Weekly shopping Budget how much??

Hi all i am newbie me and my DP are in the process of sorting through of finances and totaling up everything at the moment we realise we have to cut costs and top of the list is shopping after going through 3 months worth of statements and working out an average of what we spend in the supermarket we are first going to cut this but cant decide on a realistic figure any suggestions would be much appreciated. Until this point we have spent around £450 a month (sometimes more) this is for 2 adults and one child i thought around £70 weekly and this would include nappies and wipes etc for my son. what do you think ??

thanks

Comments

• earwig
    earwig Posts: 1,097
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    hi that would be a good starting point we are two adults and two kids and we spend around 55 pounds per week and could do it cheeper if oh wasnt a brand name king and insist that all meat comes from the bucthers we used to spend 120 per week easy dont really know what on then i cut it down in steps to what it is now good luck
    i cant slow down i wont be waiting for you i cant stop now because im dancing
  • bonnie_2
    bonnie_2 Posts: 1,463 Forumite
    I would say about £80, i spend seventy on 2 adults and 2 kids, but it is a struggle and only buy value. With nappies etc i would suggest you need a bit more. National debtlines suggest £80 for a couple and one child so go with that then the creditors can't say your spending too much. Any left, use for a outing.
  • Elliesmum
    Elliesmum Posts: 1,519
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Katie11 - have a look on the old style board, lots of threads on this subject with loads of good advice and tips etc.

Start with £70 and see how you go - one of the suggestions is to keep a food spending diary so you can see where your budget goes.

Good luck.

EM xx
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato ;) Make £2018 in 2018 no. 37 - total = £1626.25/£2018 :j
  • immoral_angeluk
    immoral_angeluk Posts: 24,506
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    £50 a week for 2 adults and 2 under 3 here. :)
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • Katie11_2
    Katie11_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    thanks to all for advice think i will start around £80 per week as this is still a big drop for us. thanks again
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,921
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I find you can spend/save £10 a week on little things like juices and 'extras' like cakes that it you don't have you don't eat/drink.

I save a lot by shopping online from tesco whenever there is a good voucher (currently every week in October there is £10 of £30 which covers the £4 delivery charge and still gives £6 off). MY main shop is at sains but anyhting non perishable I add to the tesco shop, I am also ruthless about what is on special (for example we eat different cereals depending what is on special) and I have enough savings to stock up on stuff we use regularly whenever it is on bogof to avoid as much as possible paying full price.
    I think....
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I spend £10/week on all food/groceries for myself.
    This is for all meals (I don't eat in work canteens, I don't go out to dinner, I don't buy fast food)
    I don't have alcohol, cakes, biscuits.
    I don't buy meat.
    My total food waste is a maximum of 1/4 of a loaf of bread every 10 days.
  • there are many factors that can help/hinder the process of dropping what you spend in groceries. I would agree though take it in steps, if you 1/2 what you usually spend on week one you arnt going to succeed. Look on the o/s board http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=33 they have fab very cheap recipies, you can batch cook and then take the extras to work or have it at home when you are alone.

Also look at things you buy with your shopping ie toiletries see if you can buy these when on offer ie bogof/3 for 2 as they work out cheaper, also baby wipes, buy a small bag for when going out but when around the house buy some cheap soft cloths and dampen them with water and wash to reuse (save money and the environment). Honestly this can be done, but small steps make big ones. Dont rush into anything but give yourselfs a few months to get used to the idea and i promise this bill/outgoing will reduce

good luck
  • carlih1
    carlih1 Posts: 846 Forumite
    This is copied from the Nationals Debt Lines proposed spend for families:-
    Housekeeping.This should include food, toiletries, cleaning
    materials, newspapers and so on and a small amount for
    entertainment and other spending.A rough guide would be
    as follows.
    Weekly housekeeping budget
    Single person £35 to £45
    Couple £60 to £75
    Each child £20 to £35
    Non-dependant £20 to £35
    Monthly housekeeping budget
    Single person £152 to £195
    Couple £260 to £325
    Each child £87 to £152
    Non-dependant £87 to £152
    You may find your total housekeeping bill is less
    than these figures if you have a larger family and
    bulk-buy and so on.Your non-dependant may cost
    more depending on their age.
    hth

Carli x
  • yeoyeo
    yeoyeo Posts: 5 Forumite
    I spend £10/week on all food/groceries for myself.
    This is for all meals (I don't eat in work canteens, I don't go out to dinner, I don't buy fast food)
    I don't have alcohol, cakes, biscuits.
    I don't buy meat.
    My total food waste is a maximum of 1/4 of a loaf of bread every 10 days.

PasturesNew how do you do this?!?! I appreciate the no meat and alcohol keeps it down, but how do you get all nutrients etc on just £10??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure