Advice on Amstrad E-m@ailer +

Options
Hi

Just bought one of these from ebay but it didn't come with a manual.

Seems to work fine but it wants to register when first switched on. I only want to use it as a phonebook, answering machine and handsfree phone so do I have to register?

Is there a list of call costs potential workarounds on the Internet for using this machine?

Have I bought an expensive lemon?

Any advice, thoughts etc. welcome

Thanks

Allan
You don't win silver - you lose gold

Comments

• MoneyMachine_2
    Options
    I bought one about 18 months ago - had it about 2 weeks b4 I had to take it back to Dixons. I told them it was faulty and got my money back.

They seem to be money making boxes rather than useful items.
    I bought it for the same reasons - the loudspeaker on home phones is really handy.

The main problems were the fact that I HAD to register it to use it. The manual repeats over and over that you MUST follow the registration instructions or you DEFINITELY wont be able to use it.
    Once registered it then checks your amstrad e-mail account every day whether u want it to or not at a cost of about 20p oe something.

The unit I had is also constantly bombarded with Adverts which I was unable to opt out of or switch off. This causes the screen to light up for ages. I had this in my bedroom so this 'feature' was probably the worst of them all for me.

Most of the things the phone offers at a cost are free on the internet - sms, e-mail etc and the phone comes across to me as something which is almost obsolete in todays internet driven homes and I can't see why Amstrad are continuing to pump money into this.

I'm sure there'll be 1 or 2 folk who love these things though......
  • iwannamotorbike
    Options
    Hi MoneyMachine

Thanks for the advice. I certainly don't want non-authorised calls to check email. A feature I don't want or need. At 20p a pop this alone could cost £73 per year. And they know what they can do with their adverts!!!

I can't believe no-one has sussed out how to avoid the registration procedure.

Anyone spotted an informative website?

Thanks

Allan
    You don't win silver - you lose gold
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business