£60 8ft by 8ft bouncy castle with pump. In-store at Asda

Options
Updated 27 May 2008

What's the deal?

Asda is selling 8ft by 8ft bouncy castles (that are 6ft in height), including a pump which it says can inflate the castle within a minute, for £60.

Considering it costs between £45 and £65 to rent one for the day (excluding insurance), this offer's a bit of a steal if you want to keep three to ten year old kids entertained over the summer months.

Though as one poster, TIPE, below explains, these bouncy castles are toys suitable for home use, not suitable for mass use like the regulated 'for hire' castles.

How to get one

10,000 are available across all of Asda's stores nationwide but it might be worth calling your local Asda to confirm stock is available if you're making a special trip.

Four ground stakes and a puncture repair kit are also included.

What does it look like?

bounceyc2.gif

Alternatives

Woolworths is also selling an 8ft by 8ft bouncy castle online for £65 delivered although, as it's been knocked down in price from £200 to £60 for quite a while, stock is likely to be limited. This one inflates in approx. two minutes and has safety mesh sides.

Health & Safety

Bouncy castles should be great fun, but as a few recent news stories have shown, they do require some care.
  • Always supervise children on them. It's important to ensure bouncy castles are supervised at all times when in use. Although a fun apparatus, unfortunately accidents can occur, especially if wet, so it's best to avoid using unless completely dry.
  • Don't overcrowd them. Also overcrowding can cause it to collapse, so with this particulary castle, a maximum of two children, between three and 10 years old, should only use it at one time.
  • Don't allow big and small children on together. An older child landing on a smaller one can cause serious injury.
  • Check out your insurance. If you're planning on letting children other than your own use it, consider checking that your home insurance will cover any accidents, or get separate cover.
[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
PS. This deal was originally spotted by MoneySaver easter65 below. Thanks for the top spot! This post has been inserted to provide a more detailed explaination and research for MoneySavers coming from the weekly e-mail.

Comments

• easter65
    easter65 Posts: 5,319 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Asda selling Bouncy Castles...8FT X 8FT X 6FT..Includes air pump, Puncture repair kit and ground stakes...£60

Adverts on tv and checked on google..:D
    Best Competition Wins-Brand New Vauxhall Corsa & £3000
  • frugallass
    frugallass Posts: 2,320 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    need to get all the A&E's on standby then

parents:- please ensure that your kids are supervised and have the bouncy thing located in a safe environment
  • Stanbe
    Stanbe Posts: 180 Forumite
    Options
    anyone got a web link?
  • gemma326
    gemma326 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    ohhh im going to havea look, i gotmy 8FT pool from there for £20
  • easter65
    easter65 Posts: 5,319 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Stanbe wrote: »
    anyone got a web link?

http://www.asda-press.co.uk/pressrelease/208

Theyre on adverts really colourful...
    Best Competition Wins-Brand New Vauxhall Corsa & £3000
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    vegetable patch, bouncy castle... bouncy castle, vegetable patch...

:(
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • shown73
    shown73 Posts: 1,268 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I gather that there is some more crackpot legislation coming out soon regarding bouncy castles, so Asda is probably, quite sensibly, offloading them now. Be aware, of course, that in this crazy country as it now is, if your neighbors kiddie injures themselves on your bouncy castle, there is an army of vultures out there screaming compensation. Some aspects of the good old days were, actually, good....
  • meester
    meester Posts: 1,879 Forumite
    Options
    Hmm, I'm pretty sure this is exactly the same price Woolworths have been charging for three or four years now

http://www.woolworths.co.uk/web/jsp/product/index.jsp?pid=50358822

And they had them for £50 b efore on several occasions

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=192127
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/172572/woolworths-bouncy-castle-was-199-no/
  • AlexUK_3
    AlexUK_3 Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    I got this Asda one last summer for £60 my two boys (4 & 2) love it.

It is excellent quality, and goes up in 30 seconds. Also I can pack it all up in under 5 mins from when power turned off.

10/10 product for me.
  • TIPE
    TIPE Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Just a couple of things worth noting on these and other units available through commercial outlets and on the internet.

These units are classed as toys and are not suitable for commercial hire. Any unit that states 'Not for Commercial Use' either on the packaging or in the accompanying paperwork is classed a toy. To the untrained eye these look very similar to a bouncy castle that you would hire from your local supplier but their construction is totally different. Last year we were approached by a number of schools and organisations that had had this type of unit donated, wanting to know where to get insurance. Unfortunately, these are uninsurable and if used for hire or fund raising is in contravention of the Health and Safety at Work Act and the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998. In other words you would be breaking the law.

These units are OK for what they are designed for but you need to be aware that should your youngsters friend injure themselves you could be held liable. This would also apply to trampolines and other garden toys.

This is not written to stop you providing play equipment for children but you need to be aware of the risk. It is imperative that play of this type is constantly supervised. Follow the instructions that come with any piece of play equipment.

There are roque traders in the 'bouncy castle hire' business (as with any trade) and the industry is working hard to isolate them. To assist those wanting to book bouncy castles safely you can find a useful information sheet at www.inflatednews.co.uk/info5.pdf.

Shown73, in an earlier post, referred to 'Crackpot legislation' for the industry. I'm not sure if he is referring to BS EN 14960:2006 which was released in March 2007 but if so then this only applies to commercial units that are bounced on or slid on (bouncy castles and slides) Toy and swinmming pool style inflatables are not covered. This piece of European directive covers the manufacture, mainteneance, operation and annual testing of equipment. It certainly does not apply to the ASDA unit in question.

Hope all this helps but if it throws up any questions I will do my best to answer them for you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure