PVCU solvent cleaner - using it!

Options
Following the recent posts here I bought some PVCU solvent cleaner to use on our terribly stained window frames. Following the instructions on the back, to put some on and leave it for 10 mins then wipe off, I am left with a horrible sticky mess, which doesn't wipe off well. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a trick to this?:confused:

Thanks!

Comments

• McAzrael
    Options
    I usually put it on a rag and rub it in and polish it off. Be careful with it. It is abrasive and will take the gloss off the frame. Have you tried using cream cleaner and a lot of elbow grease both to remove the staining and to polish the frame up if you do use the solvent cleaner. If you have a power drill it may be worth your while springing for a sissal mop to save on the elbow grease.

One final thought, how old are the windows and what colour is the staining. Even the most modern UPVC will discolour in sublight eventually (We're talking 20 years plus here). You're not trying to clean off yellow or pink discolouration, are you?
  • cliffe
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'll try polishing up with cream cleaner.

I have tried polishing up with car polish (another one from this website), but it still doesn't go to a gloss (I just used the cheapest from ASDA).

The staining is mainly age - yellowing from being so old (I would guess 20 yrs) and the previous owners didn't clean it. Also, there are lots of singes on the sills from cigarette ash - the solvent cleaner does get rid of them, it just seems hard to use.

I am quite pleased with the results (although I would like it to have more of a gloss), but it is still hard work! (thought the solvent cleaner was supposed to make it easy!).
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you tried turps thats a wonderful cleaner? Usually CIF or any cheap cream cleaner does the trick with a bit of elbow grease.

I have also tried those UVPC cleaners from Screwfix but I didnt leave it on

I found a good cleaner that may or may not help, never tried it on uvpc but its brilliant for hobs, and log burners to remove tar, I wondered if that may do the trick it isnt abrasive, or toxic ist an old fashioned cleaner, its called Bar Keepers friend not many places sell it but Sainsburys does its about £2.50 and you need very little on a wet cloth, it last ages

http://www.homecareproducts.co.uk/tips.htm

Actually Hobbrite does it in link above

title_hobbrite.jpg Cleans:
    bullet_star.gifUPVC Window frames.
    bullet_star.gifMetal alloy wheels.
    bullet_star.gifPushchair wheels.
    bullet_star.gifPlastic garden furniture.
    bullet_star.gifCeramic hair straighteners.
    bullet_star.gifGets rid of black scuffmarks on white trainers.
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Bar Keepers friend does work brilliant on upvc I just used it to clean greyish streaks, dirt in the gaps etc
  • cliffe
    cliffe Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    I have seen the Bar Keepers Friend stuff somewhere - will probbaly get some this weekend when I will spend some more time trying to clean up the frames.

On the plus side, since have put new handles, risers and dust caps on them, the windows are beginning to look pretty good for a fraction of the cost of replacement :j
  • McAzrael
    Options
    Toots wrote: »
    Hi,

Hope you don't mind me butting in but what causes pink discolouration? I've noticed my neighbour's house and they have external beading on their windows which is a peachy-pink colour. Is it that they have been sold inferior quality PVCu?

It's not necessarily inferior UPVC, but all PVC is adversely affected by UV light. On white UPVC windows (which are manufactured with colour stabilisers) this will manifest itself as discolouration (usually pink or yellow depending on the ingredients of the plastic) and eventually will become brittle and cracked. Modern mixes should be photo-stable for 20 years or more. If you were an early adopter and had your windows installed 20 or 30 years ago then I would be quite surprised if they are still white.
  • McAzrael
    Options
    For a really stubborn stain or scratch, use fine grit (400) sandpaper in a rotary sander and polish up with a sissal mop and cream cleaner. Don't sand to deep, the dip will catch the light and be very, very obvious.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure