Gas VS Electric??

Options
Hello,
Im looking to rent a flat and just wanted to ask a quick question. Is there alot of difference between having electric storage heating or gas heating? Ive been told gas is better...but why? and is there alot of difference price wise?
Thanks!!

Comments

• penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Electricity costs roughly 4 times more than gas for the same number of Kwh's on a standard tarrif and about twice as much for economy 7.
    The main problem with storage heaters is that they are not very controllable, i.e they charge up over night and release their heat throughout the day, if the weather changes you can't just turn them on or off as you can with gas.
    On the other hand gas could be a bit dodgy in flats, remember Ronan Point.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • twinklyspecialkag
    Options
    Thanks, blimey 4 times...thats alot!! I think ill wait for something with gas (checking theyve got the gas tested of cause :-) ).
    Thanks
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    When renting, also check if you are directly responsible to the utility supplier for the bill.
    If you are on a meter where you have to get cards from the landlord, then these can be really expensive.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • DGJsaver
    DGJsaver Posts: 2,777 Forumite
    Options
    My OH bought a whistling kettle to boil water for drinks that sits atop the gas ring on the cooker

someone please tell me this is cheaper than an electric kettle...!?
  • Sol00
    Sol00 Posts: 1,230 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes as the above poster said gas is alot better.

I lived in a flat with overnight heaters and if it was a cold day and you have had the heating off for some time, you need to wait until the following day before it's warm. I didn't know it was so expensive though.
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    Options
    whatatwit wrote: »
    When renting, also check if you are directly responsible to the utility supplier for the bill.
    If you are on a meter where you have to get cards from the landlord, then these can be really expensive.

Very good point and the LL can raise their prices above the utilties. You also leave yourself open to various fraud/theft issues with unscrupulous LL's.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure