Suggested Delivery Note wording for unchecked items

Options
Hi

I have recently purchased a BBQ online and i am awaiting delivery in the next few days. My concern is that there were a couple of reviews by customers whereby there were missing and/or damaged items and they felt that the customer service was poor. These were only about 4 instances out of 453, so i still proceeded with the purchase because it was very reasonably priced.

I have just received the order confirmation email and at the foot of it does say that the delivery note from the driver MUST be endorsed if there are any missing and/or damaged parts. They will NOT be liable to replace any parts if the note is not endorsed. To endorse it as "Not Checked" is insufficient to them according to their email.

Now the delivery driver is not going to wait while i unpack and then check everything and certainly not while i try to assemble the item. How do they expect you to know if there are missing parts until you actually start assembling it!!!

Anyway, can someone please recommend a suggested wording on a delivery note that would cover me if i open the packaging once the driver has gone and there is a potential fault or missing part??

Many Thanks

Comments

• mother_hen_2
    mother_hen_2 Posts: 461 Forumite
    Options
    Glad this has been raised as I noticed that last week on something I had to sign for and wondered where we would stand if something was missing/faulty.
    I'll watch this link.
  • blue_haddock
    blue_haddock Posts: 12,110 Forumite
    Options
    We sell car parts at work and they sometimes get damaged in transit. We advise all customers to check the items before signing for them. If the courier is unwilling to wait and let them check we advise them to sign for them as DAMAGED.

In this case if they open them up and they are fine it goes no further, if they are damaged we can make a claim.
  • DazedByTheLight
    Options
    Can't you just sign as seen?

That way anything which isn't immediately obvious can be claimed for later.
  • DaisyFlower
    DaisyFlower Posts: 2,677 Forumite
    Options
    B&Q dont mean missing parts, they mean missing items - ie you order 5 items and get 4. The courier wouldn't be responsible for screws, etc missing from within a box (unless it was damaged and they fell out lol)

Most couriers dont accept uncked or signed as seen as it equates to the same as just signing for the delivery.

If the box looks damaged or shows sign of wear etc, sign for it damaged.
  • baby_bronagh
    baby_bronagh Posts: 387 Forumite
    Options
    hi
    Don't know the legal side of it but when I take delivery of anything I always put subject to inspection beside my signature
  • saintscouple
    saintscouple Posts: 4,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the courier is unwilling to wait, simply state missing part.
    This way if you find that a part is missing you'll get the replacement.
    If an item is damaged, you just claim it was missing as stated.
    The courier won't mind as a missing part wouldn't be down to them.

This can also cover yourself should you have a ermmm.. accident with one of the parts :o
  • boots_babe
    boots_babe Posts: 3,234 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I always sign for things like this with a note saying 'Unexamined'.
  • cwp500
    cwp500 Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    thegeeman wrote: »
    Hi

Anyway, can someone please recommend a suggested wording on a delivery note that would cover me if i open the packaging once the driver has gone and there is a potential fault or missing part??

Many Thanks

Just sign with your name and print in block letters "RECEIVED UNEXAMINED".

this gives you the option to quickly get in touch if you detect any problems. a useful point to remember is try and make a note of the reg number of the car/lorry/van that delivers the goods.

This gives added credibility in the instance that someone "doesnt know which of our vans delivered it , so cant trace the paperwork". A minor point but its useful if you want to complain.
    :o Keep trying.........................what else is there to do? :o
  • moneypooh
    moneypooh Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Signing for everything as 'damaged' means companies can abuse the carriers by making false/untrue claims. That doesn't seem fair.
    If there is obvious damage the best thing to do is reject the delivery completely.
    If the carrier won't wait then write that on the consigment note, 'unable to check goods as carrier wouldn't wait' that usually stops the hasty driver!
  • mitchb
    mitchb Posts: 652 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It may take him a while to bring all the parts in, could you not check it while he is doing this and then he would only have to wait a few minutes until you check the last box?

Other than that i would ask him to wait. Do you want part of your purchase with no comeback or an unhappy delivery driver who you will probably never see again?

Also as he or his company will be getting paid by bbq they should be abiding by b&q's rules so should expect to wait while its checked. (although the pressure on some of these drivers can mean rules / courtesy is forgotten )

I have had a delivery before of large items in sections and the delivery men opened the boxes and made sure everything was as it should have been so you may be concerned over nothing.

Good luck i hope you get everything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport