A car insurance quandry

Options
Hi there
I'm buying a 1999 golf 1.9 TDI and been quoted ridiculous amounts via all the usual scraper websites to insure it, including tesco value and direct line.
I'm 34, been driving for 17 years, never had an accident, no points on my licence, but the cheapest quote i got for 3rd party was £473 (Provident Yes), £512 (Diamond). I've not had my own car for about 8 years so I'm lacking in no claims bonus. Even so, it still seems awfully high.
If I add my boyfriend to the premium it comes down by about £50/£100.
I live in London now, but I'm moving to Ireland at the end of March, so I'm looking for a bit of advice on what to do.
Do I... Insure it over here and will it cover me in Ireland?
Do I.... get temporary insurance (although this seems to only cover 28 days - about £130 for a month) and insure it with an Irish company when I move over there? (Irish insurance companies can be quite expensive I hear)
or
Do I... Insure it with an Irish company from the very beginning, bearing in mind it's only going to be in the UK for about a month before the move? (Presumably they allow you to drive your car overseas for a month or so...)
Heylp....
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Amy

Comments

• Mrs_pbradley936
    Options
    I have friends in Ireland and they tell me that the car insurance premiums are very high. I think it depends on how long you will be in Ireland – for good or only a few weeks. In other words your permanent address because the figures quoted will take where you live into consideration.
  • nickmack
    nickmack Posts: 4,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    amyvic wrote:
    I'm buying a 1999 golf 1.9 TDI and been quoted ridiculous amounts via all the usual scraper websites to insure it, including tesco value and direct line.
    I'm 34, been driving for 17 years, never had an accident, no points on my licence, but the cheapest quote i got for 3rd party was £473 (Provident Yes), £512 (Diamond). I've not had my own car for about 8 years so I'm lacking in no claims bonus. Even so, it still seems awfully high.

With zero no claims bonus, this does not seem excessive. Remember if you had full no claims, this would be less than half.
  • Minimods
    Options
    It's definitely the fact you have no NCD, the quotes don't seem too bad to be honest. I think the best thing to do would be phone up an insurer and tell them your situation. If you have proof you have been driving another car (such as a company car) a lot of insurers can take this into account.
  • maclean2
    Options
    Hi - first of all premiums in Ireland have come down considerably in Ireland over the last five years and are much nearer UK levels.Try Quinn Direct and they will quote you for both countries if you want to check that out.

I would suggest that you insure in Ireland from the beginning provided an Irish insurance company will accept a UK registered car.

If you want short term insurance in the UK use ecarinsurance.co.uk monthly pay as you go.

As you will be living in Ireland permanently you will have to re-register the car there in due course.I cannot help you over that but I believe that the car licence there is considerably more than here.The cost is related to engine size so you may want to check this before you buy a 1.9 litre car.

Best of luck
  • peterg1965
    peterg1965 Posts: 2,159 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you been insured on anyone elses car insurance recently? That may help reduce the premium, some insurers will certainly take this into account.
  • amyvic
    Options
    Thanks for all your considered and valuable help. I appreciate all your comments.
    Kind regards
    Amy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family