Yoghurt Cake (the easy way)

Apologies if this has been posted before but i just HAD to share this with you.

Joanne1970 on the loquax forums posted a recipe that we stumbed on (hope she doesn't mind us sharing) and we got around to trying it recently (and boy was we surprised).

1 carton (approx 150g) yoghurt
2 cartons caster sugar
3 cartons self raising flour
1 carton sunflower oil
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Method

Beat all the ingredients together with an electric whisk until smooth (or use a fork or hand whisk). Line a loaf tin, pour in and bake for 1 1/2 hours at 160 oc, gas mark 3 for 1 1/2 hours. Adjust for fan assisted oven to 150 oc for about an hour.

We used 125g Asda yoghurt and tried low fat cherry. We also didn't have caster sugar so used brown sugar (sieved and reduced to 1 1/2 yoghurt pots), 3/4 carton of sunflower oil and two eggs. We also omitted the vanilla essence and boy did it just come out perfect.

Theres no mess to content with (1 baking tray, 1 bowl and a yoghurt pot you throw away at the end) and it was really easy.

Hope somebody gets something out of it and thanks to Joanne1970 for a fantastic, original idea :)

We can't wait to try other flavours now LOL :)
A male chef of 4. My restaurant is always full and i don't need to tout for business.
OK OK
I'm a house husband but it did sound better my way :beer:

Comments

• reehsetin
    reehsetin Posts: 4,916
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    made a similar recipe before - needed to make an eggless cake,
    basically the same with plain yogurt and coco powder :D yum
    Yes Your Dukeiness :D
  • Hi all,

I have been trying to find the above recipe for ages. Please will someone post the link for it.

It will be very appreciated.

Thanks.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Barbiegirl,

Mrbadexample's recipe is on this thread:

Chocolate yoghurt cake - the sequel!

There is another thread with lots more recipes but as the search is down I can't find it right now. When the search is sorted I'll add the links to your thread.

Pink

Edit: there are a couple of yoghurt cake recipes on this thread: some ideas for yoghurt recipes please
  • noonesperfect
    noonesperfect Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    Don't suppose any of you kind ladies has a recipe for a cake or muffins that will use up a small carton of plain yoghurt?

I can't eat it "raw" so I have to put it into a dish/cake that is cooked.
    :wave:
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Here's one to start you off (my adaptations are in brackets),but there are lots of others including soda bread

1 pot (small) yoghurt any flavour you like (I used lemon)
    1 pot cooking oil (2/3rd pot corn oil)
    1 pot sugar.... (I used a lot less sugar)
    3 pots self raising flour.... (I used 2 pots flour)

(I added some lemon zest )

1.Preheat oven to 180c
    2. place above ingredients in the bowl and beat till mixed.
    3. Pour mix in loaf tin
    4. Put in oven for 30 mins (180c)
    5. Take out of oven after 30 mins and allow to cool

while cake is still luke warm make a runny icing sugar mixture with the juice from the lemon/orange it give a really fresh tangy taste that is absorbed into the cake.....so scrummy
    For the drizzle:
    Juice of lemon 1 to 3 heaped tbsp icing sugar. Make drizzle quite thin, so it soaks in
    • Preheat oven 190c for muffin size
    • 15-20 for smaller size.
    Mix syrup ingredients together, !!!!! hot cake with a skewer or fork and pour the syrup over. Leave in tin to cool completely
  • buyitall
    buyitall Posts: 3,597
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ooh - you've just reminded me of a lovely recipe given to me by my MIL, haven't made it for ages:

Lemon yoghurt cake:

preheat oven 170 degrees
    grease and line 6 inch cake tin

4oz butter
    8oz caster sugar
    5oz yoghurt
    3 eggs
    grated rind of 1 lemon
    8oz self-raising flour

Beat sugar and butter.
    Add yoghurt, mix well.
    Beat in eggs and lemon.
    Fold in flour.
    Bake for 1 1/4 hrs.

Use the juice of the lemon with icing sugar to put on the top of the cake when it's cool.
  • noonesperfect
    noonesperfect Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    Thanks both, the recipes sound yummy!
    :wave:
  • lindadykes
    lindadykes Posts: 391 Forumite
    I have used this recipe from the downsizer websitesmany times - you can vary it with other flavours rather than the lemmon, I've tried orange and mixed spice, coffe and chocolate and they all work well.
    Unfeasibly easy lemon yoghurt cake
    100ml plain yoghurt
    200g caster sugar
    100g melted butter (melt the butter in a bowl, either in the devil\'s oven if you have one, or over warm water if you don\'t...saves washing up buwahahahaha)
    2 medium eggs
    grated zest of one unwaxed lemon (or more - when did you last hear of someone come to grief because there was too much lemon zest in a cake)
    250g sr flour
    Method/steps

1. Whisk/beat all but the flour together (in the butter bowl).
    2. Beat in 250g sr flour till smooth, no mucking about with folding and it's not a muffin. Personally I didn't whisk it, because that would mean two utensils to wash up, so I used a wooden spoon, and you can't tell.
    3. This is for a 7 inch round tin, 180c for 1 hour.
  • I love this website for giving others ideas on what to try. Thank you (((everyone)))
  • Jammygal
    Jammygal Posts: 1,213
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    sandy2 wrote: »
    Here's one to start you off (my adaptations are in brackets),but there are lots of others including soda bread

1 pot (small) yoghurt any flavour you like (I used lemon)
    1 pot cooking oil (2/3rd pot corn oil)
    1 pot sugar.... (I used a lot less sugar)
    3 pots self raising flour.... (I used 2 pots flour)
    (I added some lemon zest )

1.Preheat oven to 180c
    2. place above ingredients in the bowl and beat till mixed.
    3. Pour mix in loaf tin
    4. Put in oven for 30 mins (180c)
    5. Take out of oven after 30 mins and allow to cool
    while cake is still luke warm make a runny icing sugar mixture with the juice from the lemon/orange it give a really fresh tangy taste that is absorbed into the cake.....so scrummy
    For the drizzle:
    Juice of lemon 1 to 3 heaped tbsp icing sugar. Make drizzle quite thin, so it soaks in
    • Preheat oven 190c for muffin size
    • 15-20 for smaller size.
    Mix syrup ingredients together, !!!!! hot cake with a skewer or fork and pour the syrup over. Leave in tin to cool completely
    Thanks for this .....I am always on the look out for recommended egg free cakes as ds has egg/nut allergy.....will defo give this a go;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure