Cleaning Mould From Polycarbonate Roof

Options
A couple of times a year I clean the exterior of my (lean-to) conservatory polycarbonate roof. I do this with an old-fashioned stringy mop to which I've attached an extra long handle - and scrub it with hot water containing some CIF oxy-action cleaner (or similar).

This usually works pretty well, but this year there are some stubborn stained areas which look like mould of some sort. Can anybody recommend a product that might shift these please?

Bear in mind that:
(a) The only access I have is the mop which can't apply a great deal of downward pressure.
(b) Due to the slope of the roof anything poured on will fairly quickly run off.

Any suggestions welcome.

(I've hear that Jeyes Fluid may be suitable, has anybody had any success using it?)

Many thanks
Stompa

Comments

• Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,820 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, Jeyes Fluid is the one. I do mine once a year and it's mould free. I use a platform thing to be able to reach up, bear in mind you'll be soaked in Jeyes Fluid and it stinks, so wear old clothes!
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    A dilute Bleach solution will also work
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. With the Jeyes Fluid, does it have to be used neat, or diluted?

Thanks
    Stompa
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,820 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, you dilute the Jeyes Fluid, directions on the tin. Bleach will work just as well but it's much nastier to spill on yourself, (which you will doing this job). It will bleach your clothes, your paintwork, patio and kill the plants it splashes on, so I might stick to Jeyes Fluid myself.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • Stompa
    Options
    Yes, you dilute the Jeyes Fluid, directions on the tin. Bleach will work just as well but it's much nastier to spill on yourself, (which you will doing this job). It will bleach your clothes, your paintwork, patio and kill the plants it splashes on, so I might stick to Jeyes Fluid myself.

Thanks, just purchased a tin, I'll give it a whirl!
    Stompa
  • Stompa
    Options
    I've just spotted this product:

http://uk.hg.eu/wizard-shop/index/id/2816/productId/445/prevention_and_removal_of_green_slime__algae_and_moss_

Has anybody tried it on a polycarbonate conservatory roof? If so, was it any good?

Thanks
    Stompa
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How about jeyes fluid

It cleaned my epdm flat roof North facing which had algae, just left it on for 30 minutes brushed off with a fine sweeping brush and rinsed off
  • CHIHUAHUA
    CHIHUAHUA Posts: 214 Forumite
    Options
    I've found that a strong solution of washing powder and hot water works wonders on painted outside walls that have become green ! - its better than using bleach and would probably work on your roof - just leave it for a while before rinsing off
  • Stompa
    Options
    savemoney wrote: »
    How about jeyes fluid

It cleaned my epdm flat roof North facing which had algae, just left it on for 30 minutes brushed off with a fine sweeping brush and rinsed off

Thanks, I've tried Jeyes fluid before and it does a reasonable job, I was really interested to know if this HG product was better though.
    Stompa
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport