BT Telegraph Poles on my property

Options
Does anyone have any experience of BT (or subcontractor) erecting a new telepgraph pole on their property ? Got home from work on Monday and a completely new pole has been whacked 20 feet in my property, basically in my front garden. It doesn't replace an existing pole and I've not been notified in any way. All I can seem to do is write to BT to object, there's no 'phone numbers or anything. Any advice gratefully received
Cheers

RedChilibilly

Comments

• rde
    rde Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    Ther *should* have been a notice on it inviting objections to the pole being there. BT don,t ask for permission, they just erect it and then ask for objections.

You object to
    BT Wayleaves,
    PP11OA
    Communications House
    Harlescott Lane
    Shrewsbury
    SY1 3AQ

There should be a number on the pole identifying it.

There is a time limit to the objection. I think they wait a bit before putting the wires on it.

I think this is very arrogant of BT working this way, but an insider friend of mine said that if BT asked for permission they wouldn't get it nine times out of ten!

If you don't object, you can charge rent. They put a pole at the bottom of my garden and I ended up applying for a rental payment. There is a 14 month waiting list for the processing of rent! Also they only pay if the wires from the pole go to someone other than to you.

HTH
  • b.abraham_2
    Options
    thanks for the info. I'm firing off letters, so will include the one to that address. it's all hooked up and working, cos they kindly asked my neighbours if their 'phone was OK, so looks like I'll be requesting rent in the meantime.
    As you say, damn arrogant and another reason to switch to another provider. At least I'll have a good suggestion for where BT can put the pole when they eventually come and remove it !
  • angelak_3
    Options
    Can you not sue them for trespass?
  • Jim02
    Jim02 Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anybody know what the rental income is on a pole? Presumably the homeowner is entitled to it even if the pole is already there when you buy the house?
  • Lewis_Gerolemou
    Options
    I have an electricity pole on my parking area at the front of the house which is shared by BT. In order to improve my parking area I have had it moved twice at no cost to myself because it supplies other houses. The second time they took ages to come and do the work so I told them that I had ordered a generator for my own electricity and that I was going to cut half way through the pole so that it became dangerous and would qualify as an emegency. They believed me and promptly turned up and put in a new pole and connected the electricity cables to it.
    Today (a year later) five telephone wires are tied up with a bit of rope that is looped around the electricity cable. Several BT engineers have responded to my many phone calls to rewire the cables but when they turn up they make an excuse and go away. When the rope rots and all five of us complain and copper wire trails all over the road I suppose we may get the job done.
    I get £6 rent for the pole. I don't understand how they can just turn up and plant a pole without permission unless they can claim that if you don't take the pole we can't supply the service to you. I was told that if my pole had only supplied our house then I would have to pay to have it moved and it would have cost hundreds of £££s
    Lewis Gerolemou
  • Choccyholic
    Options
    I've started another thread on this topic on the "Gas, Electricity and Water" board, thread called "Rent for BT + Electricity poles, subs, pylons etc"
    Nuts just take up space where chocolate ought to be.
  • sazzy1_2
    Options
    How do you go about charging rent for the poles on your property?
    I have a pole with several lines running from it to other houses....?
  • ps646566
    ps646566 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    I would have thought this is another one for the CAB -- what is the law about erecting poles on private property and accessing said property in order to do so ?

I do know that all sorts of organisations can legally access our private property for all sorts of reasons. Much of it harps back to the days when they were all public utilities and bodies. Now they are private, our business-friendly New Labour government will not of course do anything to curb their activities.

I would check it our if I were you. At best you might be able to make them move it, at worst you may get some financial compensation. Either way it should cause them some hassle, which has to be good in itself.
    I blame Blair
  • ukjoel
    ukjoel Posts: 1,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Erm - Chainsaw???
  • robash
    Options
    How do I go about moving a BT pole in our garden? it doesnt supply anybody else but its smack in the middle of our lawn and I would consider paying to have it relocated to closer to our boundary.

How much will this cost or does anyone know who the best person is to speak to?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure