Luxor Egypt Advice Please

Options
Staying in Luxor Egypt for 2 weeks- can someone give me some advice do's and dont's about eating/drinking/shopping/best places to change money/general advice about Luxor
We are staying at the Maritim Jolie Ville which is suposed to be a good hotel - its in the Thomsom brochure but there are no photos of the hotel--does anyone have any photos??
hope someone can help
cheers
arthur
BREXIT OOPS

Comments

• monkeyspanner
    Options
  • sloppychops
    sloppychops Posts: 6,742 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    "Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
  • GreenNinja
    Options
    Hi, I was in Egypt in May and although visited Luxor stayed in Hurghada, but am guessing the principles are the same!

Changing money in the hotel I think is generally regarded as the safest. They are just as keen on english money as local currency in the shops etc.
    Make sure you barter for goods, whatever price they come up with initially go in with a bid at a bit under half that price. If they don't come down low enough walk away. When we were there there was lots of stuff they tried to sell at quite high prices which we later saw at shops in the airport for quite a bit cheaper such as pewter looking boxes etc with egyptian images on them, bone china ware, etc etc.
    If you are out and about during the day take loo roll with you or they will charge for it!
    Also the handwashes you can buy that don't need water are good, use this after you have touched their money! its filthy and the men carry it around in their pants!!!!
    Don't drink their water EVER!
    Local food is tastes delicious but obviously be a bit careful about where you go. When I went we had lunch in the museum at Luxor which was really nice and no dodgy tummy from eating it!
    Would recommend the museum at Luxor although when I was there we didn't have a lot of time in there.
    Also Karnak temple and over the river The Valley of the Kings, stunning day out! Its very hot at the temples so you need to be wearing loose thin white linen clothing with flip flops, a hat and sunglasses. Try to stand in the shade as much as possible when looking round these kinds of places, you will get very hot very quickly otherwise.

Enjoy!!

:j
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    There's a little chemist just around the corner from St Joseph hotel where you'll be able to buy some Entocid (cost about 30p) for your mummy tummy. Book your trips with the locals on the High St and barter for them. Thomsons will probably take you off for a boring hour or three to tell you how dangerous the locals are, don't fall for it as they only want you to book their expensive trips. McDonalds is only down the road and it's really cheap ;) Enjoy :D
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Crocodile Island & Banana Island are rather nice. Aswan is amazing, try and do the overnighter there. The Red Sea is a must too. Don't forget to always settle on a price before you get into a caliche or falucca.
  • mystic_trev
    mystic_trev Posts: 5,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Luxor's a great place, but not sure i'd want to spend two weeks,there, however I'm sure you'll find plenty to do.

Money - use your Nationwide card at the ATM's for the best rate.

Food - I'd eat where the locals do. The Egyptian diet is hardly Haute cuisine !!! I ate a lot of fish, either shipped down from Alexandria or caught from the Nile.

You'll find plenty of people trying to flog you goods or services, which many people find annoying. Just ignore them and avoid eye contact.
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just be aware of beggers, hawkers, perfume shops, papyrus shops and generally people walking around with their hand out in front of you.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills