Best prepaid credit card

Options
Hi

looking for the best prepaid credit card with the lowest charges.

Any ideas

Thankyou

Snake

Comments

• Colliefrog
    Colliefrog Posts: 602 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Snake,

I am currently looking into prepaid cards too and have found the following threads... hope they are useful to you.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=326137&highlight=prepaid+card

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=311257&highlight=prepaid+card
  • Blushbaby
    Blushbaby Posts: 110 Forumite
    Options
    I applied for a Splash one today. Does anyone have one and if so. how long did it take to arrive?
  • jsmith9156
    jsmith9156 Posts: 267 Forumite
    Options
    Blushbaby wrote: »
    I applied for a Splash one today. Does anyone have one and if so. how long did it take to arrive?

Ages!!! Over 4 weeks!

The other James

IVA Payments Coutdown -
    IVA completed!! Now the cleanup begins!:D
    Rebuild Credit Time: Vanquis CC with £1000 Limit (£0 Balance)
    Sim Only Contract with T Mobile
    All adding little green ticks to my credit file :D
  • sicker
    sicker Posts: 1,370 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What do you mean by pre-paid? I keep my Egg Money credit card with a positive balance and get !% cash back paid yearly and 4% interest paid monthly. I can also draw £500 cash daily ae atm's with no charge. (as long as it stays positive.)

John
  • ---lee---
    ---lee--- Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    sicker wrote: »
    What do you mean by pre-paid? I keep my Egg Money credit card with a positive balance and get !% cash back paid yearly and 4% interest paid monthly. I can also draw £500 cash daily ae atm's with no charge. (as long as it stays positive.)

John

Prepaid cards are accepted by merchants in much the same way as credit cards (there are exceptions like car hire, hotels etc), but they have to be topped up with money before they can be used. A bit like pay as you go phones.

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/cards/prepaid-cards-guide1.asp
  • sicker
    sicker Posts: 1,370 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So Lee you would surely be better off using Egg Money as a pre paid card. Look at al the plus's.

John
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sicker wrote: »
    So Lee you would surely be better off using Egg Money as a pre paid card. Look at al the plus's.

John

yes but these cards are usually used by people who can't get credit (very poor credit score ) or people who aren't allowed credit (IVA, un discharged bankrupts etc) or people who dont want credit for whatever reason.
  • dgregory
    dgregory Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Mint, part of the RBS group, offer a gift credit card which is a pre-paid card and is more like a debit card. It cost £3 per card to set up and can be prepaid up to £250. I think they are less impersonal than a cas or cheque gift with more choice than store gift vouchers. I've even been able to specify delivery dates - which so far has been met.
  • Leesa_2
    Leesa_2 Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Blushbaby wrote: »

It took my card 7 days to arrive and that was in December :)

I am very happy with my splash plastic card. You can put money on the card for free by transfering money from a bank account to your card. Otherwise, its 10p fee per £10 you top up, at paypoints and the post office. It's a lot cheaper than having to buy postal orders :T
  • jsmith9156
    jsmith9156 Posts: 267 Forumite
    Options
    There are a couple of prepaid cards that have cheaper fees than the SplashPlastic ones. The Extreme card is one that comes to mind. No monthly or Transcation fees, and its only 70p to load up at the Post Office. (https://www.extremecred.com)

I'm working on a page to add to my blog showing the pros and cons of each card, PM me if you want a link. :)

The other James

IVA Payments Coutdown -
    IVA completed!! Now the cleanup begins!:D
    Rebuild Credit Time: Vanquis CC with £1000 Limit (£0 Balance)
    Sim Only Contract with T Mobile
    All adding little green ticks to my credit file :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family