🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

VISA Electron Rip Off

Options
I travel a lot with low cost airlines and decided to obtain a VISA Electron card to reduce credit card charges when booking with Ryanair.

1. My card does not have a CVV no.

2. I used this card once with Ryanair the CVV no field got disabled
and I managed to book successfuly.

3. I tried to use with Easyjet, the CVV no field was required and I could therefore not utilise the card.

4. I tried again to use it on RYANAIR, the box of CVV did not disappear this time round!

Can you please help or advise whether you encounter similar difficulties and how to resolve them. Is the card accepted by ryanair if the cvv no is not inserted??

I had specifically instructed my bank that I need the credit card to do these sort of bookings.

Do you use to the VISA electron to affect bookings on low cost carriers 11 votes

Yes
36% 4 votes
No
63% 7 votes

Comments

• smithja
    smithja Posts: 561 Forumite
    Options
    Is it by any chance a card you cannot top-up, a gift card? Does it have your name on the front of it?

These are the only cards that are issued without this number and it is for a reason. It is to stop money laundering by trying to convert "dirty" money to "clean" money by buying hunderd of these cards.

Your address is not linked to the card either so even if you had a CVV2 value, when it went to check you live at the address you state you do (as it will probably say you need to give the address the card is registered at) the authorisation will fail.

If you want it to work you need to get the card on a bank account, the gift cards / non-top up cards are only intended for use in a shops in front of the retailer.

James
  • jimbo26
    jimbo26 Posts: 954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    According to their website "Ryanair accept Visa and Mastercard credit cards and the following debit cards Switch, Visa Connect, Visa Debit Electron & Visa Delta for payment of your flights."

According to EasyJets website "Payment for bookings can be made using a debit or credit card (American Express, American Express Travellers Cheques Card, Connect, Delta, Diners, Mastercard, Maestro / Solo, Carte Bleue, ELV, and Visa Electron)."

I think you need to contact your card issuer.
  • maltesedog
    maltesedog Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it by any chance a card you cannot top-up, a gift card? Does it have your name on the front of it?

No, its a card issued by a leading Maltese bank. It is a VISA Electron Card. The card is directly linked to a current account.

Jimbo26, I know that they accept the card. They do not place card charges if you buy with it. The question is how can I bypass inputting the CVV no? The VISA Electron cards do not have this no!!
  • doelani
    doelani Posts: 2,576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with the above replies, I have used Elctron for 3.5 years and have booked online with both companies mentioned.

As jimbo suggested contac issuer and ask why your card does not have CCV number.
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I also travel a lot, and was getting a bit hacked off by being charged for using my cards when abroad (in addition to the pretty poor exchange rate). As most of my travel, both personal and business, is to Italy, I decided to get an Italian VISA Electron pre-pay credit card - 8€ from the Italian Post Office - which I find very useful and widely accepted in Italy.
    I have not used it for buying Airline tickets, but noticed that it does not have a CVV number, so thanks for the warning.
    I did however notice, in jimbo26's post, that Ryannair specifically mention 'Visa DEBIT Electron' rather than Visa pre-pay Eectron.
    I have had problems with Car Hire firms, refusing to accept it for the 'deposit'.
    I have also heard of many outlets, including some of the major supermarkets, who did not accept payment by VISA Electron, although I was told that this may have been to stop underage alcohol sales :confused:
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • maltesedog
    Options
    ask why your card does not have CCV number

The bank said it is normal for VISA Electron cards not to have this number. In fact I found online that some cards do not have the CVV number!
  • jimbo26
    jimbo26 Posts: 954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    maltesedog wrote: »
    The bank said it is normal for VISA Electron cards not to have this number. In fact I found online that some cards do not have the CVV number!

Maybe in Malta but I think CVV numbers on UK bank issued Electron cards is normal.
  • bengal-stripe
    bengal-stripe Posts: 3,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My very first Electron card, some seven years ago, did not have a CVV number (for whatever reason).

If an internet site asked for a CVV number, I put in ‘000’. It worked every time (probably every other number would have worked equally well). It wasn’t my card or VISA needing a number, it was the site needing the space for the CVV number filled.

Try it, you have nothing to loose.
  • maltesedog
    Options
    My very first Electron card, some seven years ago, did not have a CVV number (for whatever reason).

If an internet site asked for a CVV number, I put in ‘000’. It worked every time (probably every other number would have worked equally well). It wasn’t my card or VISA needing a number, it was the site needing the space for the CVV number filled.

Try it, you have nothing to loose.

I am afraid this didn't work with Easyjet this morning. I had to pay with a visa debit and incur hefty charges!!
  • bengal-stripe
    bengal-stripe Posts: 3,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    maltesedog wrote: »
    I am afraid this didn't work with Easyjet this morning.
    Sorry, it worked seven years ago; things might have changed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport