Halogen Bulbs

Options
codo
codo Posts: 357 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi

Does anyone know if halogen bulbs use alot of electricity. I have 2 lights in the kitchen each light takes four 50 watt halogen bulbs. I was listening to the radio yesterday and someone rang in and stated that a halogen bulb used the same amount of electricity as two bars on an electric fire. Does anyone know if this is true. Our electricity bill has increased greatly over the last 12 months like everyone elses but this comment has made me think of changing the lights we use.

Thanks

Comments

• Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A 50 watt halogen bulb uses, well, 50 watt.

Two bars on an electric fire uses 2 kilowatt = 2,000 watt.

If you have four bulbs, you're using 1/10th of that.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    The person on the phone is talking complete rubbish; unless they talking about house full of halogen lghts i.e. in kitchen, living rooms, bathrooms, bedrooms etc.

The 8 x 50 watt bulbs in your kitchen consume 400 watts(if my arithmetic is correct!!) - that is approx 4p an hour.

A 2 bar fire as stated above is 2,000 watts(2kW) and costs approx 20p an hour.

So you would need 40 x 50 watt bulbs to equal a 2 bar electric fire.
  • codo
    codo Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks alot. Thats put my mind at rest.
  • jdm01
    jdm01 Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    Remember there are Energy Efficient alternatives to these halogen bulbs & can use only 2w.

They are more expensive but are becoming more popular and may reduce in price as this technology ages - search on google for "GU10 LED" & apparently they last longer than normal bulbs.

Hope this helps

J
    Stay happy & enjoy yourself - no matter what !
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The Leds are not a direct replacement for gu10 I gather, they dont give off any where near the amount of light than a halogen
  • iashem
    iashem Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    the leds are supposed to last 30000 hours i bought some for my kitchen and dinning room they dont give of nowhere near enough light and i have had 4 die in under a year
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    Options
    I just bought a few GU10 compact fluorescent tube energy savers on Ebay yesterday to replace the 50W downlights round the house, not as low as LED(but the light is a lot better from a CFL) but at 11W it's still reducing the usage on the lights by 80%, as we've 12 of them dotted around that's a reduction from 600W to 130W for each hour of use, average of about 4 hours use per day over the year it equates to about £80 reduction in electric bill. Cost a bit more than the usual bulbs but at £4.50 each delivered I get payback in 1 year.

(For non GU10 spots i.e. MR16 the options are even less but both Osram and Phillips do energy saving versions that mean a 35W bulb can replace a 50W and a 20W replaces a 35W which still equates to about 30% savings)
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    Options
    I use the megaman gu10's 11w instead of 50w halogens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts