Please help ! - 2 years Powergen Electricity Bill

Options
alison25
alison25 Posts: 9 Forumite
PLEASE HELP ME !!!!
To cut a long story short we have been living in our house for 3 years.
I gave ameter reading when we moved in, and endless meter readings have been taken by reps or by myself - but until now, have never received a bill.
I have contacted them Powergen on a few occasions, and was told that it was being sorted out and a bill would be with me shortly.
I have just recevied a bill for £1274.09 ! along with a letter stating that due to the length of time it has taken to produce thier bill, they would only bill me for 2 years usage ! Horror !
Now then, I had a young chap round my door from another Electricity company who told me that Utilitiy companies could not bill for more than 1 years usage. I tried to check this with offwat, but got no reply.
Can you please advise ?

Comments

• Crystaltipps_2
    Options
    The Billing Code that all suppliers are signed on to stops them from charging for usage over 2 years old if they haven't billed for it within that time. On July 1st 2007 (I think), this will reduce down to 1 year.

You may well be able to get an extra discount by calling Powergen, especially if you have been ringing in the past and requesting a bill rather than sitting back and waiting for it. You will definitely get two years to pay off the debt, if you want to pay it off over a period of time.
  • Gal
    Gal Posts: 437 Forumite
    Options
    albertross wrote: »
    Horror? I'd be quite happy with a years free power.

offwat = water

Probably why they didn't get a reply.

As someone has already mentioned Powergen agreed to sign the code of conduct for the ombudsmen meaning that from July 2007 they can only bill for 1 years worth of usage. Since they have sent you out a bill before this time they are within reason to charge you for 2 years.

They will allow you to spread the balance if you contact them to agree an arrangement but as someone has already mentioned you have had a free years worth of electric already.

Did you not think to put money to one side if you were not getting a utility bill as it was always going to catch up with you at some point?
  • The_barber
    The_barber Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    a very simalar thing happened to me my story is on this site somwhere??? (the barber) it happened at work and then at home to cut a very long story short i told them i was going to see my lawyer about the bills i was recieving at my shop and home (or not recieving was the case) and when we told them i was seeing my lawyer the next morning, that night i got a phone call and my electric bill was wiped clean from that day forward for home one but not business one. if you look out for post some where on this you can read the whole story or near enough !!!!
  • kkpolobear
    kkpolobear Posts: 452 Forumite
    Options
    same thing happened to me mine was around 18 mths before i got the bill and i was on at them every few days and they were saying it was being sorted out then out of the blue i got a bill for £700 with no time to pay as they say its my problem but its theres
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure