PC, Networking, Security Help

Options
Have just installed Netgear DG834G ADSL Wireless Router, could do with some help please. Sorry for the long post.
My pc is attached via ethernet cable, daughters(9 years old) pc via wireless dongle.
My questions are.

1 Have setup security using WEP key, is this good enough??

2 How exactly do i access files on daughters pc from my pc??

3 How can i stop my daughter from getting access to dodgy stuff on net, cant stand at her shoulder all the time, ie is their any content filtering software available.

4 I will be setting up Windows XP for daughter with a Limited account, any drawbacks to this.

5 Do i still need a firewall on both pc`s.

Think thats enough Q`s for now, funnily enough when i setup the dongle on daughters pc it found an unsecured network nearby.
Anyway i would appreciate some help or advice or handy hints.

Cheers

Comments

• wolfman
    wolfman Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    Options
    1) Wep should be secure enough, unless you feel your neighbours or anyone in range of your house may try to exploit it.

2) Set up file sharing in Windows. Right click on a folder, then click "Properties". Go to the "Sharing" tab along the top to setup sharing for that folder. To access her machine you either need to know it's ip address (ie \\10.0.0.5) or be in the same workgroup and know the name of her computer (ie \\hercomputername).

3) The router itself may have some form of content filtering via certain keywords. Might be worth checking up on that. If not there are software alternatives but you may have to pay for these.

4) Nope, not unless she needs Admin access which I doubt she will do.

5) Yes, I still have software firewalls installed on all the machines in my network as a second line of defence (to the routers firewall/port blocker). Kerio Personal Firewall is very good as it's light and very efficient.
    "Boonowa tweepi, ha, ha."
  • haggis_muncher
    Options
    Thanks mate, all setup now, just need to keep daughters prying eyes away from dodgy bits of net.
    Cheers
  • highlighter
    highlighter Posts: 423 Forumite
    Options
    With regards to q1 wep should be ok but wpa is supposed to be more sucure, someone correct me if im wrong. Also dont broadcast your SSID and dont select the default channel (11). You could also enable MAC address filtering.
  • haggis_muncher
    Options
    With regards to q1 wep should be ok but wpa is supposed to be more sucure, someone correct me if im wrong. Also dont broadcast your SSID and dont select the default channel (11). You could also enable MAC address filtering.

Went the wep route because i wasnt too sure how to do wpa, have switched SSID off, and enabled MAC, have also installed anti-virus/firewall in daughters pc, just got to figure out how to filter content for her.
    Thanks for the help.
  • solly_2
    solly_2 Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    A list of Freeware filters for parents http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/misctools/fwparents.html

Have a read of the reviews to see which one you'd like to try.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Went the wep route because i wasnt too sure how to do wpa, have switched SSID off, and enabled MAC, have also installed anti-virus/firewall in daughters pc, just got to figure out how to filter content for her.
    Thanks for the help.

You can filter content using the built-in firewall. Put the CD in, click Settings and then Block Sites under the Security heading on the menu on the left.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure