had a cold for over a year despite people in every office he visits around the country dropping like flies.

He now boasts proudly about it ! :eek:

What is he doing to them???? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    [
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    :rotfl: ROFL :rotfl:
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love these threads, the sense of humour of people on these boards is second to none!!!!!

Detox, I find in winter the best form of detox comes from fresh made soups and bread.
    Organic meat (more expensive, but it makes you buy less, therefore less for your body to digest, but a good source of protein)

Hot water with lemon, instead of tea and coffee
    Green tea as a change
    Jasmine tea for another change!!

I make chicken soup for other half, with all the left over bits from the roast chicken on Sunday - except the big bits that he gets to eat during the week.
    A fish dish at least once a week

in fact a good balanced diet will help keep you feeling on top of the world.

Also walk. walk to Uni, walk home, walk somewhere! It's free, you get fresh air and it can clear out all the cobwebs!!!

Good luck with your Uni course - what are you studying, I've just noticed your user name, matches my revision!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure