Nationwide CashCard + local charges

Options
Dear Forum,

After having read Martin's advice, my girlfriend has opened an account with Nationwide so as to spend on it when we go abroad and get the best possible exchange rate.

A couple of questions:
1) She received a Cashcard, rather than a credit card and I was wondering if this is still usable abroad.
2) Nationwide has no control on local charges issued by the owner of the cash machine. Is it possible to know what machines may / may not levy a charge for withdrawals?
3) In regard to 2), say I pay with the card for shopping, can I still charged a surcharge? How does one find out?

Thanks in advance.
StarX

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    1) Yes, it is usable and it is even safer. There is no danger if it is lost or stolen.
    2) Local charges are possible, but I was always lucky. You can try with some bank and then check your account online. However, it can take a few days for foreign transaction to appear on you account. ‘Available funds’ can change faster, so if you make only one withdrawal the difference between balance and available funds will give you ££ equivalent. You can also try investigating local banks' fees in advance, before leaving UK.
    3) You cannot use Cashcard for purchases. If you use debit or credit NW card there still is a small probability of surcharge as was discussed HERE .
  • StarX_2
    StarX_2 Posts: 63 Forumite
    Options
    Many thanks for your reply, it helps a lot!

Am I going to get charged if I just use the foreign ATM to check my balance?

StarX
  • Chadsman
    Chadsman Posts: 1,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    StarX wrote:

IMHO unlikely.
    God save the King!
    I'll save Winston Churchill, Jane Austen, J. M. W. Turner and Alan Turing.
  • grumbler
    Options
    StarX wrote:
    Be prepared to discover that a lot of (most of?) foreign ATMs do not offer you this service!
  • Rafter
    Rafter Posts: 3,850 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another thing to watch our for, particularly in parts of europe, is retailers trying to charge you in £. They then apply an uncompetitive exchange rate and you would have been better off paying the Euro amount and taking the banks exchange rate.

R.
    Smile :), it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
  • newfoundglory
    newfoundglory Posts: 1,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    grumbler wrote:
    Be prepared to discover that a lot of (most of?) foreign ATMs do not offer you this service!
    grumbler is right. I don't think you will find a foreign ATM which can give you a balance. Exchange rates are changing all the time, and until you go to take out the cash no conversion between GBP and the local currency will be made.

I'd avoid ATMs in convenience locations... airports, hotels, theme parks etc. I know when I was last in the US that the one in the hotel (an american express machine), changed a flat fee of $3 (because it said on the screen). Machines at banks tend to be cheaper... 50c, $1, $1.50 upwards. You may find a machine which is free.
  • grumbler
    Options
    I don't think you will find a foreign ATM which can give you a balance. Exchange rates are changing all the time, and until you go to take out the cash no conversion between GBP and the local currency will be made.

I think this needs some clarification.
    With most of UK ATMs you can check your current balance even without making a withdrawal. Usually (always?) you cannot do this abroad. This has nothing to do with exchange rates, but is a matter of communication between banks.
  • paulc1008
    paulc1008 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    grumbler wrote:
    I think this needs some clarification.
    With most of UK ATMs you can check your current balance even without making a withdrawal. Usually (always?) you cannot do this abroad. This has nothing to do with exchange rates, but is a matter of communication between banks.

ATMs at ABSA Bank in South Africa do provide balance enquiry on a UK-based Nationwide Flexaccount - but they do quote the balance in Rands, not sterling
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure