PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Beans in the slow cooker.

Options
I cant claim this tip as mine, but I thought it a good one to pass on.

We all find the idea of soaking beans and cooking them a drag right? Then we resort to canned ones which work out more expensive.

You can soak them overnight, then in the morning leave them to cook in the slow cooker. When tender, you can then portion them up for the freezer.
Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

Comments

• aurorahelios
    Options
    It's a great idea but is it safe?

They are meant to be boiled for 10mins to kill the toxins, or does this method eliminate the need for that?
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Options
    Why not buy a pressure cooker.
    Overnight soak and 10-15minutes at high pressure or bring to pressure leave 1 hr then 10-15 minutes high pressure.
    Must be cheaper energywise.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • aurorahelios
    Options
    I'm not sure I would use a pressure cooker often enough to make it worthwhile the expense of the initial outlay. I have to confess I know absolutely nothing about pressure cookers, what else would it be used for?
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm not sure I would use a pressure cooker often enough to make it worthwhile the expense of the initial outlay. I have to confess I know absolutely nothing about pressure cookers, what else would it be used for?

Just about everything. My pressure cooker is probably my most used kitchen item.

Rice, potatoes, veg, steak and kidney pudding, steamed sponge puddings, actually there are so many I cannot sit and type them all. Mine came with a recipe book. I am restricted on typing at the moment but hopefully at the end of next week I can do a bit more and will type some of them out for info. You might have to remind me though.
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

They are meant to be boiled for 10mins to kill the toxins, or does this method eliminate the need for that?

AFAIK that only applys to red kidney beans.
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have found this which seems to say it is safe to cook beans in the slow cooker http://www.ivillage.co.uk/food/experts/coach/qas/0,,177274_182195,00.html

but then I found this http://www.vegsoc.org/info/pulses.html
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That unsafe bit, I'm sure, refers to Red Kidney Beans and Soya Beans.

As it is, the Crockpot Cooking book I have suggests that anyway pulses should be boiled for about ten minutes first because it helps the slow cooking process. This, if adopted as the normal way to treat pulses will reduce the risk of problems.

TBH I only ever use tinned kidney beans and they're already cooked.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

That is a good point. As I say it was not my tip, but I will try to find out more about the toxins bit. I have to confess I usually use the tinned ones too, but my sis gave me a packet of chickpeas, so I may have a go in the slow cooker just to experiment. :confused:
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Options
    Bossyboots wrote:
    I have found this which seems to say it is safe to cook beans in the slow cooker http://www.ivillage.co.uk/food/experts/coach/qas/0,,177274_182195,00.html

but then I found this http://www.vegsoc.org/info/pulses.html
    The vegsoc link information seems to me to be the most reliable and confirms what I thought to be the case.
    The pressure cooker information they give may be misleading insofar as the soya beans are concerned. I've never known them to take and hour at high pressure. I do mine for about 10-15 minutes as I do all large pulses.
    The reason I give both 10 and 15 minutes as cooking times is because it varies depending on what I intend to do with the pulses. If they are to be ground into hummus then 15, if they are to be added to Chilli con carne or other stew and get further cooking in sauce then only 10 will be sufficient.

If you follow the vegsociety's advice and overnight soak, then boil 10 minutes vigorously before cooking the pulses in a slow cooker I can't see that there is much benefit in using a slow cooker for this purpose as it appears a waste of time and energy. But as I haven't got a slow cooker I'm prejudiced.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • mah_jong
    mah_jong Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Definately boil the beans for ten mins before adding to a slow cooker ....I didn't and the dinner was fine ......... .the next day! It was cooking for about 18 hours!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure