Best digital camera for ~£100-125??

Options
Morning all,

I'm off travelling for 9months :j and want to take a good, compact (i.e. will be inconspicuous in my pocket) digital camera. However I don't want it to be too expensive cos' if it gets nicked I'll be gutted if I've shelled out loads.

Anyone any good pointers or recommendations for such a camera?

Cheers,

WW

Comments

• pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    First of all, lucky git for going travelling, am very envious. However do enjoy yourself, you will love it.

As for cameras have a look at the Canon A75 currently at Boots for £99. However just seen its sold out. However all is not lost, you may be able to pick it up cheaply from Ebay as I know there are quite a few of them on sale. The A75 takes AA batteries, which may be useful when travelling as you don't have to mess around trying to find a power outlet to recharge your battery.

Another camera to look at is the Casio Z30 at 7dayshop. They are selling refurbed ones for £118 (they used to sell them for £99) http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=99937. Also have a look at Ebay for this camera. This is a nice little, very pocketable camera.

Another option, depending on where you are starting off, is to buy your camera while you are abroad. I did that when I went travelling, my first stop was New York and I picked my camera up there for cheaper than I would have if I had bought it in the UK.
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • Grover
    Grover Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    Boots are also doing the Canon Powershot A310 - 3.2 MP Digital Camera for £79.50 if you are looking for a simple point & click camera.

I know this is below your range but it doesn't seem too bad for the price, and you can pick up a Vivitar 4MP camera for around the same price at The Computer Shop. When you add a memory card then this will put it into your price range.
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,068 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I would go for one of the Casio Exilim or Pentax Optio models (Casio is based on the Pentax camera) - depending on how much you want to spend.

I have a Casio model (came out before the revised Pentax) and they have big display screens (2.5cm) not your poxy 1.8 and, importantly, they tend to be (depending on zoom) about 2cm thick - fit nicely in your pockets.

cloud_dog

p.s. one thing to remember is that Pixmania, 7dayshop, etc, are based outside the UK and therefore the cameras come with european electrical specifications. Doesn't cause me big problems but worth knowing. Also you will need a card reader to store your images on so that they are not only on the camera, or so you can take lots more pictures.

p.p.s. when I was looking I use to look through What Camera (I think) becasue at the back of the magazine they rate the camera, give you the plusses and minuses, but also give you all the relevant info, resolution, zoom, camera size, etc, etc.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • wolfman
    wolfman Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    Options
    Have a look on https://www.steves-digicams.com. He does very detailed reviews of a huge range of cameras. Before buying anything I'd recommend checking what he has to say.
    "Boonowa tweepi, ha, ha."
  • Wombat
    Wombat Posts: 957 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Am very pleased with my Nikkon Coolpix 4100. £140ish delivered from 7dayshop (address above), including 256MB SD-Card, 4 rechargeable batteries and recharger with international mains lead. 4MP and optical and digital zoom.

Easy, compact and excellent results. :)
  • user1234_2
    user1234_2 Posts: 298 Forumite
    Options
    cloud_dog wrote:
    I would go for one of the Casio Exilim or Pentax Optio models (Casio is based on the Pentax camera) - depending on how much you want to spend.

I have a Casio model (came out before the revised Pentax) and they have big display screens (2.5cm) not your poxy 1.8 and, importantly, they tend to be (depending on zoom) about 2cm thick - fit nicely in your pockets.

cloud_dog
    Unfortunately I think the 2.5 inch screen Casio Exilims are outside the budget of the OP. But they are good cameras.

Some other online camera review sites:

www.dpreview.com
    www.dcresource.com
    www.imaging-resource.com
    reviews-zdnet.com.com
  • user1234_2
    user1234_2 Posts: 298 Forumite
    Options
    wolfman wrote:
    Have a look on www.steves-digicams.com. He does very detailed reviews of a huge range of cameras. Before buying anything I'd recommend checking what he has to say.
    There's talk on the digital camera forums that Steve is a little too eager to please manufacturers with his reviews..i.e. you see a lot of positive reviews there. So make sure you check those other sites too before buying.
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Options
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts