Retaining no claims bonus while not driving.

Options
rbulph
rbulph Posts: 547 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
If you stop driving for a few years, can you still claim the no claims discount that you were entitled to when you stopped driving if you take up driving again a few years later, or do you have to start again from scratch?

Comments

• ArsenalFC
    ArsenalFC Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Options
    Most insurance company gives a period of upto 2 years without insuring in you own name, some others less. Morethan for example only let 6months without insurance.
  • saxmund
    saxmund Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    It used to be 3 years with Direct Line - I was without a car for a little over 3 years. When I signed back up with them they didn't give me any NCB but restored it in year 2. However this was probably 10 years ago now so practices might have changed.
  • Cumbrian_Male
    Cumbrian_Male Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In general, if you don't hold insurance for more than 2 years then you are back to scratch.

I was in a company car for 7 years, a letter from my employer got me discounts but not actual NCB. I have also found that being a named driver on someone else's policy can help, as I have been asked this when getting quotes.

HTH
    I have a cunning plan!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts.

• plane_boy2000
    plane_boy2000 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure if this is legal or cost effective but you could insure a non existant car to maintain your no claims. Pick something in group 1 and insure it third party only with no value and the premium should be low
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure