John Lewis Laptop problems....

Options
Hi all, I hope this is the correct board for this question.

Do I have any rights re small claims?

I bought a John Lewis laptop (£1600) in September 2004, it had a two year guarantee. I returned the laptop three times as none worked. They replaced the laptop each time no problem. Eventually I got a working Toshiba laptop. In December 2005 it stopped working - the battery pack and charge bit failed. I took it back and they replaced the ac cable. The ac charge cable that was replaced was different to the one sent away.

my first cable had one connection from the wire that you plug into the computer and the one that came back had what looked like two connections,like an extension. I do hope I am being clear!

Roll on till the end of August 2006 when the ac connector broke of inside the computer. I was just within the two year guarantee period but john lewis say the damage is accidental and therefore not covered. I have never had any accident withthe computer and my argument is that the connection was not robust enough to be fit for the purpose itended. they said the charge for repair will be £637.

many, many letters later to customer services, store managers, chairman of JL! they will not back down though offered £200 off the cost of repair. i have had to pay the £437.

Can i claim this back or at least try to? Can anyone help me withsome advice?:confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure